Parental Notification for abortion

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
If he were an activist judge, he wouldn't recuse himself, he would simply find a way to impose his own moral beliefs.

Instead, he stated that he could not in good concience hear these cases. He, in essence, said "I cannot be unbiased on this, so another judge should hear this case". I guess you don't like that answer?

Sounds like what the judge did was a fair thing, remove himself from cases he did not feel he could judge impartially. Furthermore, judges recuse themselves from cases all the time....cases involving former clients, friends, relatives, former co-workers. Any case that brings to doubt in the mind of the judge that he can't be impartial are thought impartial, it is his DUTY to recuse himself.

I suspect I wouldn't see a leftist activist judge do the same...he would simply allow the case to go forward and secretly insert his/her biases in to the final decision. Remember, the judge has the final say. He can make up whatever justification for reaching a decision if that's what he wants, even if that justification has nothing to do with why they REALLY made the decision.

Instead, this judge honestly said he felt he should recuse himself from these cases.

If judges didn't recuse themselves, you'd be very upset wouldn't you? How mad would you be to get a DWI and then have to sit before a judge who lost his entire family to a drunk driver? Wouldn't you feel he should recuse himself? I have no doubt. Does that make him a bad judge if he does? Hardly.

Many in the same position would just quietly insert your prejudices. Open minded? Hardly, just the appearance of it. I applaud the judges honesty.
Allow me to refer you, and your arguments back to this post.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=430085&postcount=16

This is from the Ethical code of conduct for the State or Oregon. I would assume that every state has a similar clause in their code of ethics.

(C) An Administrative Law Judge shall not, in the performance of official duties, by words or conduct, manifest bias or prejudice based upon sex, race, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, or socioeconomic status.
What is the appropriate action for a judge who is unable to uphold the code of ethics for his profession?

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, I love the ignore feature. It allows me to hide the same repititous crap some people spew out, without engaging any brain power. It's also cool that I can push a button, and see the comments posted by someone on the ignore list. This little bit of extra effort is a safety buffer ... to remind me that the comments under the Ignore list are Ignored for a reason.

Here is a perfect example:

sgtmac_46 said:
I suspect I wouldn't see a leftist activist judge do the same...he would simply allow the case to go forward and secretly insert his/her biases in to the final decision. Remember, the judge has the final say. He can make up whatever justification for reaching a decision if that's what he wants, even if that justification has nothing to do with why they REALLY made the decision.
Stupid comments like the first clause in this paragraph are the reason sgtmac_46 should be on everyone's ignore list. Instead of discussing a Judge withholding the right of citizen to petition her government, he turns it into a broad-brush denigration.

What's the moral of the story, boys and girls?

Remember, there is a reason to use the Ignore List.

I had not clearly read and absorbed this paragraph before responding. Shame on me. Shame on me. Shame on me.

P.S. No doubt, by the way, he means how Justice Scalia has recused himself from his hunting buddies' petitions before the Supreme Court of the United States.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ask again: Isn't it good to recuse oneself if one fears bias? Am I right that another judge is hearing this case now, and so she is not getting a biased judge, because he chose to recuse himself?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of the "moral" pharmicists who refuse to fill birth control perscriptions. (Not counting the ones who actively steal them for good measure because they're so moral.) Denying the service is a form of activism.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I ask again: Isn't it good to recuse oneself if one fears bias? Am I right that another judge is hearing this case now, and so she is not getting a biased judge, because he chose to recuse himself?
Several points ... which have been mentioned before.

>>>>Isn't it good to recuse oneself if one fears bias?
A - Not according to the the code of ethics for the profession.

>>>>>Am I right that another judge is hearing this case now, and so she is not getting a biased judge, because he chose to recuse himself?
This is not a single judge. Five of the Nine judges in this county have taken a similar stance of not hearing these petitions. The story reports that judges in others states are also taking similiar positions. Is it right for a judge to decide which laws he will allow himself to participate in.

As for this individual young lady ... I do not know what happened to her. According the news report, some 14 other young women in the last year, brought similiar petitions before this county court. Records further back, apparently, are not kept.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, Mikes right. These judges should keep their opinions secret and take these cases. If all the pro-life judges recuse themselves then all the pro-death judges get the cases....:p

Latest Discussions