Other arts you would like to try

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yoshinkan is an iteration of Ueshiba's earlier teachings and although Yoshinkan was "founded" after the official use of the "Aikido" name was being used, the applications relate more closely to the jutsu aspects of Aikido.

I'm curious what you mean by "due to its age".

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yoshinkan is an iteration of Ueshiba's earlier teachings and although Yoshinkan was "founded" after the official use of the "Aikido" name was being used, the applications relate more closely to the jutsu aspects of Aikido.
I suspect it still fits within the Dai-Nippon Butokukai's definition of Aikido (at least, so far as I understand that grouping), and with my own. I've been told NGA looks a lot like Yoshinkan, and have heard some conceptual similarities from folks I've discussed it with online. I keep hoping to run into an experienced practitioner in person, so we can compare approaches and concepts.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Would like to see their definition. In practice and application, Yoshinkan is unique compared to the other , later developed, versions of Aikido.

I train with a 5th dan and an 8th dan Shioda Sensei UchiDeshi, and I can tell you that it has nothing to do with the execution of Aikiki that I also train in.

I suspect it still fits within the Dai-Nippon Butokukai's definition of Aikido (at least, so far as I understand that grouping), and with my own. I've been told NGA looks a lot like Yoshinkan, and have heard some conceptual similarities from folks I've discussed it with online. I keep hoping to run into an experienced practitioner in person, so we can compare approaches and concepts.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would like to do more Tai Chi.
Presently continue to train and teach/coach Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Pekit-Tirsia Kali, Combat Submission Wrestling, Boxing, MMA, and train BJJ. Keeps my plate full. Continue to dabble in Tai Chi, JKD, & Silat. Have training in Shotokan, TKD, Hapkido, and Judo.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would like to see their definition. In practice and application, Yoshinkan is unique compared to the other , later developed, versions of Aikido.

I train with a 5th dan and an 8th dan Shioda Sensei UchiDeshi, and I can tell you that it has nothing to do with the execution of Aikiki that I also train in.
I don't want to drag this further off-topic, but I look forward to digging a little into this with you sometime.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
My kicks are OK, due to TKD training, I'm currently in BJJ, so the grappling should come along at some point. I would really like to develop my hand striking better, so Muay Thai (because of elbows, too) would be great and I would like to do a weapons art because I never have (Kali or Escrima). Alas that pesky thing called "life" gets in the way. For now I'm happy with the the BJJ.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After I had built up my MA foundation from the long fist system, I always want to train MA systems that can help me in

1. speed (such as preying mantis),
2. power (such as Baji),
3. grappling (such as Chinese wrestling),
4. pressure points (such as Zimen).

After I have found out that no matter how hard that I may try to achieve my 4th goal, I'll never be able to achieve it. I'm quite happy to be able to achieve the other 3 goals and I no longer need anything else.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd like to do some Judo.

To you guys who mentioned Tai-chi, particularly the combat aspects of it, I would like to as well -

But, with your experience in the Arts, especially you old Fs, I think if you spent just a few months in Tai-chi you would pick up and/or develop your own aspects of combat application. I mean, you already know how to fight, you have for years, decades even. Applying motion, any motion, to what you already do well, works fairly easy. Especially pushing or pulling someone off their base. [Or off their feet.]

It's kind of like a really cool new toy.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would love to train with Dan Innosanto's interpretation of JKD.

I would also beat down Doc Chapel's door to train in SL 4 Kenpo.

I got mat time with Bill Shaw last week in Han Foo Wa out in Vancouver and if I could I would train there without question.

Mark

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To late for me now getting to old but I would have loved to do -

• Kung Fu Wu Shu - for is fast stylistic approach
  • Tai chi chuan - for its energy movement
  • Kung Fu San Soo - for its vicious attacks
Check them out on YouTube awesome they need to be kept alive though many are falling away from existence sadly.

There is a few more but they would be my 3 top choices love those arts ;)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions