Origin = Shaolin

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by 7starmantis

What "others are you talking about? Other countries systems?

Obviously other systems that supposedly came from the Shaolin temple.

Originally posted by 7starmantis

If martial historians are "hacks" then you would have no history on any "other" systems either, correct ?

Not sure what you are trying to say here.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Bod

The system of breathing and exercises has not disappeared. It is the basic Chi Gung like Eight Pieces of Brocade etc.

No, that is incorrect......the Ba Dau Chuan ( 8 brocade set) is not that old.

Originally posted by Bod

The Shaolin styles have a philosophy, training method and theory that are distinct and have clear links with Indian Buddhism.

Seeing how Buddhism is from India and the Shaolin monks are Buddhist monks I don't see how they couldn't.

Originally posted by Bod

The details may be hazy, but trying to contend that the core of Shaolin Kung Fu is not Indian Buddhist style of techniques for health is ridiculous.

Really? Ridiculous? How so?
I would say they are a little more than "hazy".

To be honest I find this topic to be rather pointless in discussion.
There will always be someone who believes the Tao Mo version and others that do not..........personally I don't care since it can't be proven either way............I am siging off this thread as of now.

Later.........

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan

Obviously other systems that supposedly came from the Shaolin temple.

Not sure what you are trying to say here.

So in regards to the "other" systems you are refering to maybe, preying manits, and those type of systems then? And the system that is "no more" is what system exactly ? I would be interested in seeing your documentation on this as well.

What I am saying is that you discredited martial historians as a whole but then relyed on martial history for your proof, if martial historians are inaccurate, your proof is as well.

7sm

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't say that Tamo, and the dates given are historical fact.

What I'm saying is that there is truth in the story, as evidenced by the way Shaolin Arts are practiced today.

Which to me is what matters. Historians can argue over the details as much as they like.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A Sept. 26 Associated Press article notes that the Shaolin monks are trying to enforce the trademark on their name and stop companies from using "Shaolin" without paying them.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, if I had the ability to cash in on everyone in the world that was hanging on the coat tails of the Shaolin Myth of Martial Arts Origin, attempting to link themselves in some tenuous fashion to the mythical, mystical, magical fantasy of the Shaolin Temple a la David Carradine, I would jump on it!!!

There are enough martial arts frauds out there taking advantage of the unsuspecting and ignorant, without adding the Shaolin wannabes to the mix. While I do not agree with the study, practice and teaching of martial arts for profit, the name is theirs legally (I suppose) and if folks want to use it, they can do the necessary paperwork...

It would be nice to see the Shaolin wannabes have to take down all their signs and have to try to compete for local interest without the martial arts buzzwords...

(E.g. There is a martial arts school near here that alleges it provides instruction in Shaolin kung fu. Surprisingly enough, the instructor didn't know what Chuan Fa was... go figure. Legitimate Shaolin? I doubt it, Buddhist buzzwords or not.)

Gambarimasu.

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by arnisador

A Sept. 26 Associated Press article notes that the Shaolin monks are trying to enforce the trademark on their name and stop companies from using "Shaolin" without paying them.
Today, the Shaolin monks are nothing more than devout Buddhists. Nothing spectacular really.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist

Today, the Shaolin monks are nothing more than devout Buddhists. Nothing spectacular really.

These ones were all posing with staves--all young, say around 10.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist

You bet. That's why, as devout Buddhist clergy, they are more concerned with their tourist income and making world tours of their wu shu acrobats than they are in meditation and prayer...

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to see all the illigetament "schools" of shoalin be forced to put on their signs what they are really teaching, but then you get censors and people get all up tight about big signs that say, "Come learn Lethal @#$@%$@". :D

7sm

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I learned some 'Shaolin Fists' or Sil Lum Chuan from a totally legitimate teacher.

Because his teacher taught some amalgamated Southern styles they used a generic name, but it was still Chinese kung fu pure and simple.

The name doesn't belong to the Shaolin Monks Travelling Show.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bod

I learned some 'Shaolin Fists' or Sil Lum Chuan from a totally legitimate teacher.

Because his teacher taught some amalgamated Southern styles they used a generic name, but it was still Chinese kung fu pure and simple.

The name doesn't belong to the Shaolin Monks Travelling Show.

The problem is the people on this thread don't believe that there is any legitament shoalin systems. I think there are, but there are also alot of illigitament ones too. No, the name doesn't belong to the monks, but how do we seperate the legitament with the not so?

7sm

R

RyuShiKan

Here is a thought:

Instead of having the Shaolin monks going around on their Traveling Show giving what amounts to a display of Wushu and parlor tricks (laying on spears and what not) why don't they go around to all the non-legit schools that claim to be Shaolin and kick ***........and film it while they do it. That way we can see "real" Shaolin Kungfu "in action", and they would get rid of all the bogus schools at the same time.
Of course they would spend the rest of their lives doing it since there are so many that make such claims.