Origin of some "Kibons"

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious about the short "forms" in the begining of this video. In my organization, we call them "Kibons." My understanding is that were designed by GM Park, Hae Man. I'm not sure that the title of this video, "1980 Kukkiwon Taekwondo Promo Testing" is accurate (or even what that might mean).

Can anyone tell me if they were desined by GM Park? Are they a Chung Do Kwan exercise, alone? For broader Kukki-TKD use?

We use them as an exercise sometimes instead of, & sometimes in addition to basic techniques as a part of class.

http://youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=IIVTKYIZy2k

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting video. Thanks.

No idea about the CDK or GM Park connection, but by my guess these 'Kibons' could be an adaptation of the now seldom used Ten No Kata from Shotokan.

[yt]IIVTKYIZy2k[/yt]

[yt]8bWujh_3Us0[/yt]

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm curious about the short "forms" in the begining of this video. In my organization, we call them "Kibons." My understanding is that were designed by GM Park, Hae Man. I'm not sure that the title of this video, "1980 Kukkiwon Taekwondo Promo Testing" is accurate (or even what that might mean).

Can anyone tell me if they were desined by GM Park? Are they a Chung Do Kwan exercise, alone? For broader Kukki-TKD use?

We use them as an exercise sometimes instead of, & sometimes in addition to basic techniques as a part of class.

http://youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=IIVTKYIZy2k

I do believe that GM Park created those. I believe he created those and taught those when he was the chief instructor for both the Chung Do Kwan headquarters gym as well as when he was the chief instructor for the Kukkiwon Instructor Course, which he taught for about 20 years. All his students learned those.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do believe that GM Park created those. I believe he created those and taught those when he was the chief instructor for both the Chung Do Kwan headquarters gym as well as when he was the chief instructor for the Kukkiwon Instructor Course, which he taught for about 20 years. All his students learned those.

Thanks puunui! Do you know anything about the video itself? It says its from 1980, but I would guess a few years earlier. The dolyo chagi without much pivot on the supporting foot are a mystery to me.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks puunui! Do you know anything about the video itself? It says its from 1980, but I would guess a few years earlier. The dolyo chagi without much pivot on the supporting foot are a mystery to me.

Yes, it was a promotional film that was put out by the Kukkiwon/WTF when the great push began. I want to say that the original film came out around 1975 or 1976. I grew up really close to the Korean Consulate (used to deliver newspapers there as a kid). One day a friend and I went there to ask about taekwondo, and they showed us that same film. It was the first time we saw the taeguek poomsae being done. It was palgwae back then. The film is kind of long, it goes through all the taeguek and some of the higher forms, plus the kibon forms, sparring, breaking, etc. You can see GM Park in there, and also GM LEE Chong Kwan, demonstrating Keumgang near a river or water.

Crazy stuff that we used to do to get a small edge. Now, it's all on the internet....

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it was a promotional film that was put out by the Kukkiwon/WTF when the great push began. I want to say that the original film came out around 1975 or 1976. I grew up really close to the Korean Consulate (used to deliver newspapers there as a kid). One day a friend and I went there to ask about taekwondo, and they showed us that same film. It was the first time we saw the taeguek poomsae being done. It was palgwae back then. The film is kind of long, it goes through all the taeguek and some of the higher forms, plus the kibon forms, sparring, breaking, etc. You can see GM Park in there, and also GM LEE Chong Kwan, demonstrating Keumgang near a river or water.

Crazy stuff that we used to do to get a small edge. Now, it's all on the internet....

This was first Taekwondo film what I saw. I think it was 1980 :) in Helsinki, Finland.

/Markku P.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can see GM Park in there, and also GM LEE Chong Kwan, demonstrating Keumgang near a river or water...
It was good to see the old master when they were young doing the same forms we do today. It was also good to see taeguek chil-jang being performed at the end of that video. It also looked as if they had kept a flavor of the ITF style of kicking back then. Up down motion with the hand to the sides when doing front kicks.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
This was first Taekwondo film what I saw. I think it was 1980 :) in Helsinki, Finland..

1980 was when the film was made or when you saw it? I think there were two separate films made, one longer than the other. There were all kinds of other stuff in that film we saw at the korean consulate, I want to say there was color belt ranking, some footage of GM SON Duk Ki doing taekkyon, and that sort of thing.

Latest Discussions