Opening The Cowl A&B

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, for a technique to fall into the "war art" category, it must incapacitate the opponent within the first two movements. If it does not, then it is defined by what it does within those movements as either a joint lock or strike, or a push/pull. There is overlap and grayed lines, because any of these concepts can be applied within the framework of just about any technique.

So, because Opening Cowl is designed to break the arm on the first move, it is a war art. But, it strikes the joint, so done a bit softer, you may change the classification. Or, on the turn, you may execute the strike to the elbow up higher towards the shoulder and use a right palm rather than a fist to shove the opponent, and now you have used a push/pull. In all three, the "technique" changes very little, but it's effect does.

I learned something today. I guess it was good to get out of bed this morning!

Thanks Dave, i appreciate the explanation.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, inside jokes in public just ain't fair!

No inside joke here... I zinged him, and the "kid" got lucky and got me one better... However, I have friends in high places... He'll never see the next one coming... Muwahahahahah%-}

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lucky for me I know a lot of high people in LOW places and I'm a big time knee checker and foot sweeper. :p

Latest Discussions