Opening Attacks/Motions in Sparring

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, this has almost definately been asked before. But, i flipped back a couple of pages and didnt find anything apparent.
Ill quickly say that there are two reasons for this thread. The first is that im half-looking for ideas, and the second is that im curious.
We shall also assume that this is Contact Sparring. How heavy Contact? Different places ive seen differ between what levels of Contact they use when Training, so just go with whatever you do :)
Where i Train, that would be Light or SemiContact depending on Rank and Age.
And as far as i can see, Level of Contact can influence Tactics.

--
So, to the point (Or if you dont feel like Reading anything else):
When Sparring, what is your preferred Opening Attack (Assuming you attack; I.e., Sliding Front Kick) or Opening Motion (Assuming You Defend; I.e., Assuming A Low Stance), or the quintessential "Other, Please Specify"?
--

Personally
, for Opening Attacking, i favor a Skipping Lead Leg Instep (Round) Kick, simply because i can stop it after the Step Up, and switch to a different Technique if i need to; If i dont need to switch technique, it is easy to follow on with various Combinations. For an Opening Defensive Motion, ill generally move my Front Leg back, until its about 30cm (About 10 Inches) away from my Rear Foot, and lift it slightly off the ground, allowing for Lead Leg Kicks, or a quick turn into a Back Kick. Optionally still, if someones Guard looks too good to challenge, i shall assume an equally strong Guard, and begin Strafing around.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I usually prefer to counter, so I usually wait for them to come to me and then do a prop sidekick when they are in range or sometimes a turning side kick. We spar full contact and level of contact greatly affects how I spar. When I did karate it was light contact and I did things very differently when it wasnt full contact.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no favoritite or prefered opening move. Each opponent will offer something different and you must use what is effective for what they give you.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My favourite opening move is the jumping side kick. The moment the referee says "Go" I step forward, jump up and do a side kick. I will most likely never leave the ground for the rest of the fight but it keeps them guessing that I might.

OP
Cyriacus

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I usually prefer to counter, so I usually wait for them to come to me and then do a prop sidekick when they are in range or sometimes a turning side kick. We spar full contact and level of contact greatly affects how I spar. When I did karate it was light contact and I did things very differently when it wasnt full contact.
Yeah, i find that once you get into the higher levels of contact, you need to significantly reconsider your actions, particularly in defence.

There is no favoritite or prefered opening move. Each opponent will offer something different and you must use what is effective for what they give you.
Of course - But given choice, you have to have some kind of preference, even if its just a Stance.

My favourite opening move is the jumping side kick. The moment the referee says "Go" I step forward, jump up and do a side kick. I will most likely never leave the ground for the rest of the fight but it keeps them guessing that I might.
And its a hard one to counter, especially if your elbows are around your Torso; Which would probably tilt the psychological aspect in your favor, at least for a little while :)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
What about when you are sparring someone you've never met and have no idea how they spar? When the ref says "go", shouldnt you have some basic stratergy? The rule at our club for gradings is that you cant spar anyone from your own class, they just match you up with a complete stranger of similar weight, height and age and one belt higher and you have to spar them. Its all over so quick, you dont always have time to just bounce around and get a "feel" for how they spar, you have to just get straight into it and thats where I find having an idea of what you will do when it starts is a great advantage.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, i find that once you get into the higher levels of contact, you need to significantly reconsider your actions, particularly in defence.
...and in attack. When its light contact its ok to throw in some flashy stuff because if it doesnt come off you cant really get hurt, but in full contact (particularly with head punches) against the higher dans you really want to just stick to pretty basic attacks aimed at the mid section because the cosequences for a mistake can be quite vicious. I remember a first dan coming back to training after a long absence and we did some sparring and he tried a (very rusty) spin hook kick as his first move. The consequence was him on the ground unconscious, it wasnt pretty.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...Of course - But given choice, you have to have some kind of preference, even if its just a Stance...
No, that is just it, depending on what is seen will dictate what is need or should be used. Not because I like any one particular move or not. I stress this to all the people I help train, it is all about what you see, anything else is guessing. That is my belief.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I almost always lead with a jab or backnuckle. Get them moving back and their hands moving up. Then I kick low, close the gap, engage with grabs, strike at close range, takedown and finish. The details vary, but that's the basic strategy. Long range to short range to control to finish. If they try to escape I give chase. If they try to press I control with holds until they escape. I don't usually yield ground, but I'm a big heavy guy so I can usually get away with that. Besides, I'm usually sparring underbelts so I have the advantage in technique and experience as well as size and strength.

It really is context specific though. The targets for the strikes, whether I stay at mid range and pummel my opponent or close the gap quickly and go to a control maneuver, whether I follow my opponent to the ground after the takedown or stay on my feet and strike from above, it's all context specific. What are his strengths? What's the terrain? What's the ruleset we're sparring under? How do we match up physically? What are his tactics and strategies? It's fine to have a plan, but no plan survives first contact with the enemy. If you aren't ready to improvise, you better be ready to take a beating.

Plans are good. Fights are something else. Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

-Rob

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
What about when you are sparring someone you've never met and have no idea how they spar? When the ref says "go", shouldnt you have some basic stratergy? The rule at our club for gradings is that you cant spar anyone from your own class, they just match you up with a complete stranger of similar weight, height and age and one belt higher and you have to spar them. Its all over so quick, you dont always have time to just bounce around and get a "feel" for how they spar, you have to just get straight into it and thats where I find having an idea of what you will do when it starts is a great advantage.
All understood, but there are always things you should see right from go. Are you in open or closed stance, are hands up or down, where is your opponents weight distrabution, where are his eyes...and so on. You still have a ton of things to read and should see them quickly and base your attack or counter on what you see.

For example, if you like using lead leg step up kick as someone said as your open then what if your opponent and you are in an open type stance (both facing the same direction, the same as being your right leg back and their left leg back). That open would allow for an easy KO as your lead leg would be attacking to the back of your oppnent. Easy to guard and counter without even moving, Even if a follow up technique is planned. In my opinion that would be a bad read and a bad decision.

It really does not matter if you know your opponent or not, you must read them. Knowning your opponent only makes for an easier read. It also allows for know tendencies. So it is even more important to be able to read as your opponnet will know your tendencies as well.

Always take what you see. Again that is just my opinion.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
at the old women's division with light/medium contact.... (;))

It depends.
First match, you kind of feel out your opponent.
The you go back study what the next one might do.

But generally (given my division) I like to throw out some kicks in combination, normally I am not likely to receive a lot of high kicks.

If I were to spar a younger guy, I'd probably be in trouble tho :D

OP
Cyriacus

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL

did I mention my class is the old gals?

yeah, I am normally good with my guard....but youth can circumvent that normally, too....
Yep, you did :D
And it gives me hilarious mental images :)

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My opening move sparring is to begin some movement and checking, and observe my opponent for tendencies and openings. Checking is movement designed to draw a reaction from the opponent. I attack to an opening, not just to kick, and it will be more than one technique as the first technique does not always score. FWIW, my context is Olympic style full contact.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I want to amend my earlier comments.

My opening move in a street fight is to look over my opponent's shoulder and go "What's that!" and make my eyes real big and point with my lead hand. If it's a fight in the karate school, I wait until my opponent bows and then I kick him while he's looking at the floor, or sometimes I reach out to shake his hand and if he makes the mistake of taking my hand I pull him in for a sucker punch.

-Rob

Latest Discussions