Open message to lower belts

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is an ongoing poll regarding closing the Study, and there has been some concern expressed that when it comes to martial arts (as opposed to politics/religion, etc) that a less advanced member of MT may not feel as if they have as much to contribute when the discussion is limited to martial arts.

I would just like to encourage anyone who feels that way to re-think their position and consider posting more frequently when they do see a martial arts topic on which they have an opinion.

First of all, the beauty of this forum is that all opinions are welcome. This is certainily not the case at most schools.
I was told by a visiting GM several years ago that "if you are not at least 3rd dan, you are not entitled to an opinion". That's not the case here. You can question, or express an opinion to a more senior MA-ist here in a manner that would not be accepted at many, if not most schools.

Second, regardless of your level of experience, what is often more valuable than your opinion is your perspective. If you are a more senior practitioner, you are either a teacher, or a potential teacher. As a senior, you may know more about a technique, a concept, or a tidbit of history than a lower belt, but you can only grow as a teacher if you are willing to look at things from the perspective of the student now and then. What I'm saying is, if you are a lower belt, your perspective is valuable information to any senior belt who
is serious about teaching at some point, or taking their training to "the next level". If you are a senior belt, you are foolish to dismiss a well thought out
post from a lower belt.

Since we are all "artists" in many ways, I view this forum as a giant mural that all of us are always adding to, and the contribution of lower belts is just as important in its own way as that of the more senior members.
I would hope that none of us would skip a sparring session at school just because we might have to go a round or two against a more senior student.
You have to stick your neck out a bit now and then if you want to grow.
The important thing is, in sparring or here at MT, we all show each other respect, and show the same consideration verbally that we would show on the mat.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well stated.

Everyone has something to offer, even if it's just a fresh set of eyes viewing a situation. Sometimes the more experienced folks here might overlook something simple (various reasons, such as desensitization, etc), and that simple thing can be very important.

Also, the less-experienced folks can give the more experienced folks an insight that they may have forgotten. Yes, we were all beginners at one point, but time does tend to wreak havoc on some of the old memories.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If low belts weren't allowed an opinion here, I'd have alot less posts. ;) Everyone who can communicate in a polite manner is welcome, I don't care if you're a 12th degree or can't even figure out how to wrap that stiff new white belt. It's all good. Even when we're wrong, it still opens doors for others to join in. Without us non-experts to continuously challenge the experts, they get can stale and the conversations dull as we never see anything new and they never think outside their box. I say, ask questions, give your own opinions, even if they turn out to be wrong. It's the only way you learn, by exploring things and processing new perspectives. :) Us "dummies" make those "smarties" smarter, and us too. :D

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are no stupid questions except for the ones that don't get asked. :)

Everyone has something good to contribute, even if it is just asking a question that hasn't been asked in a while. Gets us all thinking and discussing which is the whole point of MT, isn't it?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
There are no stupid questions except for the ones that don't get asked. :)

Everyone has something good to contribute, even if it is just asking a question that hasn't been asked in a while. Gets us all thinking and discussing which is the whole point of MT, isn't it?

Oh Yea here is a stupid question:

If the chicken cross the road to get to the other side ( what was the chicken doing out of his coop in the first place).
Terry

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Oh Yea here is a stupid question:

If the chicken cross the road to get to the other side ( what was the chicken doing out of his coop in the first place).
Terry

*Bangs head on wall

Okay, lol, I stand corrected. :rolleyes:

(there really is one in every crowd, isn't there? ;) )

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
You have to stick your neck out a bit now and then if you want to grow.
The important thing is, in sparring or here at MT, we all show each other respect, and show the same consideration verbally that we would show on the mat.
I really needed to be said, and you said it well. I HOPE that many read and consider this!
Thanks MT

Besides, I think that the best thing that a martial arts neophyte can bring to a forum like this is the perspective of a new student. We could all use (often) the experience of seeing what we do, how we do it and why we do it.... through new eyes. Also: newbies bring something even greater to the table....
QUESTIONS!!!!!

Sometimes those of us that've been on the board for a while OR have higher ranks (Black +) are rather stuck in our ways OR don't feel free to ask a question....because that'd give the impression that we just don't know. Some Might see this as a weakness or a show of inexerience. But we can only grow through questioning....and those who act as though they already know it all.....well, we already know them for what they are; and their judgement doesn't hold as much water as they'd like.
Those who "Belittle"... Be Little.

SO...ask those questions, no matter if your belt is white or black.
Just something to think about.

Your Brother
John

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As this cop/trainer/martial artist I work with says, "Nobody knows everything, but Everybody knows something">

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
I would just like to encourage anyone who feels that way to re-think their position and consider posting more frequently when they do see a martial arts topic on which they have an opinion.

Soon as some types don't pull rank and start shouting about how "your instructor has lead you wrong" (meaning you can't possibly have an opinion on anything on your own, it's all spoon fed to you to regurgitate without thought) if you happen to disagree with them, then this atmopshere will clear off.

Latest Discussions