Online training

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It appears to be generally agreed that learning from a video as a sole learning source just is not the way to go. I instruct in person and I still see issues.

As it's been said, video and internet technology can be helpful to live students who need reference, perhaps the opportunity to slow down and analyze a transitional piece or to reinforce recall of material. But there is just no substitute for live training with a warm body or three.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Based on the original poster's bio on the site linked in his signature... Let me ask a simple question. Would a web-based training program be an adequate substitute for a police academy and subsequent field training, especially for a new rookie with no prior law enforcement experience? Or would it be lacking something essential for most to succeed?
Isn't this how we get mall security? :p

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have never taken an online or video course for martial arts training. I have, however, attempted to learn some golfing techniques from the Golf Channel and from a couple of books. They did give me some ideas - but the learning came from hitting golf balls, and having a knowledgeable person watch me hit golf balls to correct what I was doing wrong. When one is inexperienced, one does not know how to "feel" one's own movement.

From a marketing perspective, it seems to me that the primary motivator to pursue the dissemination of knowledge via the internet is to appeal to a broader market. Unfortunately, this sometimes necessitates the creation of completely invalid arguments, such as "online courses have not been around long enough to create a master", implying that there is a possibility that such an occurrence is possible.

The truth of the matter is, there is no better teacher than experience. That experience must be supported by meaningful feedback and honest contemplation. Meaningful feedback cannot be provided by the uneducated observer, as the uneducated observer is not capable of understanding what they're seeing, and the uneducated do-er is not capable of asking the correct questions.

Personally, I'd rather spend my alone training time working on the repetition of fundamentals that can honestly be done alone. I see remote training pitches as money grabs with little value for cost.

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The truth of the matter is, there is no better teacher than experience. That experience must be supported by meaningful feedback and honest contemplation. Meaningful feedback cannot be provided by the uneducated observer, as the uneducated observer is not capable of understanding what they're seeing, and the uneducated do-er is not capable of asking the correct questions.

You know, this ties in with something I have been considering.

We have focused a bit on how people trying to sell you video instruction courses do so out of a desire for money, and probably some ego.

But doesn't anybody think that someone taking a video course demonstrates a huge amount of ego?

Seriously, look at the quote by Flatlander. It is very clear that an uneducated person can't give decent feedback. It seems very clear that this is true.

But those taking these courses seem to think that they can give decent feedback. They do not need a teacher to point out their mistakes- they are good enough even without experience in the art!

Doesn't that strike you as being a bit egotistical?

Not only that, but consider that all the great masters really needed someone to teach them. There are stories of sword masters living with their teachers. But the video course folks think that they do not even have to be in the same time zone as their teacher. The ancient masters might have needed a real teacher- but they are too smart to have to rely on that!

Really, are we doing any favors to the dojos that want real students by convincing people that they should go to them instead of staying home with their videos?

Jjp

White Belt
Reaction score
What if you where to send a video back to the online instructor of you training and him to tell you what you should and should not be doing? Would this be better because i want to learn muay thai and that what i am probably going to be doing on account of i dont have the money or schedule for classes.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What if you where to send a video back to the online instructor of you training and him to tell you what you should and should not be doing? Would this be better because i want to learn muay thai and that what i am probably going to be doing on account of i dont have the money or schedule for classes.

If you read back through this and similar threads, you will see that the vast majority of people believe that video is a great adjunct to training with an instructor, but cannot replace an instructor; even with feedback from video, it is too easy to fall into bad habits, and too hard to break them. Especially when you are first starting, you need to work with an instructor directly, not through a camera.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Online training can have a place. Many things can be learn thru ONLINE training.

Many things taught in Martial arts can be learn thru videos, that is why there is so many videos available.

Is this the best way to learn the martial arts? "NO" but is can supplement your training.

Today online training is becoming a huge way to teach many things. Look at all those excerise videos? ...it seems to work...tai bo?

Most of us agree martial arts is better to learn in a real live class with many students.

Is it possible for someone to learn martial arts thru online training and become an expert? Yes off course it is possible.

At the same time look at all those people who take martial classes and learn very little how to fight back.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Online training is not for me. I need my Sifu standing behind me telling me to do it again (and again, and again, and again). I need the esprit de corps that my dojo provides.

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is it possible for someone to learn martial arts thru online training and become an expert? Yes off course it is possible.

Can you name a single person who has become an expert through on-line or video training? I don't know of anyone.

Of course, I don't know of anyone that can flap his arms and fly- but maybe there is the same chance that someone can as there is of someone becoming an expert through a video course.

But I am talking about real martial arts- not tae bo or anything like that. I know a few guys that put out tapes that are supposed to be just enough to get by, or for people with the basics of an art under their belt and add what they show.

But to date, I know of no real masters from deep arts like Taiji that would even consider trying to teach a beginer through a home video course. The only ones that seem to try are those more interested in money than in their students welfare.

Latest Discussions