Online martial arts courses

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What you're doing is putting YOUR goals for martial arts and YOUR educational philosophy onto someone else.

Maybe they're not expecting to get a "solid education". Maybe they're just enjoying a fun hobby. Maybe they have the focus to learn the techniques properly online. It's what I'm doing with 3-section staff.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you're doing is putting YOUR goals for martial arts and YOUR educational philosophy onto someone else.

Maybe they're not expecting to get a "solid education". Maybe they're just enjoying a fun hobby. Maybe they have the focus to learn the techniques properly online. It's what I'm doing with 3-section staff.

And if what they are doing is learning bad technique which causes them back problems/hip problem etc etc.? would that still be fun? There is a certain type of arrogance involved when people think they can teach themselves something that others have spent years learning. It's not about 'focus', it's about learning something properly. Would you encourage young girls for example to learn how to go en pointe from a video just because they want to dance around their bedrooms and have fun? It's no different with martial arts.

Sorry, it simply must be done

Have you seen the programmes about the RNLI on BBC2 in the evenings? Staggeringly brave people looking after often complete and utter idiots.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you seen the programmes about the RNLI on BBC2 in the evenings? Staggeringly brave people looking after often complete and utter idiots.

Oh I know, like that plonker who set sail in a bath...

Want to do it, fine - but you should waive your access to any rescue services.

Me in the sea? Yeah, alright, on a ferry, just. I swim like a cat and I know it...

Flailing, screeching, clawing at anything in range with a look of wild panic in my eyes ;)
1WSJ9h

But, I think there's a miscommunication going on here...

You said:

other currants in the sea?

The only reason there are currants in the sea is because someone dropped their pack of dried grapes.

It's currents you need to watch...

(Yes, I was being facetious)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you

- squeeze a small rock among 3 of your fingers daily.
- lift a 100 lb heavy bag with bear hug daily.

You can still develop strong grip and strong bear hug without any teacher.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Opinion - both are great supplements to training. And two, like a lot of others, I highly recommend.

Otherwise, they're great for squeezing small rocks and lifting heavy bags.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't remember if I said this already, so I apologize if I am repeating myself. I think online courses work well if you have a strong foundation in a previous art. It could work for Black Belts, for example, who are trying to pick up some additional tips or techniques from a new art. It wouldn't work well if a stand-up martial artist was trying to learn grappling, but if a Kenpo practitioner wanted to learn some JKD-stuff, sure, if there is a sold martial arts background already in place.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They might teach you the wrong stuff in the dojo.
I was going to say that too. There was a Karate school that taught Taiji. When their students did Taiji, it was like a car with square wheels. It goes 1,2,3,4, and 1,2,3,4, and ...

If you learn Taiji online, at least your Taiji may be continuous. So which one can be worse?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was going to say that too. There was a Karate school that taught Taiji. When their students did Taiji, it was like a car with square wheels. It goes 1,2,3,4, and 1,2,3,4, and ...

If you learn Taiji online, at least your Taiji may be continuous. So which one can be worse?

Yeah. You would absolutely get consistency.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Their Toes and Asking for Trouble, Self-Taught Ballerinas Go Online

Why would you think martial arts is any different from this? I especially liked the comment that anyone teaching themselves has a fool for a teacher. We've seen on here before people telling us they get hip pain when kicking and asking for advice, we say ask your instructor but it turns out they're teaching themselves. Jumping/spinning/flying kicks are being learnt from video and learnt wrongly. People learning chokeholds, ankle locks etc online then using them on friends such a good idea... not.
It can be surprisingly easy to hurt yourself learning from videos when you are a beginner or intermediate student and what is worse to continue to hurt yourself because you receive no correction or learn how to do techniques properly.

There's a different between learning 'the wrong thing' and learning badly performed techniques which cause permanent damage.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
It doesn't count as a 'course', but I learned how to do a twisting kick using online and printed resources...

Caveat: I'd been doing TKD and kickboxing for over a year under actual instruction.

Possibly because of the instruction, I started by doing it slow and adjusting position whenever I felt anything start to get tight - instead of ploughing through telling myself I must just have to get used to it.

It's not a theoretically complex technique, but you can easily damage yourself doing it wrongly.

There are some things you just have to condition toward, but as a complete beginner following an online video/written course, how do they identify that?

Even the type that offers feedback on you sending a video in, that could be weeks of practicing (and ingraining) pulling your hip - which a face-to-face instructor should spot and correct straight away.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Case in point...
And probably all of these people are obviously coached.
Ahhh I cringed at every single one of those... who knew the pole could actually snap! Scary stuff haha..

I think what was brought up before about having a foundation can really help, and I really don't think it's a black and white issue. There are pros and cons to it, and it very much seems context dependent. It depends on what the goal of the training is and what you're wanting out of it. Of course you're prone to not doing it correctly, injuring yourself etc, but that may be said for many many things that you can learn on your own. But it can be quite a valuable experience teaching yourself something.. Having a teacher always obviously helps, but I know many musician friends/associates who have pretty much become self-taught, and are absolutely incredible at what they do.. Obviously different to martial arts in terms of risk and general activity, but nevertheless a skill learned well.

Depends on the activity, depends on the willingness and openness to learn, depends on the complexity of the activity, depends on the maturity of the participant, depends on the capacity of the person and genetic/neuromuscular/joint predispositions.. too many 'it depends'!

Might be a case of if we're discussing 'is it a good idea?' vs 'is it possible?'

The point about currants was really important too.

(..... that one got me.. XD)

That's really great we're discussing this topic finally... hasn't been brought up ever before so I'm glad we can address it......

XD

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's really great we're discussing this topic finally... hasn't been brought up ever before so I'm glad we can address it......

The topic of learning online has come up multiple times over the years, so much so to many of us it's like flogging a dead horse. However as you have just got here it's cool that you haven't been able to discuss it before. :) a few from just last year, fill your boots.:)
Learning from DVD's
What martial art is best for a beginner and can I teach myself?
Tkd by video
KUNG FU
Should I train Kobudo all by myself?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i learned to play baseball and football and hockey by watching it on tv then going out and playing it with my friends. i didnt really understand the rules, didnt get any coaching from an adult and you know what,, i didnt come away with any life threatening issues....or any health issues for that matter. i also taught myself to swim with no help or instruction from any adult or pro swimming coach....i didnt drown. i also learned to punch the heavy bag by watching "ROCKY" bent my wrist a few times no big deal. learned a spinning crescent kick from watching Chuck Norris movies.
oh and i did learn to not hit your thumb with a waffle face framing hammer with no instruction from the pro's nope that one was ALLLL ME.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
The topic of learning online has come up multiple times over the years, so much so to many of us it's like flogging a dead horse. However as you have just got here it's cool that you haven't been able to discuss it before. :) a few from just last year, fill your boots.:)
Learning from DVD's
What martial art is best for a beginner and can I teach myself?
Tkd by video
KUNG FU
Should I train Kobudo all by myself?
(Ah.. I was being 1000% sarcastic hehe... Yeah it comes up quite a bit I've noticed XD)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(Ah.. I was being 1000% sarcastic hehe... Yeah it comes up quite a bit I've noticed XD)

yeah I knew but as it hasn't come up since you joined I thought you'd like a bimble through old threads, it's the fashionable thing to do here at the moment............

Latest Discussions