Online Flaming to be outlawed?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"He just went into a deep spiral in eighth grade. He couldn't shake this rumor," said Ryan's father, John Halligan, who became a key proponent of a state law that forced Vermont schools to put anti-bullying rules in place. He's now pushing for a broader law to punish cyberbullying - often done at home after school - and wants every other state to enact laws expressly prohibiting it.

States from Oregon to Rhode Island are considering crackdowns to curb or outlaw the behavior in which kids taunt or insult peers on social Web sites like MySpace or via instant messages. Still, there is some disagreement over how effective crackdowns will be and how to do it.

Wha? A law that says I can't call people poo-heads online? That's just not right.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like this will work. Just more government stupidity and "see look, I care so reelect me" crap.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like this will work. Just more government stupidity and "see look, I care so reelect me" crap.

Yup, for this to go anywhere you would need a spoiled rich kid that is getting picked on a lto online to be in a really high level position... oh... crap... Guess I'd better get it over with while I still can...

Bob, I need a favour, can you run:

PHP:
$result = "SELECT username from user";
while ($row = mysql_fecth_row($result))
{
    echo "$row[0] is a poo-head.<br>"
{

please :D

(Although being in Canada I should be safe regardless)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup, for this to go anywhere you would need a spoiled rich kid that is getting picked on a lto online to be in a really high level position... oh... crap... Guess I'd better get it over with while I still can...

Bob, I need a favour, can you run:

PHP:
$result = "SELECT username from user";
while ($row = mysql_fecth_row($result))
{
    echo "$row[0] is a poo-head.<br>"
{

please :D

(Although being in Canada I should be safe regardless)
Only a few days march, realy.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will say, most people talk and talk and talk and talk. What are they telling you and what is the subject matter. If you give a rambler a moment to just speak and ask him to sum up what he was referring to then they won't understand either.

That to me is what this anti flaming is all about as well.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hate to sound like Bill Clinton, but it depends upon what you mean by the word, "work".

We're seeing plenty of "Bobby's Law" or "Betty's Law" being enacted these days. Sometimes, as with "Jenna's law" these reflect a long overdue correction - about time, many would say, that we stopped letting violent felons out on parole to kill again. But other times we are losing freedom and making bad law just so some bereaved parent can find "some meaning" and "closure."

It may "work" in that we'll have government snoopers everywhere in The Land of the Free protecting us from the awful effects of designated "hate speech" and "words that wound"...... whatever those are decided to mean.

Or, we could do without yet more freedom destroying laws......and parents could just tell their overly sensitive kids to suck it up and stay off those sites if they can't take it. Maybe even sign junior up for martial arts lessons...

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whatever happened to freedom of speech! I had thought that it was garranteed by the US Constitution. If you don't like what someone is saying stop listening, don't whine about being offended by an idiot and try to have laws enacted to shut them up.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whatever happened to freedom of speech! I had thought that it was garranteed by the US Constitution. If you don't like what someone is saying stop listening, don't whine about being offended by an idiot and try to have laws enacted to shut them up.
Depends on whose speech it is. In my state you can look someone in the eye and tell them you're gonna kill them and there is nothing the police can do about it. Tell them you're gonna kill them over the phone and suddenly it's a crime. I see that little law there (communicating a threat by means of an electronic device) being what gets this idea passed. I gotta agree with Grydth and (in most instances) tell the overly sensitive kids to deal with it. If we, as parents, spring into action every time someone says something mean to a kid how in the hell can we expect the kids to be able to deal with the real world once they're on their own?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The US Constitution doesn't apply outside the US (and often inside it either). So, the only freedom of speech you might have is from your own nations laws.

These morons can pass any law they want, like the one that made it illegal for telemarketers to call me if I'm on the Do Not Call list. All that did was make them move to Quebec where the DNC doesn't apply. I get a lot of harassing calls from there.

I still say, most of this is just "look at me Im working" noise from people who couldn't hold a real job.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Despite beliefs to the contrary, free speech here in the USA is not limitless. Here is a link to some First Amendment Law basics:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment01/

Most new speech laws, like most new gun laws are "feel good" legislation that are unenforceable and unworkable in any practical sense

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Political Correctness in the process of taking yet another step towards insanity.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Free speech simply means that the government better cite a damn good reason for jailing you. They can impose regulations and limit you all day long.
Sean

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
this is yet another step forward in the ongoing weakening of our children.

americans used to be tough, because our parents didn't try to protect us from the pain and frustration that is life on earth. lately, parents (admittedly out of love) want to spare their children any pain, discomfort or frustration.

which means we're raising a generation of whiny, weak, spoiled brats.

it's up to us, as parents and as martial artists, to combat this trend.

i figure it will work well for us. in 30 years, when the children raised like that are beginning to run the country, it'll be the martial artist kids who walk like giants through that weaselly crowd.

and they'll think we're cool, and do whatever we ask them to.

it's my foolproof plan for world domination: wait for the meek to inherit the earth, then take it from them. can't take too long...

Latest Discussions