KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Herald Sun
New law to ban swords
Peter Mickelburough, state politics reporter
9th March 2004

SWORDS will be outlawed from July under new laws to curb the growing use of the weapons in street brawls.

Police Minister Andre Haermeyer said the ban would help police overcome a culture of young people arming themselves with swords.

"For most people running around the street carrying swords there is absolutely no reason for them to be carrying those weapons," he said yesterday.

From July, anyone found possessing or selling a sword without a permit will face up to six months' jail and fines of up to $12,000.

Existing sword owners must surrender their weapons to police, sell them to a licensed dealer or apply to the Chief Commissioner for specific approval.

Collectors and people with legitimate cultural, religious or military reasons to own swords will be exempted from the ban, but must store them under lock and key and have a burglar alarm.

The sword ban follows a string of recent attacks and a regulatory impact statement undertaken by the State Government last year.

Last week, a 13-year-old boy was arrested and charged after allegedly charging police with a sword near Castlemaine, in central Victoria.

A 21-year-old man had his hand severed by a samurai sword in a confrontation between 40 men in the Fitzroy Gardens a fortnight ago -- the second brawl involving swords in 24 hours.

Huy Huynh, 19, was chased from the Salt nightclub and hacked to death nearby in July 2002 by a mob using samurai swords and machetes.

The new laws will make it illegal to sell swords to anyone who does not have a permit.

Sword sellers will have to keep a register of buyers' details and make it available for police to inspect.

Mr Haermeyer said groups such as highland dancers, historic re-enactment groups, bonafide collectors and people with family heirlooms could apply for an exemption from the licensing services branch of Victoria Police.

"Legitimate sword owners understand the importance of ensuring that their swords do not fall into the wrong hands," he said.

"The vast majority of the community would say, 'Look, there's no place for people just being able to go out there and buy these things and carry them around the street'."

Mr Haermeyer said the exact definition of a sword under the new regulations was still being considered.

He said machetes would remain a controlled weapon, requiring a person to have a legitimate reason for carrying them.

The Government is also looking at bans on some other weapons, such as crossbows, and greater restriction on the sale of prohibited and regulated weapons at weekend markets.

Mr Haermeyer warned that police would be actively hunting for knives and swords after being given new powers and 480 metal detectors late last year, allowing them to search people they reasonably suspected were carrying weapons.

Link Here

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see the problem they're facing, but this seems like an overly broad attempt to control it.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I see the problem they're facing, but this seems like an overly broad attempt to control it.

Yes it is a symptom that they are addressing not the roo cause or disease itself. What is causing the violence or he youth rebellion?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kind of rots for the Martial arts people.
Wounder if the study of a martial art is ligit enough reason to own a sword?

S

ShaolinWolf

Hmmm...I don't think I'd be too happy having a license to own my swords and knives. They'd put me in prison for sure. LOL...Man, to think that they have a ban on swords or you need a license to own one. LOL. Sounds like our Gun conditions. Swords over there, Guns over here. Guess that's about right. We have street wars over here, they have street wars over there. Ouch!

Can't imagine something like that being so bad that a ban is needed. A license is one thing, but a ban...Then again, we kind of need a thing on guns over here, considering all the stupid stuff with guns that goes on in our streets. Maybe somebody will get a hint someday...

:asian:

auzziegreg59

White Belt
Reaction score
What it is guys, the state where all these sword wielding want to be shintaro,s are running around doesnt have a genuine registered IKKO Kenpo studio.They are still living in the 17th century down there and i dont know if they even have electricity or telephones yet.Mr C went down there last year an I was extremely concerned as to whether he would make it back alive and with all his hair.In the capital where we do have an IKKO studio we have no crime an the converted walk upon the sacred kenpo earth an give thanks that MrC made it back alive. Living in SYDNEY is always plessant

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you imagin walking down the street and seeing 5-10 guys comeing down the other way waveing swords.
Now I have seen a group of 5-7 guys walking my way and known that they all had pistols conceled under their plaid shirts but they were not bannishing them and I knew i was not their target. That scared the crap out of me . But liveing in So. Cal. at the time it was not uncommon.
Swords cutting people and being used as a weapon in street fights and bar fights is just "out there" a little to much for me. Can you imagin walking into your local bar with a sword on your back?
Still I hate to see that kind of law passed any where.

auzziegreg59

White Belt
Reaction score
Agreed, you must also be made aware of the big picture,Firstly it is an election year and the press are going nuts down here over Irac.Any acts of violence are blown out of proportion severely, The katanas used were ornamental in make,440 stainless steel ,not a true blade the incidents were domestic in nature that escalated into a hollywood movie set.The gouvernment wants to regulate the amount of illegal weapons being made available for sale to the public, ie licencing.To my way of thinking if you need to be accessed as to your reasoning why you would want or need aweapon of that type and you can substanciate a valid reason it will be granted if not it wont Hence less weapons for crimei

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found the article to be surrealistic to be sure. Living in the 17th century indeed. Australia is indeed a modern country with it's large cities as Sydney and Perth and so forth. It would seem that swords were an alternate weapon of choice since they have a gun ban down there that is similar to ours.
But I agree totally with Rich Parsons is that they (government) need to look at the cause of why these attacks are occuring not with WHAT. It could've easily been with knives and nunchuckus or any other type of weapon.
Address the cause of the violence not the method.

C

Cobra

KenpoTess said:
Herald Sun
New law to ban swords
Peter Mickelburough, state politics reporter
9th March 2004

SWORDS will be outlawed from July under new laws to curb the growing use of the weapons in street brawls.

Police Minister Andre Haermeyer said the ban would help police overcome a culture of young people arming themselves with swords.

"For most people running around the street carrying swords there is absolutely no reason for them to be carrying those weapons," he said yesterday.

From July, anyone found possessing or selling a sword without a permit will face up to six months' jail and fines of up to $12,000.

Existing sword owners must surrender their weapons to police, sell them to a licensed dealer or apply to the Chief Commissioner for specific approval.

Collectors and people with legitimate cultural, religious or military reasons to own swords will be exempted from the ban, but must store them under lock and key and have a burglar alarm.

The sword ban follows a string of recent attacks and a regulatory impact statement undertaken by the State Government last year.

Last week, a 13-year-old boy was arrested and charged after allegedly charging police with a sword near Castlemaine, in central Victoria.

A 21-year-old man had his hand severed by a samurai sword in a confrontation between 40 men in the Fitzroy Gardens a fortnight ago -- the second brawl involving swords in 24 hours.

Huy Huynh, 19, was chased from the Salt nightclub and hacked to death nearby in July 2002 by a mob using samurai swords and machetes.

The new laws will make it illegal to sell swords to anyone who does not have a permit.

Sword sellers will have to keep a register of buyers' details and make it available for police to inspect.

Mr Haermeyer said groups such as highland dancers, historic re-enactment groups, bonafide collectors and people with family heirlooms could apply for an exemption from the licensing services branch of Victoria Police.

"Legitimate sword owners understand the importance of ensuring that their swords do not fall into the wrong hands," he said.

"The vast majority of the community would say, 'Look, there's no place for people just being able to go out there and buy these things and carry them around the street'."

Mr Haermeyer said the exact definition of a sword under the new regulations was still being considered.

He said machetes would remain a controlled weapon, requiring a person to have a legitimate reason for carrying them.

The Government is also looking at bans on some other weapons, such as crossbows, and greater restriction on the sale of prohibited and regulated weapons at weekend markets.

Mr Haermeyer warned that police would be actively hunting for knives and swords after being given new powers and 480 metal detectors late last year, allowing them to search people they reasonably suspected were carrying weapons.

Link Here
I can understand why they would come to that law, but I think it is a basic human right to be able to carry arms. I'm glad in America has an amendmant assuring the right to have weapons.

I wasn't aware that street fights in Australia had swords in them. Dangerous, but it is nice to hear swords are being used for something or another.

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
They seem to be missing the obvious point that if you ban something you drive it underground.
The criminals have never bothered about the law and can always get what they want.
As here in the UK and the gun ban all that they did was to remove the weapons that they knew where they were and drive the rest underground. Clever.
As usual the majority suffer for the actions of a few and also as usual the authorities excuse is safety.
The press love a story about xyz and their samurai swords especially on dead days and will hype the story up. The average person who probably has no thought on the subject normally will be bombarded by the press and instead of thinking for themselves, which is hard, will blindly follow (baa baa baa).
Responsible owners will have to get and pay for a license or give their swords up, and there is no mention of compensation.

David

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:ticked: That's it! <She-Sulsa seizes her collection of katanas, wakazashis, tantos and other blades and runs for the hills - sets up bivoac near cave, kills nearest cougar and puts it on the spit to roast for dinner... re-reads speeches written and given by Pres. John F. Kennedy on the importance of preserving civil liberties in the face of terrorism and fear of nuclear warfare...sighs...and says, "those were the days...">I'm a woman on the edge....:jedi1: :mp5:
:ninja::EG::armed:

A

Angelusmortis

I'm sorry, but I'm totally in favour of the law. Anyone who thinks it's "human rights" to carry weapons is stark raving bonkers. It's for the protection of the many who DON'T own weapons, if you're serious about owning/practicing/collecting samurai swords/swords in general, then applying for a licence should not be an issue in the slightest.

In the US in 1994, there were over 11,500 gun related deaths, compared to the UK where we had 64. There's a massive difference in gun availability here thank Christ! I love samurai culuture, history, weapons, arts, but like a car, which requires a licence, certain elements of it can be dangerous, also like a car. It's nothing at all to do with "human rights issues", or the encroachment of a "nanny state", if you lived in the UK you'd realise that, but a common sense approach. Gun related deaths/crimes, (like compensation culture) is on the rise in the UK, and can in the main, be attributed to the spread of American culture over here.

Trying to "address why they were violent in the first place", is a bit of a tall order. They're human, therefore they can and will be violent. Weapon ownership is a privelige, not a bloody right, and as such, should be tightly regulated to those that are sincere about using them in a responsible manner. This isn't the sodding dark ages after all!!!!

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Angelusmortis said:
In the US in 1994, there were over 11,500 gun related deaths, compared to the UK where we had 64.
Not to get off topic but what is the population difference between the countries. Per capita would be a much better statistic to use.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd imagine that martial artists would be able to get the historic "re-enactment groups" excemption.

"right to carry arms" - At the time it was written I'd agree that it was neccessary for the US, but now?

Laws are there to protect people. Speed Limits, for example, in isolation a person has the "natural right" to go as fast as they want. But doing so endangers everyone else. Allowing people to carry weapons puts a lot of other people in considerably more danger then they where in before...

"The bad guys will find a way" - True, in some sense, but back to the speeding example. People still speed, people still get hurt because of speeders, but get rid of the law and the problem will be a lot worse.

It also makes things more difficult, as weapons then have to be concealed and if you get caught with them you're in a bit of trouble.

Owning and training with weapons as historical reinactment or sport is one thing, carrying them around downtown is another...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sword attacks are definitely up...or at least, news reports about them are. It seems almost commonplace to read such a story.

G

Gary Crawford

This is dissapointing,I always thought if people walked around carrying swords,people would be more polite.

Latest Discussions