Online Flaming to be outlawed?

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
The US Constitution doesn't apply outside the US (and often inside it either). So, the only freedom of speech you might have is from your own nations laws.

These morons can pass any law they want, like the one that made it illegal for telemarketers to call me if I'm on the Do Not Call list. All that did was make them move to Quebec where the DNC doesn't apply. I get a lot of harassing calls from there.

I still say, most of this is just "look at me Im working" noise from people who couldn't hold a real job.

How to effectively deal with telemarketers and similar insect pests should really be its own thread. I put my 8 year old on the line with them, " Daddy's too busy, so you can talk to me! Do you like horsies?" Try it!

I wish I could agree about this being merely government "noise", but it is more serious than that. True, there are many barnacle bureaucrats - usually political appointees - who do this, and they genuinely do waste time/money/oxygen.

But many of these laws are pushed by those in the private sector, most prominently those named for a VICTIM OF SOMETHING.

Let's suppose our youngest boy tries to swallow a whole pie at once and chokes on it.... bad parenting? A dumb kid? No, no can't be that..... so I want Albany to pass "Pete's Law" .... banning apple pies! No parent should ever have to go through this loss .... no child should ever be endangered by pie violence again! Alakazam - a new law, for the children, that makes us all safer!!!!!!!

Or, does it....

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
The US Constitution doesn't apply outside the US (and often inside it either). So, the only freedom of speech you might have is from your own nations laws.

These morons can pass any law they want, like the one that made it illegal for telemarketers to call me if I'm on the Do Not Call list. All that did was make them move to Quebec where the DNC doesn't apply. I get a lot of harassing calls from there.

I still say, most of this is just "look at me Im working" noise from people who couldn't hold a real job.

Its true the Us Constitution doesn't apply down here in Australia. In fact, we do not have garrantees of freedom of speech in our constitution. Censorship, in whatever form it may take, is always a vague possibility. However, I wouldn't want to be the politician to open up that nightmarish can of worms. The thought of nation wide strikes in all sectors is very frightening.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was a kid we didn't sit in front of a computer playing games all day, nor did we sit in front of a TV. We found ways to create fun. Tree house, cardboard forts, blanket playhouses. We learned to get along with the neighborhood kids so we had someone to play with. We didn't wear helmets when we rode our bikes , if we fell down- we got back up and went on riding. We weren't concerned about what clothes we were wearing as long as you couldn't see our underwear we were happy. If we were rotten- we got a backhand or a quick belt to the butt. We didn't worry about playing outside- there were no fears of predators. This world has turned into a bunch of politically correct whimps. ADD and overactive kids were fun to play with and we got along.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
this is yet another step forward in the ongoing weakening of our children.

americans used to be tough, because our parents didn't try to protect us from the pain and frustration that is life on earth. lately, parents (admittedly out of love) want to spare their children any pain, discomfort or frustration.

which means we're raising a generation of whiny, weak, spoiled brats.

it's up to us, as parents and as martial artists, to combat this trend.

i figure it will work well for us. in 30 years, when the children raised like that are beginning to run the country, it'll be the martial artist kids who walk like giants through that weaselly crowd.

and they'll think we're cool, and do whatever we ask them to.

it's my foolproof plan for world domination: wait for the meek to inherit the earth, then take it from them. can't take too long...
That's a great post. I only take exception with one small point...(admittedly out of love)...many parents raise their children in the way that they're being raised out of fear. Fear that the kid will run to a school councelor and say they got spanked and the GC assume that no right minded parent would ever whack their kid on the rump for ANY reason (even if they're trying to deep fry the cat) so this must be child abuse. Parent has to put up with the investigation and so forth. Do you have any idea how many kids I've heard tell their parents "You can't punish me! I'll call child protective services." Doesn't it bother any one else that kids at the age of 7 and 8 already know what CPS is and are willing to threaten their parents with a call to the "authorities" if they get punished for screwing up. There are so many laws on the books in this country right now that were started with good intentions that have snowballed WAY out of control. How do we take back the country? Does anyone even want to?

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This new manufactured fear in some ways seems to be replacing religion. Do as the government says or face the wrath of the all mighty bureaucrats and lawyers.

In the old days maintianing control of the population through fear would have been called tyranny, now it's called "thinking of the children".

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a great post. I only take exception with one small point...(admittedly out of love)...many parents raise their children in the way that they're being raised out of fear. Fear that the kid will run to a school councelor and say they got spanked and the GC assume that no right minded parent would ever whack their kid on the rump for ANY reason (even if they're trying to deep fry the cat) so this must be child abuse. Parent has to put up with the investigation and so forth. Do you have any idea how many kids I've heard tell their parents "You can't punish me! I'll call child protective services." Doesn't it bother any one else that kids at the age of 7 and 8 already know what CPS is and are willing to threaten their parents with a call to the "authorities" if they get punished for screwing up. There are so many laws on the books in this country right now that were started with good intentions that have snowballed WAY out of control. How do we take back the country? Does anyone even want to?

I tried the "I'll call the police" line on my mom once. Her reply was that I'd better call the paramedic too because if she was going to jail she was going to get her money's worth. I never tried that approach again.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tried the "I'll call the police" line on my mom once. Her reply was that I'd better call the paramedic too because if she was going to jail she was going to get her money's worth. I never tried that approach again.
I have to remember that line - he he

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score

there's only one possible response to a child who says "You can't punish me! I'll call child services!".

just smile and say "you do realize it will take them 20 minutes to get here?"

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, there are two: "Fine, go live with them.....and your sister will get all of your books and toys."

Latest Discussions