One form

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had this opportunity today & I thought I'd get your input to see what you would do. I had a class full of yellow belts, tonight. They've not yet been taught forms. Because they were in a class of white belts until now, it's quite possible they've never seen a form, before. We will start forms training on Wednesday. This was the last 8 minutes of class. I told them (all under 12 years old) about the basic idea behind forms & decided to demonstrate two forms for them. I'll tell you which I chose in another post.

What form(s) would you chose to show them & why?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kibon hyung #1 if you use it in your system. It's a simple pattern that lets you involve the kids into it. You just position them all around you and have them attack you with the step through punch. Then you simply complete the pattern, defending and countering each of them with the down block and step through punch combination.

This also works for groups of adults. Just demonstrate some of the more sophisticated interpretations of the basic down block and punch gross movements.

Marchfly

White Belt
Reaction score
My white belt training involved a Basic Pattern in a H shape, using long stances, low blocks and chest punches. We all had to perform this basic pattern in order to grade to Yellow. I'm suprised there was no type of pattern work to start off with for a first grade.

Edit: After searching for Kibon Hyung #1 on YouTube, yes, Dancingalone, thats what we did also. it's the exact pattern.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I had to pick 2 hyungs,

I would show them a beginners hyung like one of the Kichos. They probably have been exposed to the stances and techniques used in the hyung and could recognize them.

I would then pick a more advanced form, possibly like a Sip Su, so that they could see what their skill level could become, if they continue with their studies.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really need to be more awake when I start threads. I didn't really articulate what I meant. While I will teach them their 1st form (Tae Geuk IL Jang) on Wednesday, I wanted to begin to instill a love for forms by showing them a few different ones. Not so they'd learn them now: but so they'd see how great forms really are.

I showed them Tae Geuk Som Jang (to show a more basic form) & Tae Bek. Most of my 7th Gup students had never seen Tae Bek or any other BB forms. My idea seemed to pay off. Both my new yellow belts & my 7th gups asked a lot of good questions about techniques in each form.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting concept.

We start our white belts off with Chong-Ji (we do hyongs) so by the time they are yellows they know what a form is. Another instructor in our area has his staff do a demo for the white/yellow grading he holds at his school.

Most of the lower belts do not get a chance to see the instructors in action other then demos.

To show off forms I would probably pick Do San (I got a cold and my brain is mush...the Blue Belt) because it's my favorite, or Hwa Rang, the purple/brown patter for lower ranks (but Choong Moo has this awesome run-jump-sidekick....hmmmm)

As for higher up forms, I know only three ;) and only on a good day. Don't tell nobody I am going to be an instructor, PLEASE!!!!!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I had to pick 2 hyungs,

I would show them a beginners hyung like one of the Kichos. They probably have been exposed to the stances and techniques used in the hyung and could recognize them.

I would then pick a more advanced form, possibly like a Sip Su, so that they could see what their skill level could become, if they continue with their studies.

Yep — that's what I would do. Taeguek 1 or Chon Ji and then something like Yu Shin or Chong Moo.

Latest Discussions