On Using Hyung for Self Defense...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On Using Kata…
by John Kedrowski
1. Reality changes and flows and that fixed patterns are impractical when woven into this framework. Kata, however, are training tools, not reality. One can imagine themselves doing technique with intent in kata, but this is not the same thing as a self-defense situation. It is training. Bunkai, are possibilities, things that could be done. The end result is that they train the reflexes so that they react to certain cues. This process eventually will occur without thought so that if something doesn't work, the body does something else.

2. The "mind of no mind" described above is not automatic. I don't know if you have played any other sports, but there are some insights with that training that are helpful. In baseball, learning how to catch a ball was the first step in learning how to play the field. In golf, learning how to hold the club and swing was a very important piece of playing the game. In wrestling, learning how to bridge was a foundation for number of things. In boxing, throwing a good jab is important. None of these things are the whole sport or art, but all of them required structure, repetition, and eventually situational adaptation in order to learn well enough to do without thought. Why should the forms be any different?

3. There needs to be a formalized way of teaching bunkai in kata in order to use it effectively as self defense. One must practice a move repeatedly in order to improve the technique and make it automatic. One must learn how to apply this automatic technique in a random situation correctly. One must learn to adapt so they can change to other things when something doesn't work. There are training methods for all of these things and I don't think that "playing with" certain applications every so often is going to achieve those ends by itself. It would be like walking up to a heavy bag and throwing a few punches and kicks once every week or so. That will not prepare someone (well) to actually punch and kick in reality.

4. An example of a formalized system for learning bunkai is the following...

a. The first thing a teacher must teach is a set of basics that corresponds to each kata. One that will allow a student to see and perform certain techniques therein and improve things like physical conditioning, balance, and efficiency of movement. Stances, transitions, punches, kicks, joint locks, throws, etc are all part of certain katas. This would be akin to throwing and catching a ball, swinging a bat, and running and sliding in baseball.

b. One learns the kata, memorizing the moves and details, and is able to perform it.

c. Traditional applications should be used as an example to teach anatomical knowledge and application mechanics...yet this information should be open ended. The student should eventually begin to "play" with the moves under the tutelage of the instructor, who gives insights into their multiple meanings. The teacher does not spoon-feed alternative applications, but rather gives clues and hints so that the student learns how to interpret the movements for themselves. The goal is for the student to learn the possibilities of each technique and understand their situational nature from a multifaceted point of view (this is the beauty of kata IMHO).

d. The true nature of kata is that they are a set of drills strung together by the creator so they can easily remember/transport/transfer practical knowledge regarding self-defense techniques. It is important for a student to eventually learn these because they provide a basis for understanding. Kata are not limited to these though (and I know many people who would disagree with that). Every student is different. They have different bodies and things work differently. The student must develop a set of drills that work with their body types...ones that they can practice repeatedly and relentlessly.

e. The student must learn how to apply in a "live" situation. Drills only take a student so far and eventually the student must transcend them. Application should "flow" from a student without thought and without hesitation and with no regard for "proper" context in the sense that one "waits" for certain things to happen. Drilled techniques need to be modified "on the fly" and altered to fit the situation at hand. This is a process of controlling the rules in sparring/randori/grappling and gradually removing them...but not removing so many that the training becomes overly dangerous.

5. There are many other ways of using kata and each will deliver certain results. However, if one believes that kata are a central part of an art and that they are useful for self-defense, a system that resembles what is outline above is needed in order to use them most effectively.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
John,

Maybe there is no real bunkai. A block is just a block, a punch is just a punch. Just thoughts.

ron

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:
John,

Maybe there is no real bunkai. A block is just a block, a punch is just a punch. Just thoughts.

ron

I think that approach is where we all end up. We use kata as ways to transmit knowledge and once that knowledge is transmitted, the forms fall away and everything becomes instinctual. Sung and Mushin. Bunkai are dreams and we struggle to awaken.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
John,

In the book, "Shihan-Te: The Bunkai of Karate Kata", there is a wonderful thought...Kata Bunkai are like ghosts, everyone talks about, but few have seen. Nakayama Masatoshi also said “There are not secrets in Karate”. I always think about that when I begin to analyze techniques.

ron

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:
In the book, "Shihan-Te: The Bunkai of Karate Kata", there is a wonderful thought...Kata Bunkai are like ghosts, everyone talks about, but few have seen. Nakayama Masatoshi also said “There are not secrets in Karate”. I always think about that when I begin to analyze techniques.

I haven't read that book, but I definitely think it belongs in my library. I can see where he is coming from. Kata are only a starting point...like a book.

Latest Discussions