Theory behind Hyung Progression up to Chodan

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been thinking about why certain hyung are required at certain times in ones training as they approach chodan.

Here a couple of thoughts...

The Gicho hyungs are not old forms. As far as I can research, they are relatively new...tracing back to the beginnings of shotokan. These forms are meant to teach students how to do a form. They allow a teacher to show a student how to move in stances, how use their breath, how to apply dynamic tension, how to interpret basic movements, etc. These are typically taught at white belt or to beginning students.

The Pyung Ahn hyungs are older. These go back to early last century when they were created by Anko Itosu. I think the original name, Pinan, helps one understand their original purpose. Peaceful Mind. From what I have been able to research, these forms were designed in order to give a student enough self defense skills in order to have a "Peaceful Mind." These are typically taught at green belt or to intermediate students.

The Classical hyungs. Naihanchi and Bassai hyung. These katas are much older then anything studied thus far. They are complex and require years of study in order to understand. These hyungs are an introduction to a student's understandings of classical karate. These hyung are taught to red belts or advanced students.

upnorthkyosa