On-line MA lessons

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Q: Can you learn a Martial Art online???

A: About as well as you can learn to drive online.

Online resources are great for information, historical research, and review. If you teach, online sources are great ways to interact and get ideas for new drills, and to find the latest research in training techniques. Beyond that, online 'teaching' for an MA is absolutely worthless, and any one or school that claims to be 'teaching' an MA online should not be taken seriously.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mjd said:
You Sir can spell better than I, hysterical is the correct spelling:idunno:

Too many years of reports being "kicked back" because of spelling errors..That was in the dark ages of police work, EVERYTHING was hand printed..No preloaded forms on the PC and no spell check...LOL

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ninjamom said:

OMG! That explains a lot of things. I always used to think some people get their driving licenses from vending machines.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ninjamom said:

LOL Well said...

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's one, as I said before, I have a few years in training. Now myself and a few other friends (BB's with minumum 10yrs training) want to get into some jujutsu, no school in the area. One BB has a friend that teaches out of state and has done a DVD of all his curriculum to shodan and has done a manual.

Now,,,,,,,,,,do you think it is possible for us to learn from the DVD and written manual as a group and have the jujutsu instructor come to us and test us on technique, etc for rank in jujutsu?

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Haze said:
Here's one, as I said before, I have a few years in training. Now myself and a few other friends (BB's with minumum 10yrs training) want to get into some jujutsu, no school in the area. One BB has a friend that teaches out of state and has done a DVD of all his curriculum to shodan and has done a manual.

Now,,,,,,,,,,do you think it is possible for us to learn from the DVD and written manual as a group and have the jujutsu instructor come to us and test us on technique, etc for rank in jujutsu?

Do I think you can learn some things from the videos? Possibly... but without regular feedback from a qualified instructor, even with your experience in other arts, I think that you will run a very high risk of doing something wrong that will become engrained and hard to change, and also run a very high risk of injuring either yourself or your friends when you do something wrong. Perhaps if you take the money you won't be spending on lessons, and give it to this instructor to come out and hold a seminar for you on a regular basis, at which he provides instruction based on the information on the DVDs, as well as feedback and correction, then you might be succesful - but that would depend on how hard each of you works between seminars, the frequency of the seminars (especially in the beginning), and the quality of instruction you get from the instructor. If you are sufficiently motivated, then it might work... but it certainly wouldn't be optimal.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Haze said:

Yes, I think it's possible, and I think it's very possible that the results of yoru rank test may be disappointing.

Jujitsu, like Kenpo, is an art that builds upon itself. Bad habits are easy to burn in, hard to break, and improperly-learned techniques build upon themselves badly as you learn the curriculum.

An option that would work better, esp. since there are a few of you, may be for you all to pool your resources and find a teacher that will do small-group lessons on a weekly/bimonthly/monthly basis for a small group.

If you have to use your skills, your attacker won't be on video. Your training shouldn't be either.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, thanks Kacey, Carol.

I'm going to have my friend talk to his jujutsu buddy and see about the possibility of my group going to see him or him comeing to us once or twice a month. Hands on training with the DVD as a backup to check things out if/when we get a little confused (an I'm sure we will) Like I said, he's only about 3 hours away.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haze said:

I would use the DVD as a reference point and avoid trying to learn too much from it. Seeing that its only 3 hrs away, I'd take advantage of as much 1 on 1 or group training as I could get. That, coupled with the DVD should help the entire group.:ultracool

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
I agree with you 100%. They could be a useful supplement, but that is all.

Jeff
Exactly! They can be a fine supplement. The best form of "video supplement" are the ones where they send you video to study, you send one back of your performance, they send one back of a critique of your performance...giving feedback and tips....etc. etc. I know of a few orgs and associations that do such a thing. But even then it must be kept in mind that it DOES NOT match or equate to what instruction and "growing experience" one can get from even a mediocre martial arts instructor FACE TO FACE! It is still, in my book, only a supplement.

You wouldn't go out and buy hundreds of dollars a month of bodybuilding supplements (believe me, it can and is DONE) and NOT go to the gym to lift weights. Pretty equivalent of someone who relies on just video instruction.

I think that to benefit the most from video instruction one needs to already have a really solid foundation in the martial arts. Then the video instruction needs to correlate at least SOME with the doctrines and practices of that martial art. In this instance I'd say that it's a good investment of time, money and energy....
but still just supplemental.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions