On Guard!!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many guards out there. But which one is yours?

1. Low guard (Also known as no guard) is seen with Olympic sparring. From time to time a boxer will lower his guard to sucker his opponent in so he can counter punch.

2. One-hand guard. Mostly the rear hand be up by the head and the front by waist. Another counter puncher style. Hard to read the jab.

3. Boxer guard. Kickboxers, full contact karate and etc. This is the modern guard.

Which of the three do use? Do you use all of them or just one or two?

Also do anyone use the old double fist guarding block or the double knife hand guarding block as a guard?

I try to keep hands up guarding my head but depending if I am close or away (kicking range) I can swith beetwen low and high guard.

Manny

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to practice with 2 hands up. I would call it a boxing guard, but since I have never studied boxing formally, I probably shouldn't call it that!

In any event, I recently moved and joined another WTF/KK style club, and the other students asked what I studied before. When I answered taekwondo, a couple people asked "ITF??"

So I guess I should practice with my hands down under the assumption that no one will want to punch my face :)

Latest Discussions