On Developing Over Time

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I won this trophy 9 years ago. I was recently reminded of it on Facebook. I still have it, tucked away on a shelf, covered in dust.

FB_IMG_1657925352627.jpg

It is as meaningful and as meaningless as any other object of self-adulation.

I like the trophy design. It's unusual for a trophy. It shows a martial artist carving themselves out of raw material. How appropriate.

As a trophy, it means at a given place and time, I was able to demonstrate some level of technical skill to a group of similarly trained judges. It was for sparring as I recall. Ippon or one-point touch sparring, which is very different from fighting.

Nine years later, I no longer compete. With age has come illness and infirmity. Though I still train, I was reminded of my lack of physical ability several days ago when I could not complete three games of bowling. My legs simply refused to cooperate (not looking for medical or health advice, thanks; I'm under a doctor's care).

But what does this all mean? A trophy for a fairly meaningless competition which I could no longer do even that if called upon.

To me, it simply illustrates that there is a path, and I'm still on the path, and the design of the trophy is prescient. I am still carving myself out of raw material. But the me of 9 years ago could not see the road ahead, only what had been done. It's still true. I keep training. I don't know what the final design will be. Ultimately it matters less than that I keep to the path.

Princes & Kings

Isn't it strange how princes and kings,
and clowns that caper in sawdust rings,
and common people, like you and me,
are builders for eternity?

Each is given a list of rules;
a shapeless mass; a bag of tools.
And each must fashion, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block, or a stepping-Stone.

― R. Lee Sharpe

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's a very interesting trophy design. A breath of fresh air from the norm. Way cool.

And keep on that path, brother. You've always been the balls.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stunning trophy, really love the metaphor and imagery. Even the idea of chiseling away and removing the nonessential, revealing what really mattered.

Very well said too. Keep goin Bill. The path is always uncertain, leaves us open to really explore it in its fullness. You are valued here, and your martial arts journey is unique. Trust it, and where it's taking you.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am not good in philosophical talks, so I am not even going to go there.

I look at things this way, we are all going to get old, we are not going to be able to do things we can do when we were young, be it physically or mentally. This is just the natural world order.

That said, you should enjoy what you achieved as the 3rd price of the competition. Obviously it's a big event and you won the trophy. It is something you can hold on and remember for the rest of your life and appreciate that you did it. Don't think too much into it. Think of how many people can achieve what you achieved.

I had "won trophies" (if you can call it) in my career in the pass. I have them hanging on the wall and appreciate them all the time. Now, I don't even dare to think of getting more, hell, I don't even dare to try, just want to keep the good memory. As I get older, I definitely notice I get forgetful, making mistakes I would never made when I was young.....or even just a few years ago. I retired 17 years ago, now I don't even dare to accept any job offer even it's right in front of me. That's how life is, we had our time, now just enjoy what we achieved. These are things that money cannot buy, YOU EARNED IT. IT'S YOURS FOREVER. Concentrate on what you achieved, not on what you lost.

Speaking of all these, how old are you? 9 years from winning trophy to not being able to bowl is quite unusual. Did you suffer injury during this time? You cannot be too old when you win the trophy, say 40 max, so you are only in late 40s or early 50s. That's too young to talk about "old"!!!!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not good in philosophical talks, so I am not even going to go there.

I look at things this way, we are all going to get old, we are not going to be able to do things we can do when we were young, be it physically or mentally. This is just the natural world order.

That said, you should enjoy what you achieved as the 3rd price of the competition. Obviously it's a big event and you won the trophy. It is something you can hold on and remember for the rest of your life and appreciate that you did it. Don't think too much into it. Think of how many people can achieve what you achieved.

I had "won trophies" (if you can call it) in my career in the pass. I have them hanging on the wall and appreciate them all the time. Now, I don't even dare to think of getting more, hell, I don't even dare to try, just want to keep the good memory. As I get older, I definitely notice I get forgetful, making mistakes I would never made when I was young.....or even just a few years ago. I retired 17 years ago, now I don't even dare to accept any job offer even it's right in front of me. That's how life is, we had our time, now just enjoy what we achieved. These are things that money cannot buy, YOU EARNED IT. IT'S YOURS FOREVER. Concentrate on what you achieved, not on what you lost.

Speaking of all these, how old are you? 9 years from winning trophy to not being able to bowl is quite unusual. Did you suffer injury during this time? You cannot be too old when you win the trophy, say 40 max, so you are only in late 40s or early 50s. That's too young to talk about "old"!!!!
I'm 62.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WOW!!! You should be more proud of yourself winning the trophy at 53!!!

Did you injured yourself in the past 9 years, 62 is still very young to be deteriorating.
I have diabetes, sarcoidosis, and atrial fibrillation.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have diabetes, sarcoidosis, and atrial fibrillation.
WOW!!! WOW!!! More for you to be proud of, you conquer adversity to win also. These cannot be developed in 9 years, you must had them when you won.

You have type I or type II diabetes? Those can be bad, a friend of mine has to be on dialysis at home everyday waiting for kidney transplant, he's only in the 50s with two young girls.

Good Luck. Stay healthy.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WOW!!! WOW!!! More for you to be proud of, you conquer adversity to win also. These cannot be developed in 9 years, you must had them when you won.

You have type I or type II diabetes? Those can be bad, a friend of mine has to be on dialysis at home everyday waiting for kidney transplant, he's only in the 50s with two young girls.

Good Luck. Stay healthy.
I have Type 2. I take a lot of medication for it. The Afib is what slowed me down, that's recent.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I haven't done it in awhile now. Don't go down one knee at all, and don't do ni dan geri kicks either. Embarrassing.
Just keep moving. I am suffering from back issue at the moment, I just do punching and kicking at slow motion just to go through it. And I spend time in weight training. That doesn't require quick speed and jumping. Just to keep in shape.

Too bad we all have to get old. I hope you watch what you eat for the diabetes. What is your A1C?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just keep moving. I am suffering from back issue at the moment, I just do punching and kicking at slow motion just to go through it. And I spend time in weight training. That doesn't require quick speed and jumping. Just to keep in shape.

Too bad we all have to get old. I hope you watch what you eat for the diabetes. What is your A1C?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I haven't done it in awhile now. Don't go down one knee at all, and don't do ni dan geri kicks either. Embarrassing.
The last 2/3 of Kusanku is a killer on the knees. Other styles don't go into the kneels for the elbow strikes, just pull back into cat stance - much easier, but Isshinryu's version buckles the leg and allows single leg takedown bunkai. Going down into the kneels is no problem - it's the standing back up that's tough on the old guys. I can do it, barely, and certainly not gracefully. That's what we get for practicing an art designed by 98 lb. Okinawans. Get me an icepack, please.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The last 2/3 of Kusanku is a killer on the knees. Other styles don't go into the kneels for the elbow strikes, just pull back into cat stance - much easier, but Isshinryu's version buckles the leg and allows single leg takedown bunkai. Going down into the kneels is no problem - it's the standing back up that's tough on the old guys. I can do it, barely, and certainly not gracefully. That's what we get for practicing an art designed by 98 lb. Okinawans. Get me an icepack, please.
Ha ha, I have been practicing squat all the way down everyday when I was in shower. After shower, I have to squeegee the glass door, I use the squeegee and go from top to the bottom of the door doing squatting. I do it like 6 time everyday. It was hard at the beginning, but after a while, it's no problem anymore. I can just go from standing to full squat cold, no warmup now.

I even practicing balance in the shower. I pick one foot up standing on the other leg, scrubbing the foot toe by toe under the shower, then later rinse one foot at a time standing on one leg. After shower, I dry my foot the same way. So I practice balance everyday!!! 😂