Chil Sung Hyungs 1-4 - Videos

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Chil Sung Hyungs were created by Hwang Kee and are the result of his interpretation of an ancient text on Korean Martial Arts. This book was written during the "Three Kingdoms" period in Korea, in particular, the new nation Koryo, from which the modern name Korea has been derived.

In the subsequent Yi dynasty, King Jung-Jo ordered Duk-Moo-Yi to write a book of martial arts techniques. This book is known as the "Moo-Ye-Do-Bo-Tong-Ji". Gradually, with the influence of Confucianism the practise of martial arts in Korea declined. The impact of this development was increased when the Japanese invaded Korea in 1910 and banned the practise of all martial arts.).

One can also see the influence of Hwang Kee's training in Yang Style Tai Chi in these hyungs.

The name Chil Sung Hyung translates into Seven Star Path. Hwang Kee was said to have been inspired by the constallation for the Little Dipper, which has seven stars, and terminates with Polaris. This series of seven hyung is designed to be an individuals path toward balancing Weh Gung (physical) and Neh Gung (spiritual). This balancing concept is known as Chun Gul Ryu, which translates into Middle School.

Students of these hyungs begin their practice of Chun Gul Ryu by making a distinct separation between the slow and the fast portions of these hyungs.

Chil Sung Hyungs are taught at every level in the art of Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan. The second one is taught before the first one because of the ease of its technique. However, the subtlety in that form requires years to perfect. Only the highest level practioners learn the seventh Chil Sung, so only a handful of people have "completed" the entire path.

I have learned the first four hyung on this path. I learned these forms from my teacher when we were a part of the USSBDMDK federation and they were required material. Now that we are no longer members of the federation, these forms are no longer required in our dojang.

The first four Chil Sung Hyungs are presented below. All mistakes in their performance are entirely mine.

Chil Sung Ill Lo
Chil Sung Ee Lo
Chil Sung Sam Lo
Chil Sung Sa Lo

Enjoy! Hwang Kee was a very creative man and brilliant martial artist. These forms represent part of what makes the art of Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan unique!

upnorthkyosa

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
I finally got my computer going! Have you learned every Chil Sung Hyung?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GREAT resources! Thank you!

You wouldn't happen to have anything like this for any of the Yuk Ro Hyungs, would you?

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since I train at an ITF school, not much chance of me learning those forms. For that reason, these intrigue me to no end. I have Kang Uk Lee's TSD book, which includes the first three or four chil sung hyung, but of course it's impossible to learn a hyung from a book. Not to say I haven't tried, though ;)

From the latter two of the videos, I see where Hwang Kee got much of his inspiration, and I agree; it's still very brilliantly put together. It does seem, though, that at points whole sections have been cut and pasted from other forms.

I'm very interested about the meaning behind several of the moves in this series of hyung. For instance, in the first one, what is the purpose of the move where you force your hands downward and then bring them up and out? For that matter, why is there a move in a fighting stance with the toes raised and heel planted? Of course I have more questions, but I can't ask everything and expect an answer right away.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For instance, in the first one, what is the purpose of the move where you force your hands downward and then bring them up and out?

This motion is showing several things. One would be an escape followed by a push. Another is a double leg takedown. I think that in order to understand this move better, you have to do some clinch work and get really low so as to prevent from getting thrown.

For that matter, why is there a move in a fighting stance with the toes raised and heel planted?

Everytime you see a move in hu gul jaseh, it could be indicating a snap front kick to some sensitive area of the body. When the ball of the foot is up and the heel is down, this is indicating that the kick is using the heel. If you look at the direction of my foot, this is clearly showing that I am ready to deliver a ko dan cha gi.

Of course I have more questions, but I can't ask everything and expect an answer right away.

Ask what you wish. My students come in and check this forum from time to time and I think it would be very informative for them to see some of this stuff.

Good questions!

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I: Hrm. Makes sense, I guess. I can see the grab escape right off the bat, though the takedown will probably take a bit more explanation as to what you're actually doing (Kang Uk Lee's book has the move listed in Korean, and the way to position your body, but not much else). I see you employ the same pushing method when doing "chindo" (we call it jinte); it looks a bit overexaggerated at first, but on second glance I get it. Cool.

II: I still don't see why you'd have your heel down already, if the attack's supposed to follow from the move in hugul jase, but whatever you say.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Makes sense, I guess. I can see the grab escape right off the bat, though the takedown will probably take a bit more explanation as to what you're actually doing (Kang Uk Lee's book has the move listed in Korean, and the way to position your body, but not much else). I see you employ the same pushing method when doing "chindo" (we call it jinte); it looks a bit overexaggerated at first, but on second glance I get it. Cool.

The motion is a bit different in chindo and that means quite a bit. In a couple of weeks, I'll post a series of applications for chindo and this move will be included.

In chil sung ill ro, the hands drop straight down, grab and pull up. At the same time, the stance you are in, helps you maintain your center of gravity so you can do the take down with minimal effort.

II: I still don't see why you'd have your heel down already, if the attack's supposed to follow from the move in hugul jase, but whatever you say.

This move is deliberately misleading. In many cases the stylized movements in a form were changed so that they hid the applications from prying eyes. If you know what to look for, then you can unlock some of these more esoteric details.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah. Okay, now I see the takedown, and it's nicely open-ended.

As for chindo/jinte, I will definitely be looking forward to that; I know you've already posted a video of the form in another thread, but I want to see where you take it in terms of applications. I see a few differences in the way you perform the hyung, but that's my main form right now, so any info I get on it is counted as help.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I enjoyed watching all four of the videos, upnorth. Thank you for sharing those.

I definitely recognize Chil-Sung Sam Lo. I've seen quite a few people practicing that one.

Since I'm learning Chil-Sung Il Lo, I was particularly interested in that one. We learned about half the other night in class. It was interesting to see that there are very fast moves up the middle versus the slower moves. Would you mind giving me some detail about the form? What is the purpose of the slower moves at the beginning/how do they apply in battle? Is it preparation/stilling the mind/control of breathing so one can explode into the punches?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The slow movements are breath control moves that do exactly as you expected. They are defenses against various kinds of tackles or clinching manuevers.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been studying the Chil Sung Hyungs in depth in my Dojang recently. Since it is a US Soo Bahk Do Federation school, hopefully I'm getting some good information.

As for the first few moves, UpNorth is dead on that they are breathing exercises. Remember that the Chil Sung forms have VERY heaby Chinese influence. Such as the long Narrow stances.

A possible combat application (the most basic) for the first moves of Chil Sung Il is a simple groin strike. The first movement, puts one arm behind the attacker and effectively chambers your other arm. Then left arm then "pulls" the attacker toward you and the right arm strikes the groin. Obviously these are slowed down quite a bit.

As for the pushing movements later in the form, the key is the hips. There are obviously many applications to these, but the basic is a simple push. If done properly with the hips and arms moving in the proper coordination, you can off balance even a much larger opponent. This is actually very close to some Wing Chun techniques.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so frustrated!! I know the first one but have been trying to teach myself the others from the book, my instructor doesn't know them so I have no one to learn them from. I saw this and thought wow but I can't play the videos. The aol player bit comes up with a black screen then it says looking for files then something like 'this file is not supported' and it's so maddening! Is there any other way I can try to see these? Should I post up for help on the computer forum?

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been studying the Chil Sung Hyungs in depth in my Dojang recently. Since it is a US Soo Bahk Do Federation school, hopefully I'm getting some good information.

As for the first few moves, UpNorth is dead on that they are breathing exercises. Remember that the Chil Sung forms have VERY heaby Chinese influence. Such as the long Narrow stances.

A possible combat application (the most basic) for the first moves of Chil Sung Il is a simple groin strike. The first movement, puts one arm behind the attacker and effectively chambers your other arm. Then left arm then "pulls" the attacker toward you and the right arm strikes the groin. Obviously these are slowed down quite a bit.

As for the pushing movements later in the form, the key is the hips. There are obviously many applications to these, but the basic is a simple push. If done properly with the hips and arms moving in the proper coordination, you can off balance even a much larger opponent. This is actually very close to some Wing Chun techniques.

Good information! The more I understand why I'm doing something the better I am at performing it. I just found out last night I will be doing Chil-Sung E Lo (I was learning Chil-Sung Il Lo Tuesday) in the October competition. I just started learning it last night. Controlling the breath during the "scooping" movements isn't all that easy, at least not for me as a beginner. I also learned some new movements that feel a little awkward. I hope I can incorporate all the elements in just three weeks - freaking a little but looking forward to the challenge.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The slow movements are breath control moves that do exactly as you expected. They are defenses against various kinds of tackles or clinching manuevers.
Thank you. I like to know why I'm doing something - it helps me incorporate the right elements (or at least try to ;) ).

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good information! The more I understand why I'm doing something the better I am at performing it. I just found out last night I will be doing Chil-Sung E Lo (I was learning Chil-Sung Il Lo Tuesday) in the October competition. I just started learning it last night. Controlling the breath during the "scooping" movements isn't all that easy, at least not for me as a beginner. I also learned some new movements that feel a little awkward. I hope I can incorporate all the elements in just three weeks - freaking a little but looking forward to the challenge.

Chil Sung Ee Lo is a much easier hyung to perform. The only slower controlled motions in this form are the preparations to the front kicks coming back south.

Best way to deal with those is: for the first "grab"...you just sort of get there, it isn't too slow, not too fast. The others are slower and controlled. Just be sure to land on your hell after the kick and transfer your weight forward as you transition into the grab. On the last one, the right hand comes back in preparation for the punch as you kick. Other than that, the form is very straightforward and has the same pattern as the more basic forms. Just a few extra movements. You should have no problem performing this Hyung if you practice hard.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since this is my little schools spot on MT, I'd like to focus on the applications of these hyungs as well as their performance. Another member of MT posted these hyungs and they show chil sung 4 from another interpretation and 5 and 6 which I have never learned.

Here is SBN Jim Savidge doing Chil Sung Sa Rho

Here is SBN Anthony Manchisi doing Chil Sung Oh Rho

and here is SBN James Bergers doing Chil Sung Yuk Rho

take care,
--josh

I've never seen this version chil sung oh rho or yuk rho until today and I have to say that I'm bewildered. I need to see how these applications work and I need to see some sort of pedegogy that trains these applications otherwise this is just another nameless KMA hyung that has lots of flash and no substance.

I'd love to apply a creative eye to some of these moves and say what I think, but I just don't think that its place to read into hyungs I haven't even learned yet...

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't speak to these either. Even within the US SBDF, these forms are fairly tightlipped. The Federations has recently made known a plan to publish Yuk Ro and Chil Sung texts, but until then, I only know 1-3.

Like you, sir, I would only be guessing....only much less educated guessing!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Look at the difference between how I was taught Chil Sung Sa Rho and how Master Savidge performs his form. Master Savidge's teacher, I believe, was GM Ferraro while my teacher's teacher was Master Bill Nelson. These two have a long standing friendship that goes way back and they were both part of the federation at one time, so they both learned the same form.

Yet they are so different...

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is a great performance of Chil Sung Yuk Ro... I especially like his execution of the 2 peet cha gi's and the double sweep.

im unsure of who the Sa Bom (SBN Rosenthal might be his name) doing the performance is. It is from a tournament in NY at the Winding River Karate studio run by SBN Frank Shermerhorn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions