Olympic trials update:

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just curious, at what age do olympic style tkd fighters have to start looking at retirement? Ive been watching a bit of ufc lately (which is rare for me) and Im amazed how old some of the fighters are considering the speed and brutality of the fighting, its seems quite normal to continue fighting well into the mid 30's.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just curious, at what age do olympic style tkd fighters have to start looking at retirement? Ive been watching a bit of ufc lately (which is rare for me) and Im amazed how old some of the fighters are considering the speed and brutality of the fighting, its seems quite normal to continue fighting well into the mid 30's.

Fpr must it would be around 28 or so, the younger guys seem to have better speed for the game. Steven though has made it a point to be just a little better than alot of the younger guys.

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I don't think the age is completely a physical problem with taekwondo fighters. I think it has more to do with money. MMA fighters get paid. Taekwondo fighters do not. Most guy quit competing in their 20s because they are ready to start looking at what they actually want to do with their lives.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think the age is completely a physical problem with taekwondo fighters. I think it has more to do with money. MMA fighters get paid. Taekwondo fighters do not. Most guy quit competing in their 20s because they are ready to start looking at what they actually want to do with their lives.
Another question (please excuse my ignorance), would a guy like steven lopez have made much/any money out of tkd? Does he get paid any sort of appearance fee to show up to tournaments like golfers? I imagine life after competitive tkd would hold lots of opportunities for him but while still competing is there anything financial in it for him? Also, how famous is he? for example, when he shows up to tournaments do all the kids try to get his autograph or get a photo with him?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another question (please excuse my ignorance), would a guy like steven lopez have made much/any money out of tkd? Does he get paid any sort of appearance fee to show up to tournaments like golfers? I imagine life after competitive tkd would hold lots of opportunities for him but while still competing is there anything financial in it for him? Also, how famous is he? for example, when he shows up to tournaments do all the kids try to get his autograph or get a photo with him?
Every time I see him at tourneys he seems to be signing and taking photos for free.

My kids with him almost 2 years ago. Boy they were small.
3696496919_d1d7f2e3df_z.jpg

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is true. However in other countries they get paid by their government. I heard that if you win Worlds or the Olympics in Korea you are set for life pretty much. Also in a lot of the other countries you are pretty much a celeb if you place in the Olympics. Just in the US it does not pan out. Chinas Olympic winners are millionaires.

The US tends to only glorify Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, and NASCAR, everything else is just a hobby, no matter how good you are. Guess you can toss Boxing in the mix also.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is true. However in other countries they get paid by their government. I heard that if you win Worlds or the Olympics in Korea you are set for life pretty much. Also in a lot of the other countries you are pretty much a celeb if you place in the Olympics. Just in the US it does not pan out. Chinas Olympic winners are millionaires.

The US tends to only glorify Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, and NASCAR, everything else is just a hobby, no matter how good you are. Guess you can toss Boxing in the mix also.
Even here in australia the A.I.S (australian institute of sport) provides funding to our top olympic tkd hopefuls and they would be set if they won olympic gold, but then aussies have an incredible love of sport . It would be short lived but they could reap some good dollars in the meantime. I remember when lauren burns won tkd gold in the sydney olympics she was all over everything there for a while, everytime I turned the tv on she was a guest on some show. She was a tkd commentator at the last olympics from memory. Also, great picture of the kids with steven lopez!

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations to our Phase One winners. I hope they all continue to win and to stay healthy. We've got many talented people, so it will be interesting to see how this process unfolds. It's not a done deal.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The Lopezs make money off of endorsments like from Coke commercialsand such, they made a good amount last Olympics with it. So I believe they are set for life as far as money goes.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Im still not sure why you think he should step down. If he is still the best the US has, why step down? If he is still the best, and still wants to fight, why? For the simple novelty and your own personal amusement of seeing a fresh face? That just doesn't make any sense.

Simple just because he is the best in that division does not mean we do not have better talent inother wieght classes. I still say let some of these other young talented people step up and give it a try. You yourself believe he is on the decline so if that is true than why keep putting his wieght class up?

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congratulations Steven, Dianne and TJ!

I think that the trials were great because it shows some of the World Class talent in the USA.

TJ Curry
Danny Cosmillo
Jayson Grant
Deireanne Morales
Nicole Palma
Bernard Posey
Paige McPherson

Just to name a few. All the athletes who made the trials are incredibly talented!

The USAT from all accounts ran a fair team trials! Great! We need to maintain this level playing field going forward to insure that we have a broad range of talent developed.

NO MORE TEAM SELECTION CAMPS!!!

THE TRIALS METHOD IS THE BEST!!!!

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations Steven, Dianne and TJ!

I think that the trials were great because it shows some of the World Class talent in the USA.

TJ Curry
Danny Cosmillo
Jayson Grant
Deireanne Morales
Nicole Palma
Bernard Posey
Paige McPherson

Just to name a few. All the athletes who made the trials are incredibly talented!

The USAT from all accounts ran a fair team trials! Great! We need to maintain this level playing field going forward to insure that we have a broad range of talent developed.

NO MORE TEAM SELECTION CAMPS!!!

THE TRIALS METHOD IS THE BEST!!!!

Well said Gorilla

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Simple just because he is the best in that division does not mean we do not have better talent inother wieght classes. I still say let some of these other young talented people step up and give it a try. You yourself believe he is on the decline so if that is true than why keep putting his wieght class up?

Who are these other talents? They select weight divisions based on how well that division has been performing internationally in the couple of years leading up to trials. Who are these US athletes and Heavy and Fly weight who have been winning all these world championships and international competitions?

Im looking at the results of the 09 world championships. I dont see any US male athletes on the medal stands other than Steven and Mark. Both the middle and heavy weight fighters didn't even get to quarterfinals. I think James Howe down in flyweight is good, but he lost at quarterfinals as well. When the other weight classes start turning in performance, then they will be selected as the weight classes the US Olympic team goes for.

Latest Discussions