FEMALE MIDDLE/HEAVY--ADRIENNE IVEY

MALE FIN/FLY--JAMES HOWE

MALE BANTAM/FEATHER--TERRENCE JENNINGS

MALE LIGHT/WELTER--TJ CURRY

MALE MIDDLE/HEAVY STEVEN LAMBDIN

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never been one much for making predictions, and I am not going to start now. But I must say that I love your predictions Tal!!! Or at least 1 in particular :)

Female Fin/Fly--DEIREANNE MORALES ---TOUGHEST FEMALE DIVISION

TEAM-X BABY!!!!

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have never been one much for making predictions, and I am not going to start now. But I must say that I love your predictions Tal!!! Or at least 1 in particular :)

TEAM-X BABY!!!!

I thought that it would be fun...DEIREANNE is very talented in a very tough division

The Mens side is very tough!!! Would like to see Reyes win just can't pick him.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
TJ Curry over Phillip Yun. I think TJ beat Phillip at the TKD festival in LA last year if I am correct. But Phillip has really ripped up and has been training hard. Should be interesting to see who gets picked.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought that it would be fun...DEIREANNE is very talented in a very tough division

The Mens side is very tough!!! Would like to see Reyes win just can't pick him.

So far so good. Deireanne defeats Gigi, 3-0 in OT

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So far so good again. Deireanne defeats Sabrina Salim 4-1. Next up is the winner between Charlotte Craig and Carolena Carstens.

Going as I thought....would not be surprised if Carolina beats Charlotte!

Any news on the rest of the bracket and the rest of the divisions!!!!

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The most impressive thing about this is that Deireanne is 14 years old

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TJ Curry over Phillip Yun. I think TJ beat Phillip at the TKD festival in LA last year if I am correct. But Phillip has really ripped up and has been training hard. Should be interesting to see who gets picked.

He is the most athletic of all in this division...Yun is great but has been inconsistent over the years...My only concern with TJ is that he peaked at Nationals....but Phillip is a great fighter... I had to pick one in a very tough division....Luke Ford is very good all the fighters in this division are great!!!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
He is the most athletic of all in this division...Yun is great but has been inconsistent over the years...My only concern with TJ is that he peaked at Nationals....but Phillip is a great fighter... I had to pick one in a very tough division....Luke Ford is very good all the fighters in this division are great!!!
Yeah the thing about Phillip is that he has no Master that he trains under. He just goes from school to school and works out. Now that he won at Nationals he as been training under Master Singer with TJ. So it should be interesting to see how he does.

His first match is againt Luke Ford. If the gets past that then he has Jason Grant. Then the finals.

TJ has a better seeding as he had a buy and only needs one fight till the finals. Phillip does have and up hill climb.

Just wish I was there to see the matches, all the matches.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So far so good again. Deireanne defeats Sabrina Salim 4-1. Next up is the winner between Charlotte Craig and Carolena Carstens.

I understand that Carolena beat Charlotte so the winners bracket final will be Deireanne vs Carolena. I have not heard any news on the loser bracket yet.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Going as I thought....would not be surprised if Carolina beats Charlotte!

Any news on the rest of the bracket and the rest of the divisions!!!!

Deireanne wins the first final (winners bracket) 15-1. Fights winner of Carstens v Craig. Whoever wins that must beat Deireanne 2x. She needs only 1 more win.

Bones

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You know, i just noticed this....this article from USAT does not even reference Deireanne Morales. She was on the jr. team last year, won sr. nationals and is doing pretty well today. I've seen articles where they referenced former team members. Maybe next time they won't forget to reference her:

USA Taekwondo to Hold Pan Am Games Team Trials & Rocky Mountain Open This Weekend at Olympic Training Center

Bill Kellick September 01, 2010

USA Taekwondo will conduct two separate events this weekend at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. The 2011 Pan American Games Team Trials will be held on Friday and Saturday (Sept. 3-4), and the Rocky Mountain Open will take place on Saturday and Sunday (Sept. 4-5).
The Pan Am Team Trials will determine the 8-member U.S. team (4 male, 4 female) that will attend the 2011 Pan American Games Qualification Tournament early next year. The trials will feature 22 male and 20 female competitors vying for spots in four weight divisions. The field includes three members of the 2007 Pan American Games Team, including 2008 Olympian Charlotte Craig (Murietta, Calif.) in the female fin/flyweight division, Jesus Armendariz (La Porte, Texas) in the male fin/flyweight division, and Lauren Cahoon (Miami, Fla.) in the female middle/heavyweight class.
In addition, nine of the 16 U.S. Senior National Team members will be competing as well as four U.S. Junior National Team members.
Senior National Team members in action include Armendariz, Craig and Cahoon, as well as female middle/heavyweight Dalia Avivi (Plantation, Fla.), male fin/flyweights James Howe (San Ramon, Calif.) and Johnny Nguyen (Chandler, Ariz.), male bantam/featherweight Terrence Jennings (Woodbridge, Va.), female fin/flyweight Caitlin VanDrisse (Maple Grove, Minn.) and female light/welterweight Paige McPherson (Sturgis, S.D.).
Junior National Team members competing are female fin/flyweight Giuliana Gil (Pasadena, Calif.), female bantam/featherweight Nicole Palma (Lake Worth, Fla.), female light/welterweight Merissa Pico (Fort Lee, N.J.) and female middle/heavyweight Adrienne Ivey (Ashburn, Va.).
At this weekend’s trials, weight divisions with 5 or fewer competitors will utilize the round robin format, while divisions with more than 5 athletes will compete in a double elimination format.
This weekend’s Rocky Mountain Open will feature over 165 competitors in sparring, poomsae and board breaking competition, and is open to ages 6 and up.
All competition will be held in Sports Center I, except for Saturday’s Pan Am Team Trials which will be conducted in Sports Center II. Competition begins at 9:00 a.m. each day. Single-day passes for the Rocky Mountain Open are $5. There is free admission for kids 10 & under, as well as USOC resident athletes and USOC/NGB employees.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I understand that Carolena beat Charlotte so the winners bracket final will be Deireanne vs Carolena. I have not heard any news on the loser bracket yet.

This is how that I thought that it would go...I was surprised that the GIGI vs. Deireanne match went to OT. Thought that she was to strong for GIGI. I picked Charlotte over Vasquez win I looked at it thought that she might beat her though.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations to Team-X Sport TKD's Deireanne Morales. Winner 2011 Pan Am Games Team Trials. She defeated Charlotte Craig, 1-0 in overtime after regulation ended 4-4.

Great Job Deireanne, Tim Thackrey, Joseph Salim and Dad Nelson Morales and mom Leslie!!!

Last edited:
OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congratulations to Team-X Sport TKD's Deireanne Morales. Winner 2011 Pan Am Games Team Trials. She defeated Charlotte Craig, 1-0 in overtime after regulation ended 4-4.

Great Job Deireanne, Tim Thackrey, Joseph Salim and Dad Nelson Morales and mom Leslie!!!

Congrats to Deireanne and everyone involved!!!

I have been saying this for years the Sport TKD athletes that are 16 and under are going to take this sport to a new level. The USAT needs to find a way to support these athlete's or they will have to fight for other countries. It is already starting to happen!

I have spoken to several coaches and anyone who has an opportunity for dual citizenship is looking at taking that option. I hope the USAT does everything that they can to support these young athletes. If they don't they will have no other choice but to pursue other options.

I hope that this is a eye opener for USAT and they will start focusing on all
athletes not the select few. The two girls that qualified via the National Team selection process did not do well. No more National Team Selection Camps this proves that they don't work.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
LOOKS LIKE I GOT 3 OUT OF 4!!!!

Burton beat Howe what a shock! Olie is a great fighter (came out of AAU Program) I thought he was to young. I was wrong!!!!

TJ Curry is on a roll well deserved by a great Kid Congrats Master Singer

The first four members of the U.S. Pan American Games Qualification Team were determined on Friday during the 2011 Pan Am Games Team Trials at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Qualifying for the team were Deireanne Morales (Lynwood, Calif.) in the female fin/flyweight division, Paige McPherson (Sturgis, S.D.) in the female light/welterweight division, Olie Burton (Accokeek, Md.) in the male fin/flyweight division and T.J. Curry (El Sobrante, Calif.) in the male light/welterweight division.

All four winners were the top seeds entering the finals. Morales defeated 2008 Olympian Charlotte Craig (Murrietta, Calif.), McPherson beat Sanaz Shahbazi (Sacramento, Calif.), Burton defeated James Howe (San Ramon, Calif.) and Curry won over Jayson Grant (Worcester, Mass.).

The other half of the U.S. Pan American Games Qualification Team will be selected following Saturday's trials at the Olympic Training Center. Weight divisions in action on Saturday are the bantam/featherweight and middle/heavyweight classes. The final eight-member team will compete at the 2011 Pan American Games Qualification event early next year at a time and location yet to be determined.
Looks like TJ Curry is on a roll well deserved Victory!!!!!

The first four members of the U.S. Pan American Games Qualification Team were determined on Friday during the 2011 Pan Am Games Team Trials at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Qualifying for the team were Deireanne Morales (Lynwood, Calif.) in the female fin/flyweight division, Paige McPherson (Sturgis, S.D.) in the female light/welterweight division, Olie Burton (Accokeek, Md.) in the male fin/flyweight division and T.J. Curry (El Sobrante, Calif.) in the male light/welterweight division.

All four winners were the top seeds entering the finals. Morales defeated 2008 Olympian Charlotte Craig (Murrietta, Calif.), McPherson beat Sanaz Shahbazi (Sacramento, Calif.), Burton defeated James Howe (San Ramon, Calif.) and Curry won over Jayson Grant (Worcester, Mass.).

The other half of the U.S. Pan American Games Qualification Team will be selected following Saturday's trials at the Olympic Training Center. Weight divisions in action on Saturday are the bantam/featherweight and middle/heavyweight classes. The final eight-member team will compete at the 2011 Pan American Games Qualification event early next year at a time and location yet to be determined.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For those that don't believe that punches score points in sport TKD, I just learned that the winning point in OT during the deciding fight between Deireanne and Charlotte was in fact a punch.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats to all the team members. Just got off Phillip and TJ's Facebook page. They looked very happy. Hopefully they will share some vids. I know Phillip will. I will have to wrestle TJ for some.

Great job all.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nicole Palma---Female Bantam/Feather
Lauren Cahoon---Female Middle/Heavy

Terrence Jennings---Male Bantam/Feather
Steve Lambdin---Male Middle/Heavy

5 out of 8! Not bad for my first attempt at prognostication!

Latest Discussions