Olympic trials update:

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
everyone knows he goes by TJ not terrance.
icon12.gif

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
texkwondo you really ned to go read all the rules so Bob Hubbard and the mods can just do there job. Remember we can opinions but we cannot slander someone name. Just for the record why would they change the division let either Terrance or Brian go and do there very best for our country.

Just on a side note I believe like some have said elsewhere Mark jsut did not train like he should have with the marraige, he really enjoys the family life and he should.

Slander? Chris Martinez and Charlotte Craig really are dating. Its a fact. Why is it a fair point to say Mark was distracted by his marriage, but slander to say Chris Martinez stopped competing because he was more interested in settling down with Charlotte Craig? It may have been crude the way I put it, but I assume that when a man and a woman love each other, they do certain things.

Change the division? What are you talking about? Terrance now has to qualify his weight class at the World Olympic Qualifier thing. If he loses there, he has one more chance at the north/south american regional one. Last time around Mark lost at the world qualifier, but made it to the finals along with Peter Lopez at the american regional. I think Terrence making it is kind of questionable. If Terrance can't qualify at those, the US gets no featherweight slot at the 2012 Olympics.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Slander? Chris Martinez and Charlotte Craig really are dating. Its a fact. Why is it a fair point to say Mark was distracted by his marriage, but slander to say Chris Martinez stopped competing because he was more interested in settling down with Charlotte Craig?

Change the division? What are you talking about? Terrance now has to qualify his weight class at the World Olympic Qualifier thing. If he loses there, he has one more chance at the north/south american regional one. Last time around Mark lost at the world qualifier, but made it to the finals along with Peter Lopez at the american regional. I think Terrence making it is kind of questionable. If Terrance can't qualify at those, the US gets no featherweight slot at the 2012 Olympics.

All TJ needss top de is finish in the top three and here is the part that says that.

Jennings and Diana Lopez will now advance to the World Taekwondo Federation&#8217;s World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Baku, Azerbaijan, July 16-19, 2011. A top-three finish there would earn a berth in the 2012 Olympic Games in London, England.

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
All TJ needss top de is finish in the top three and here is the part that says that.

Jennings and Diana Lopez will now advance to the World Taekwondo Federation’s World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Baku, Azerbaijan, July 16-19, 2011. A top-three finish there would earn a berth in the 2012 Olympic Games in London, England.

Yes. I know that. What I am saying is that I do not think TJ will finish in the top 3. Mark failed to do so in 08, and had to go through the regional level in South America, where he bowed out to Peter Lopez in the final, putting both of them through to 2008.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Slander? Chris Martinez and Charlotte Craig really are dating. Its a fact. Why is it a fair point to say Mark was distracted by his marriage, but slander to say Chris Martinez stopped competing because he was more interested in settling down with Charlotte Craig? It may have been crude the way I put it, but I assume that when a man and a woman love each other, they do certain things.

Never said Mark was distracted, what I said was some have said he was not training to his fullest potential and we all know to go against the best we have to offer we need to be in the right and best possible position. Also just as a sidenote Mark did fight his second match with a seperated shoulder and that is a true fighter, even when your hurt you continue at the best you can.

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Never said Mark was distracted, what I said was some have said he was not training to his fullest potential and we all know to go against the best we have to offer we need to be in the right and best possible position. Also just as a sidenote Mark did fight his second match with a seperated shoulder and that is a true fighter, even when your hurt you continue at the best you can.

So is my note on Chris and Charlotte a fair point or not?

Point being, it is a mistake to call my comments slander or libel or defamation of character. Because they are true. Chris and Charlotte are a couple. Its a fact. And if my post was deleted because of that comment, then the deletion was incorrect.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes. I know that. What I am saying is that I do not think TJ will finish in the top 3. Mark failed to do so in 08, and had to go through the regional level in South America, where he bowed out to Peter Lopez in the final, putting both of them through to 2008.

See texkwondo I somehow believe he can finish inthe top three especially with Master Remanack(mis-spelled) as his coach. He won all four of his bouts today, they was hard fought matches but he seem to have enoughto get the job done. We will just have to wait and see and have another decussion when the time comes around again.:asian:

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So is my note on Chris and Charlotte a fair point or not?

Point being, it is a mistake to call my comments slander or libel or defamation of character. Because they are true. Chris and Charlotte are a couple. Its a fact.

Yes it just could have been said with a little more tac. I guees but it is a fair point.
icon14.gif

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
See texkwondo I somehow believe he can finish inthe top three especially with Master Remanack(mis-spelled) as his coach. He won all four of his bouts today, they was hard fought matches but he seem to have enoughto get the job done. We will just have to wait and see and have another decussion when the time comes around again.:asian:

We will just have to wait and find out. Im sure he has a good chance, but I don't know if his chance is good enough.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TJ will qualify his division as will Dianne Lopez.

Tj Lost in OT @ the US Open To Maxim Potvin in OT Light Weight world Silver Medalist. He will more than hold his own. TJ and D Lopez will Medal in London. He just beat the Olympic silver medalist.

I have a new found respect for Dianne Lopez she has battled from injury and has fought her way back.

Now lets put the second TJ on the team....Good Luck MR. Curry!!!!!

The USAT ran a good trials from all accounts fair!

Fair Playing Field Fair Result.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
OLYMPIC TRIALS UPDATE: Steven Lopez defeats TJ Curry, 6-5, to win the Olympic Trials in the male light/welterweight division.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I guess Steven did well, I hope him the best at the next event.

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I guess Steven did well

lol. Had someone else won, everyone would be hailing them as a hero.

Face it, the Lopez hate is nothing more than irrational. . . jealousy?

Though 6-5? Lopez is getting mighty old.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol. Had someone else won, everyone would be hailing them as a hero.

Face it, the Lopez hate is nothing more than irrational. . . jealousy?

Though 6-5? Lopez is getting mighty old.

No I still stand behind what I have always said he needs to step down and give some other people a shot, maybe even different wieght classes. I still do not see him doing that well at the Olympics just because of age. But Like I also said I will cheer for our athletes all the way and yes Steven did a great job today, I do not care if the score was 1-0 or 6-5 a win is a win and nobody can say anythingbecause he played by the same rules as everyone else. His four matches proves he is still better than anyone else the USAT has in his wieght class.
icon14.gif

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No I still stand behind what I have always said he needs to step down and give some other people a shot, maybe even different wieght classes. I still do not see him doing that well at the Olympics just because of age. But Like I also said I will cheer for our athletes all the way and yes Steven did a great job today, I do not care if the score was 1-0 or 6-5 a win is a win and nobody can say anythingbecause he played by the same rules as everyone else. His four matches proves he is still better than anyone else the USAT has in his wieght class.
icon14.gif

Im still not sure why you think he should step down. If he is still the best the US has, why step down? If he is still the best, and still wants to fight, why? For the simple novelty and your own personal amusement of seeing a fresh face? That just doesn't make any sense.

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
He had four matches which he won nomatter what the score was a win is a win
icon14.gif

Gonna have to disagree with you. Winning by 10 points is a completely different thing than winning by 1 point. If Michael Jordan goes 1 on 1 against Steven Hawking, and the score goes 21-20, there is a huge problem with Michael Jordan.

I still maintain that Steven Lopez has been on the decline since around 2003. However, he was just so far ahead of the curve that his decline has taken him from an A+ student to an A student.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gonna have to disagree with you. Winning by 10 points is a completely different thing than winning by 1 point. If Michael Jordan goes 1 on 1 against Steven Hawking, and the score goes 21-20, there is a huge problem with Michael Jordan.

I still maintain that Steven Lopez has been on the decline since around 2003. However, he was just so far ahead of the curve that his decline has taken him from an A+ student to an A student.

But for making the team a win is a win and yes he has gotten slower but he still was just a little better than the rest of the field

Latest Discussions