Olympic TKD and Tradition

OP
X

XxTKDPenguinxX

OlympicTKD said:
A Badachagi is not all there is to Olympic Taekwondo. Apparently that is all he needed to use in order to beat you.

QUOTE]

No one ever said he beat me. As a matter of fact, he couldn't stop me from hitting himn repeatedly. That was the point I was trying to figure out, without having to say that I whooped up on some guy that used very little technique.

We spar for sport, yes. But we also learn a great deal of self-defense. Sparring for me is not why I'm in TKD. I'm in it because it is a martail art and I had missed the martial arts in my life.

So now, I'm stuck here thinking that Olympic TKD is like watching a kickboxing match with different scoring areas and time limits.

Just because someone goes to tournaments doesn't mean its just a sport to them. Yes, it is sport if there is points involved and so on... but that's just a bonus thing. It is NOT the reason we do it. At least its not my reason.
We compete with poome-sae, weapons, and sparring. Some chose to spar, some just want to do forms, others just go for weapons. I do all three and have won State for my division in weapons and ranked 2nd in free sparring and forms.
The only thing I wanted to know what was envolved in Olympic style TKD. I wasn't trying to put one up against the other here... just compairing them to see the differences.... nothing more.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
XxTKDPenguinxX said:
We spar for sport, yes. But we also learn a great deal of self-defense. Sparring for me is not why I'm in TKD. I'm in it because it is a martail art and I had missed the martial arts in my life.

So now, I'm stuck here thinking that Olympic TKD is like watching a kickboxing match with different scoring areas and time limits.

Just because someone goes to tournaments doesn't mean its just a sport to them. Yes, it is sport if there is points involved and so on... but that's just a bonus thing. It is NOT the reason we do it. At least its not my reason.
We compete with poome-sae, weapons, and sparring. Some chose to spar, some just want to do forms, others just go for weapons. I do all three and have won State for my division in weapons and ranked 2nd in free sparring and forms.
The only thing I wanted to know what was envolved in Olympic style TKD. I wasn't trying to put one up against the other here... just compairing them to see the differences.... nothing more.
Your comparison to Kick boxing is pretty accurate. You just have to add in the forms and that's about what I see too.

OlympicTKD said:
You don't have to fight anyone to know that Olympic TKD is different. I'm not sure what you people refer to as "Traditional" taekwondo. Do you mean Tang Soo Do? Because Olympic Taekwondo is exactly what they practice in South Korea. If you aren't doing it, you are just practicing Tang Soo Do.
As it was said earlier, there is more TKD than just Olympic TKD. In fact, if you look at the lineage of it, it started out as a combat art, not a sport art. They even tought it to the Korean army, why would they teach their armies Olympic TKD? Olympic TKD is a sport version of traditional TKD. Just like Judo in the olympics is not the same as traditionaly practiced Judo, it is just the sport version.
Not to burn on ya, I just take it that you are burning on the rest of us, and trying to say that what we do is not valid, or that we don't know what we are talking about. Trust me, I do not train in either TSD or Olympic TKD.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
OlympicTKD said:
You don't have to fight anyone to know that Olympic TKD is different. I'm not sure what you people refer to as "Traditional" taekwondo. Do you mean Tang Soo Do? Because Olympic Taekwondo is exactly what they practice in South Korea. If you aren't doing it, you are just practicing Tang Soo Do.

That's the line that Kukkiwon tries to feed everyone. The name "Tae Kwon Do" was originally suggested by General Choi, Hong Hi and Son, Duk Sung. Both of these men founded independent organizations (the ITF and WTA, respectively), neither of which practice Olympic style TKD as it is practiced in S. Korea today.

Some people might not like to hear it, but a country doesn't own the martial arts that come from it.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
being a student of both judo and taekwondo i like to take the method of the original judo...when it was founded, professor kano wanted to introduce a sporting aspect...so you can get feedback from competing against someone without having to worry about getting killed...not intended as being solely a sport or competition

my school is WTF, but i don't train in "Olympic TKD" i train in tkd, but when we compete we do so under olympic...aka WTF rules.....we train in a wide variety of aspects and we hardly ever do sparring in class..ever, we train, train hard...and that's usually enough to translate into good competitors for those who wish...there's a 15 year old at my school that wone both the ustu nationals and jr. olympics in his division last year...and he's shooting for 2008 olympic spot...and sometimes we'll do nothing but forms the whole night...and those are great classes, forms being my passion...

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, so noone else raised the obvious question; I guess I'll put myself out on a limb.

Why not start training in TKD as though one were actually training for kick-boxing. By this I mean that one wears impact equipt with the idea of hitting the opponent as hard as one can. How about manditory full-power bag/shield work? By this I mean body conditioning to take punishment. By this I mean training to take the person off their feet and finishing them on the mat with a choke, lock or pin. Thoughts? Anyone?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
as far as i know, very few tkd schools practice body conditioning...theres a good chance of serious injury that goes along with it...and in todays world, people run scared from the almight lawsuit

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
glad2bhere said:
OK, so noone else raised the obvious question; I guess I'll put myself out on a limb.

Why not start training in TKD as though one were actually training for kick-boxing. By this I mean that one wears impact equipt with the idea of hitting the opponent as hard as one can. How about manditory full-power bag/shield work? By this I mean body conditioning to take punishment. By this I mean training to take the person off their feet and finishing them on the mat with a choke, lock or pin. Thoughts? Anyone?
Nothing wrong with training like that, if that's what you want to do. There are some TKD schools out there that do train that way, but not many.

Considering the number of TKDists that cross-train in kickboxing of some form, or in a grappling style, I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually saw a new generation of TKD instructors train their students that way.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ya know, I hate that TKDers get such a bad wrap, but sadly, a lot of times it is right.

Anyway, I guess we do body conditioning, sorta. I mean we train hard and sometimes we go full contact. We take pads to the chest, abdoman, and arms. We aren't hardcore on it but, I think that all trained fighters should have the ability to take a hit from another trained fighter. And I would wager that we can.

Not that it has anything to do with the original topic

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We already do hard contact. Olympic style as in non-stop sparring for 5 min. matches. The body armor we use shields it to an extent. Most black belts hit at 75% power because alot of them can break cement with their hands and feet, besides we have a lot of big guys and small women. I have been flung against the wall by a 6' 4" guy, kicked in the kidney to wind knocked out, punched and broke a rib, decked to a nearly lights out and numerous fingers and toes sprained to mention some. We have had a few get hurt too much and leave. There has to be a balance between the two extremes.

Kickboxing is not the same as TKD nor would I want to change it to just that. I had a kickboxing class going for a few years. It wasn't the cardio variety run by the local community ed. It started out with 30 and ended finally with two guys and me. I thought they wanted a workout! Least I did, since I led and did the exercise with them. As far as just kickboxing sparring as in lower body, that takes too many "tools" out TKD and makes it more like Muay Thai or Hapkido. TW

Latest Discussions