Poor Guard (hands lowered while sparring)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
if thats the case andy I find it very contridictory, hammer or backfist dont use the front part of the knuckles, iv only just rejoined a club that competes so il ask the cheif next time I train, lots of things have changed since I last fought ie...scoreing to the back allowed, no leg blocking etc etc....il have to have a good read of current rules soon as I source them.

bests stagtown
Is scoring to the back allowed?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
if thats the case andy I find it very contridictory, hammer or backfist dont use the front part of the knuckles

Sorry mate, I've obviously confused things. The 2006 rules state front part of the knuckles. The 2010 Tashkent rules state "the clenched fist" without worrying about direction or trajectory.

iv only just rejoined a club that competes so il ask the cheif next time I train, lots of things have changed since I last fought ie...scoreing to the back allowed, no leg blocking etc etc....il have to have a good read of current rules soon as I source them.

I'd put a link to the current rules in my previous post. But to make it easier:

http://www.wtf.org/wtf_eng/site/rules/file/Competition_Rules_(Tashkent_version_final_2010).pdf

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is scoring to the back allowed?

Scoring is valid to "Body: The blue or red colored area of the body protector". I believe there were some hogu that came out where the hogu met at the back and was all blue/red, but the current EBP ones all seem to be white at the back.

I think the flanks (just behind the obliques) are OK, but the spine/central back area is a no-no.

RRepster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
backfist is not allowed in wtf full contact so which rule set do you spar under?

not WTF, and backfist is allowed anywhere above belt, and below head. Obviously when in Rome do as the Romans, but again that should be obvious to all but nitpickers.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a TKD student, participate in tournaments and compete this way. I have the trophies and medals to prove that you can spar competitively with your hands up, block more effectively and save yourself from a knockout head kick. The lack of people punching and not guarding just makes it easier for me to score on them when I drill into them or step INTO their round kick and backfist them in the chest. Sadly though, many many punches don't get counted because: a) bias on the judges for the WTF hands down, flashy kicks style and b) they happen at closer range so they are not looking enough even when you knock them on their butt by it. BUT at least I know I scored and for me the real point of competition is trying my self defense skills out in a safe way against a fast live opponent.

Competition under the WTF rules do not score backfist and award medals, not trophies for winners. It is safe to conclude that you do not compete under the WTF Rules, and therefore, there would be no "bias on the judges for the WTF hands down, flashy kick style". Most probably you are competing at open point karate tournaments.

Latest Discussions