Question for poomse OCDrs

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I took some of my students to a local tournament this weekend. It was a typical tournament. Now, I am a little biased when it comes to poomse, I love them! So, as I was observing (not judging) forms, and to be honest, I was let down... you know the people ya thought should have won, didn't. Inconsistancy in judges, "just to much grey area". I heard of a tournament where they use the bracket system with two people in the same belt range doing their form at the same time. The winner determined with a show of hands, like sparing the winner moved to the next round. I tried it this week at both of my schools it was warmly received by both the students and their parents. What do you think? I would appreciate any responses.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you are talking about is done at GGM Shin's tournament.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love poomse as well, and often get frustrated watching at tournaments as you do- it seems often the judges are looking for something completely different than what I value!
It is interesting you bring this point up because there is a local tournament here that is going to do forms the same way (according to the flyer). I want to go watch just to see how it all works out. Glad to hear your students liked it- that is a good sign!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I heard of a tournament where they use the bracket system with two people in the same belt range doing their form at the same time. The winner determined with a show of hands, like sparing the winner moved to the next round. I tried it this week at both of my schools it was warmly received by both the students and their parents. What do you think? I would appreciate any responses.

The USAT Nationals were double-elimination and two athletes would perform poomsae simultaneously with a "show of hands" by the judges. It goes a lot faster scoring this way (show of hands) versus the cards...

The double-elimination format is good because it gives the athlete at least two shots to win. I always feel bad for those athletes who travel to a tournament to compete and only spend 40 seconds doing their poomsae.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I, too, enjoy the double elimintation show of hands format used at nationals (though that was about the only thing I enjoyed...otherwise the poomse competition was not really handled well).

I also like the idea of holding all competitors responsible for knowing ALL of there forms. So, instead of having someone just have one form they need to do for a given level....hold them responsible for that level and anything below it...then call the form randomly for each round of a competition.

For example, blue belts should know and be ready to perform Taeguks 1-6. Round 1 everyone does taeguk Sah jang (pull the name out of a hat or something). round 2, they do oh Jang..and so on.

I sometimes think it takes more skill to do a basic form well (with power, focus, flow and intent) than it does to do a "harder", fashier form.

Finally, the scoring should be blind. Instead of just doing a show of hands (which can lead to a judge changing his/her vote mid hand raise so as not to go against the group...saw that at nationals too). Just have them either check off a box on a piece of paper or click the trigger on an electronic scoring rig. Most votes wins the round. The judges are less likely to influence each other and you get fairer scoring.

Peace,
Erik

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
The USAT Nationals were double-elimination and two athletes would perform poomsae simultaneously with a "show of hands" by the judges. It goes a lot faster scoring this way (show of hands) versus the cards...

The double-elimination format is good because it gives the athlete at least two shots to win. I always feel bad for those athletes who travel to a tournament to compete and only spend 40 seconds doing their poomsae.

Hmm.. Double elimination. Not a bad idea...

Latest Discussions