Olympic sparring

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering what ever happened to the gloves that was being developed for Olympic style sparring did the WTF scape this or is it on the back bunner. I've try to pull a few strings to get answer but no-one is talking at USAT of WTF anymore about it. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Terry

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gloves are in.

As I see it right now they are using the gloves and instep protectors on the international level only and will start filtering them down through the years.
At the recent Korean Open all competitors had to wear gloves and instep protectors.

You can alot of times streaming video of WTF competitions on this website
http://sports.kbs.co.kr/vod/vod.php?page=1
It is in Korean so you may have to hunt and guess for the links, that is the only down side.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Jay-I think it is better to cover the target rather than the weapon.

Miles

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree punching with a glove, they should get rid of the hogu.
Terry

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that the gloves are a terrible idea . . . right now.

How it's working out for the future is that the gloves and instep will be an integral part of the electronic scoring. Basically I see it as working as a redundant system so that there is limited error. IE) Blue gloves must transmit so much pressuer on red hogu which accepts the pressure. This would prevent people from slapping their own chestguard. It will also prevent scoring from attacking to illegal targets.

This is how I think it will eventually evolve into. Right now the gloves that are being used are very light fitting, and really don't offer tons of protection. I'll take a look to see if I can find some pictures of the gloves and instep guard. I know there is an american company supplying them and also Mooto has them, but I can't find them on their website yet.

J

JanneM

Has anyone of you who are against the gloves ever seen the glover IRL?

I have and it changed my mind.
I was strongly against the gloves and foot protection but I met the guy who disigned the gloves and foot protectosr (I only knew that after I badmouthed the idea of having gloves and foot protectors :) ) and he showed me the stuff. THe gloves where like motorcyclegloves. (very thin) and the padding on instep guard was also very thin.

I still vould perfer fighting without them but they don't bother me so mouch any more.
They bring on some extra protection agains bruises and they are mandatory for upcoming electronic hogus.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Out of curosity, why are you guys against hand/foot protection?

Granted the ATA has used hand gear since I have been in it, but the gloves were never designed with "protection" in mind. It was designed to prevent cuts.

I am not attacking anyone, but I guess I just don't see why someone would be against protecting a surface you are going to be strking with a lot, but (to my knowledge) have no problem with shin and forearm protectors.

J

JanneM

Well I think taekwondo should be fighting with "weapons exposed" but those new protective items are not so mouch extra padding than just there to prevent injuries to hand and foot and to help judgest to see points and to make electronic hogu developement easier.

So nowdays I'm not so mouch against those protectors.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm the oppisate. I think the weapons should be covered to prevent cuts and no padding for target areas.

J

JanneM

Shu2jack said:
I'm the oppisate. I think the weapons should be covered to prevent cuts and no padding for target areas.

That works out as well.
WTF has strongly been developing protective gear so I think we wont get rid of them any time soon...

I like to fight also with minimum rules and minimum protection but I also enjoy fighting in taekwondo rules with all the protectors.
I'm screwd up like that you know... ;)

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The ATA has slowly been adding more protective gear and it has just been annoying the crap out of me.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I understand about the ATA is it is trying to avoid lawsuit by adding the protective gear in the future. Is that true.
Terry

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Olympic sparring, are they going to allow hand technique to face? If so, then how do you know when that backfist or punch goes into the eyes and nose, etc. accidently on a spin? Cuts on the hand would be avoided with a thin glove but its not enough padding for the face. And, I know from experience that a punch to the chest can get deflected upwards into the face. So, now we wear chin strapped, cage headgear and don't have to use mouthguards. I felt claustrophobic at first but now am quite used to it. And using it gives us the opportunity to use hand technique and also more foot technique to the head.

We use full padded gloves, not quite like the big boxing gloves, so punching to chestgear isn't felt the same, but we can punch full out nonetheless and its hard enough. I've had guys tell me I punch hard and I feel theirs as well enough to tell them to turn it down sometimes. After all we aren't trying to kill each other. :) But the black belts are allowed a padded Century glove that is minimal. We just have to use control. (on my Christmas wish list). TW

J

JanneM

Tiger Woman
Don't worry punces to the face are not comming to WTF kyorugi. ;)

Some questions.
If punches to the face would be allowed. Why should we worry about not seeing if it hits to the eye or nose? They are part of the face and one of the primary targets of hitting (well not the eyes but the nose is)

How does cage add more kicking tecnigues into game? WHy cant you do some techingues if your opponent doesn't have the cage?

What style of TKD you practise?

Just wanted to know...

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We had a state-wide training session today and one of the collegiate players was wearing the gloves and socks. I asked him about it and he is trying hard to acclimate to them-he says the socks were actually easier to get used to than the gloves, which I find interesting.

Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
JanneM said:
Tiger Woman
Don't worry punces to the face are not comming to WTF kyorugi. ;)

Some questions.
If punches to the face would be allowed. Why should we worry about not seeing if it hits to the eye or nose? They are part of the face and one of the primary targets of hitting (well not the eyes but the nose is)

How does cage add more kicking tecnigues into game? WHy cant you do some techingues if your opponent doesn't have the cage?

What style of TKD you practise?

Just wanted to know...

I practice WTF style. I should have said hand technique to the head because any hand technique to the chest or head can go awry and go into the face.

If hand technique to the head is allowed, then risk to the face is there also in a multiple strike encounter. The nose may be a primary target or risk for Olympic level but for us everyday practictioners is not a risk most want to take. We only practice technique to the face for self-defense, but its non-contact. The cage is just a learning tool-it allows technique for those that can't control yet but it can be hit harder. I like it as I've been the practice dummy going up the ranks which resulted in bloody noses, cut lip and bruises all from foot technique. Plus I can breathe without having a mouthguard. Besides, one guy had a detached retina to the eye from a kick and consequently dropped TKD after three years in. A cage would have prevented that. Accidents happen but if we lessen the risk, we can "play" longer. I think that is partially what the new Olympic rules are about-lessening the risk with the gloves even if its a little. TW

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well as I understand head shot will be put in over the next three years with the 2008 Olympics sporting the new look Olympic TKD style and I hope all hands techniques will be available when it does happen. TigerWoman glad to see you back active again.
Terry

Latest Discussions