Older Martial Artists

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have a lot of folks on this forum who are getting up there in years. Personally, my training has suffered as my body has broken down. My elbows and shoulders are gimpy and overall, I just don't recover as well as I did even 10 years ago.

For those who still train regularly, how has your training regime changed? Do you do things now you didn't when you were younger?

And for those who, through some miracle of eternal youth, continue to compete, how has that changed for you over the years?
Not to imply that some schools teach incorrectly, but I have seen many that gave me the impression that they will regret that later in life. I was taught to not to over due it, not that the training wasn't strenuous lol, but to be easy on the joints. I do not have the joint pains that I have seen many have, however, I do still feel my age lol. So, your pains may not of been from training, just us getting old lol.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just want to mention, cancer runs in our family and I'm being treated for mine. But it looks good and I will be training forever and teaching for a few more years.
Sifu
That is the spirit we all need, I am a brittle diabetic, ands I suffered from a pretty bad stroke, but, I am back into it. I have gone through many medical issues, and I might be wrong for saying this, but my martial arts has saved me and brought me back. I have been a Shifu for 41 years, and my wife finally got tired of being my pion teachers assistant lol, she has finally decided to join the ranks of Shifu as well , its about time, she has been at it for 38 years lol. I finally convinced her to take Wushu in a more intensive manor, and not the performing Wushu.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that technology and "better" do not necessarily go hand in hand. I think it is a mistake to have that mindset. Oftentimes they do, but certainly with no mandate to do so.

Often, technological change is merely expedient for one specific group or another. It may save money and work for a company and aid in record keeping (CYA), but deliver inferior customer service. There is a trade off sometimes where it benefits one element, but at the cost of another.

I think this applies to martial arts as well. As in the "telephone game" where a chain of people relate a story from one to another, to another, and so on down the line - the story changes till, at the end, the point of the original story is lost.

To change something just because we can (to indulge our imagination or cleverness, or agenda) is shortsighted and usually has unintended consequences. We can increase our speed in a punch, but at a cost of becoming unrooted or out of position.

Before any change or technological "advance" we should take a step back and evaluate the root function or benefit the original way provided. If this is lost, perhaps change is not really an improvement. Much of this is also applicable to government's addiction to making new laws to appear they are doing something in the guise of "progress."

My moral for this story - Keep your eye on the root before branching off into technological or other changes.
I agree completely, I had a very long debate, to put it politely, with a gentleman stating that my suggestion to a person to practice wearing arm and leg weights while exercising to build up their overall strength. Of course, there was a lot more details to it, but the person kept arguing that the exercises defeats the direct strength needed for set punch's, I tried to go in as much detail on how set exercises will help, but he kept referring to one professional to another, missing or ignoring the overall advantage. People seam to use the internet to get so-called-professional advice or opinion.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, a lot of you guys are electronic/computer wizards it seems. I read the last dozen posts and gained nothing from them. Of course, I understood them about as well as I understand Japanese. Not really. I understand Japanese better.

When in my 30's, I decided to learn the mysteries of computers. I got the highest grade in my 50 person college level computer science class. But that was before Windows. Since then I have learned that 28 font results in bigger letters than 6 font. But 28 font uses too much ink and 6 font is too small to read, so I don't use either.

I studied international business (straight A's) and got in the import/export business and distribution. But I don't understand how to import/export images on my laptop. I use my cell phone to make phone calls. Weird, huh?

My car has memorized settings for the seat and mirrors, heads up windshield display, wipers that detect rain and self activate, as well as heated seats, and a few other things the owners manual tells you about, except how to make these mostly useless things work.

I'm glad I'm old and have an excuse not to clutter my brain with such things. My limited cognitive resources are applied to karate, my family, and to figure what I'll have for supper tomorrow. Life is good.
I remember the day of the bag phone lol, now I use my cell phone to get my blood sugar level. I once had a computer business, but when it came to the microwave or VCR, that was my wife's area, if it did not have a mouse and keyboard, forget it lol.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
My sons say that I was around when the Dead Sea was just sick!
LOL, that was good, I have a friend that lives with my wife and I, and I always make jokes about his age, so I had to tell him that one. That was better then any joke I have ever come up with. Yesterday we all were getting our fishing license and the cashier asked for his social security #, after he answered him, I said I thought it was just 1.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's better to talk about young, strong, health. It's not a good idea to talk about old, weak, sick. Life is too short to be in sad mood everyday.

View attachment 27691
Here is the depressing thing about being old, when I was in my 30 and 40's I use to look at 19 and 20 years old and think how nice and young they are, now I am looking at 30 and 40's and saying how nice and young they are lol. That picture above, that's a dream that would kill me, but what a way to go lol.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
LOL, that was good, I have a friend that lives with my wife and I, and I always make jokes about his age, so I had to tell him that one. That was better then any joke I have ever come up with. Yesterday we all were getting our fishing license and the cashier asked for his social security #, after he answered him, I said I thought it was just 1.
I once had some business at a bank that required two forms of ID. I happened to have my birth certificate tucked into the deep recesses of my wallet. The genius working at the bank looked over the document then said she couldn't accept it because there was no expiration date on it! She looked at me like I was crazy when I started laughing.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here is the depressing thing about being old, when I was in my 30 and 40's I use to look at 19 and 20 years old and think how nice and young they are, now I am looking at 30 and 40's and saying how nice and young they are lol. That picture above, that's a dream that would kill me, but what a way to go lol.
Several times I have had the embarrassing experience of stopping a student in the hallway and demanding they show their student ID only to discover it was just a younger teacher. Everyone under 30 looks like a child now.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I once had some business at a bank that required two forms of ID. I happened to have my birth certificate tucked into the deep recesses of my wallet. The genius working at the bank looked over the document then said she couldn't accept it because there was no expiration date on it! She looked at me like I was crazy when I started laughing.
Birth certificate isn't really identification, though. Is it? I mean, it's proof that someone was born, probably a long time ago. But that could be anyone, really. Right? :)

lc224

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm 60 and I don't spar very much because I tore a meniscus sparring. I still go to classes 3-4 times a week. The biggest issue I have is stamina and knee/back pain. The stamina is my fault and I just have to work on it. How do other older folks manage the fear of injury when sparring?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm 60 and I don't spar very much because I tore a meniscus sparring. I still go to classes 3-4 times a week. The biggest issue I have is stamina and knee/back pain. The stamina is my fault and I just have to work on it. How do other older folks manage the fear of injury when sparring?
1. Don't spar with white belts - they do crazy things.
2. Spar with those with whom you share mutual respect - not those wanting to show how tough they are.
3. Stay on the offensive - it's the best defense.
4. Have good health insurance.
5. Be old enough that you have little to live for. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do other older folks manage the fear of injury when sparring?
Spar with someone who knows how to protect his partner.

Example of how to protect your partner.

head-smash.gif

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's a combination of:
- Choosing your partners carefully. People who are technical and controlled generally don't injure their partners. I'd also say that younger folk often don't understand the value of rolling this way, but almost anyone over 40 does
- Drop out your own ego. Probably more than half the injuries come from your own stupidity. Resisting things that are on, trying stupid stuff that's not age appropriate etc
- Have a defensive mindset. Being very hard to submit means that you're also very hard to injure
Speaking as a 49 year old training 5 times a week and accepting that I may change my perspective when I hit 60
Kudos for still sparring at 60 BTW
D

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
1. Don't spar with white belts - they do crazy things.
2. Spar with those with whom you share mutual respect - not those wanting to show how tough they are.
3. Stay on the offensive - it's the best defense.
4. Have good health insurance.
5. Be old enough that you have little to live for. :)
If I have to spare with a large student, I let my wife spare him, no fears, no worries lol.

Latest Discussions