Older Martial Artists

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We have a lot of folks on this forum who are getting up there in years. Personally, my training has suffered as my body has broken down. My elbows and shoulders are gimpy and overall, I just don't recover as well as I did even 10 years ago.

For those who still train regularly, how has your training regime changed? Do you do things now you didn't when you were younger?

And for those who, through some miracle of eternal youth, continue to compete, how has that changed for you over the years?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll let you know after my upcoming back and knee surgery. :vamp: I'm hoping that afterwards I can return to the mat full time. Right now I do some light rolling with some guys I know. Sucks not being able to do the stuff you used to do.

My knee got severely damaged via a bad grapevine while I was on mount against a young ex-wrestler who was way bigger than me. My back injury isn't training related. Good thing my job provides good insurance!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, currently, I' not training, still in recovery from knee replacement. But prior to this my training was changing due to age and infirmity. Love JKD, started training it, but due to arthritis and a detached retina (2X same eye) I could not continue, this also limited any other style. Was doing Xingyiquan and taijiquan but now due to the knees I do not thing Xingyiquan is in my future. So I am looking to hopefully get back into taijiquan, at least back to where I was, this includes the martial arts side. Thinking about another complementary tyle, but not sure knees and hips will handle it. Time will tell.

My current training is mostly physical Therapy related, knee stretching and strengthening. And learning how to walk right again. Beyond that I am doing some seated dumbbell work and some stationary bike.

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I definitely qualify as an older martial artist. My training has not really changed much. Fewer reps (I think that's OK since I have the muscle memory already) and more rest breaks in between. Loss of overall stamina (both cardio and muscular) I think is a main cost of getting old.

I also avoid sparring with strong bangers. A little bit harder to avoid getting hit these days and, frankly, at my age, I don't relish pain as much as in my youth. Also, I am cognizant of the medical implications of getting injured at an advanced age. I don't imply that I can't fight with bangers, but I would rely on techniques to finish him ASAP and those would not be very sporting. Still, a 70 year old vs a 25 year old is not an easy thing.

In a real confrontation we must have realistic expectations - not overly scared, nor over confident. Seniors must be honest about their strengths and weaknesses. (I have no illusions about walking into a bar and picking up a cute 30 year old, for example, except in my dreams where I'm always young.)

There is a cycle of life that cannot be changed. But we can strive to be as fit as we can, keep learning, and use our dwindling physical resources as effectively as possible using experience and skill. Most of all, don't use age as an excuse. It's just another thing to deal with.

To Hanzo, Good luck with your surgery. Glad you're anticipating getting back on the mat. But, maybe it's time to stop rolling around on the floor like a kid, get into real karate and fight like a man.:p

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WIth arthritic hips (THANKS TKD!!), a surgically corrected knee (THANKS TKD!!), a fractured ankle that mishealed (THANKS SUCK IT UP ATTITUDE!!), various broken digits, strained connective tissues, tweaked vertebrae, etc... I don't bounce around like I used to. But I train every day for at least 45 minutes by myself, then at class for 2 hours 3 days a week then normally another 3 hours of private lessons. I don't spar much anymore (situational more than choice) and when I am home I have my training brothers than we can knock the snot out of each other reasonably safely and controlled to still get it in. I can't do a 3 round ring session that often and competitive banging is right out (normally due to age limitations set by state governing agencies), etc... but I don't slow down. I can't. Too long in the game, too much to still learn and get better at personally and quite honestly ... I hurt worse when I don't train and I'm kinda scared to eat that much aspirin to keep the pains down to a manageable level daily. So, it's easier to move, train and enjoy what I do than sit on my ***.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I consider myself lucky that at 57 years old I'm still able to train about 10-12 hours per week, including regular sparring. My stamina and recovery time are not what they were, but I know how to move more efficiently so it about balances out.

My biggest limitation is my wrists, which are arthritic and have bone spurs. That means I can't bend them back and apply any pressure, so if I do any pushups, they have to be knuckle pushups. More practically, I've pretty much quit capoeira, because I can't put any weight on my hands for the inverted positions. When I do Sumo, I can't use tsuppari (the thrusting palm strikes) even though those would be a good technique for my build. I can still punch hard, but I have to limit my time doing heavy bag or pad work because I will feel serious aches in my arthritic wrists later that night if I do too much. I also have to be careful about how I position my hands during BJJ grappling, but that's gotten most instinctive by now.

Sparring-wise, I feel comfortable grappling with just about anybody. I don't always win, but my rolling style is very much oriented around keeping myself safe and uninjured. For striking, I mostly keep things light to medium contact. I'll spar with some of our amateur and pro fighters, but only because I know they're not trying to knock me out. I can actually do okay against some of them point-wise, but I know that in a real fight their stamina and durability would win out.

I haven't competed in BJJ since I was a brown belt. There aren't many competitors in my age class and I'd have to put a lot of work into building my cardio in order to have any chance of hanging with the guys half my age. For friendly rolling at the gym I can use my experience to handle more athletic lower belts, while the upper belts tend to focus more on technical rolls - but at a tournament I'd be up against other black belts bringing all their athletic attributes into play.

I have had some fun competing in HEMA and amateur Sumo lately. I'm not particularly advanced in either, but the stamina requirements are much lower than BJJ, so I think I can continue with those for a while. I'll probably never get to be great at Sumo, since that requires explosive power. However I think I have the potential to get pretty good at HEMA. Not world class or anything, but at current rate of progress I could see myself being able to occasionally place in regional tournaments within the next couple of years.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am almost 69, I don't want to call myself "martial artist", I had 3 years of TKD in the 80s and injured my back from all the kicks. I since work on my own at home. I have 2 heavy bags and I do rounds on it. I have my straight regiment every week. I spend a little over 7 hours a week, which is like almost 1 1/2hrs a day, 5 days a week. But half of it is weight training.

Other than carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand, I don't have any yet(knock on wood). I credit all that to the weight training. Now, I am NOT giving medical advice, just telling my experience. Weight training literally saved my life. When I had back problem in the 80s, I couldn't even stand on my feet for 2 minutes without the tingling down my legs all the way to the toes. I exhausted all treatments short of surgery. Finally the doctor in St. Mary Spine center( the one that operated on Joe Montana) put me on a PT with weight. That changed my life.

Yes, as I get older, I started to have all sort of problems. It's funny, I am strong on my lower body, I always can clear the whole weight stack( they labeled 360 etc.) on leg raise and squat 265lbs(until my back gave out and had to quit). So I don't work on my lower body. I put a lot more effort on weight training on my upper body.

I never have problem with my lower body........until I turn 65. One day when I walk down the stairs, my knee buckled and I almost fell. I started to have knee problem without any injury. Since that time, I started to take the lower body more seriously and do more weight exercise on my lower body. I find particular exercise for the pain on my knees. Knock on wood, I am doing fine. Every week, I do squats with 140lbs weight(40lbs dumbbell on each hand, wearing two weighted jackets total to 60lbs). Doing lunges with 30lbs dumbbells on each hand. Up and down to 2nd floor 18 times in double steps(two steps at a time) and some custom exercise for my knees.

It is my believe weight training is very important to keep young, all the PT in the world won't do it, been there, done that. Stretching also important. Never stop and rest when pain comes on, just do it more gentle.

I don't feel I get weaker in MA side, maybe I never work that hard like you people. I do notice I lost poundage on my weight training. I could bench 5 reps of 225lbs 10 years ago, I could only do 185lbs two years ago before I started working out at home only. I replace bench press with weighted pushups. I wear 60lbs weighted jackets to do pushups with feet on the chair to make it harder. I do 22 reps on the first set, 20 on second set, the last two can only make it to about 14. Like I said, I still put 50% of my workout on weight training, I do that so I can do MA without serious injuries.

I want to emphasize this is ONLY MY EXPERIENCE. I just feel it's so important that I want to share my experience. Talk to your doctor, I am not a doctor, I just share my experience.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started training

- Taiji since I was 7 (it's so funny that some people still label me as anti-Taiji person).
- Bagua Quan (not Bagua palm) and hand striking staff since I was 11,
- long fist since I was 14.

I will be 74 next week. I am lucky that I don't have any knee, hip, or back issue. May be because my early Taiji training experience, I know how to protect my joints. I still run 3 miles 3 times weekly. I try to replace my running by walking with punches. But my deep desire still want me to run. I enjoy the feeling that the fresh air going through my lung.

I also work on the weight, heavy bag, train equipment 3 times weekly M, W, F. On the bag training, I will kick 200 times and punch 300 times for each training.

I have created 40 3 punches drills (such as right hook, left uppercut, right overhand, ...) that I drill each combo 20 times. That's 2,400 punches for each training. I also like to drill my entering strategies and finish strategies over and over.

I like to train in fast speed. I don't like to train in slow speed (even if Taiji is my 1st MA system). Fast speed training make me to feel young, health, strong. Slow speed training make me to feel old, sick, weak (may be this is why I'm labeled as anti-Taiji).

Since I have nothing else to do, I try to work out at least 2-3 hours daily. Sometime I start my workout from 2 pm until dark.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very helpful answers. I probably don't class as older being 34, but I tell ya, I certainly cannot train like I did 10 years ago, let alone 5!

I certainly don't recover like I used to... and really have to consciously have active and passive rest days. A massive focus the last couple of years has been mobility, relaxed movement and "bulletproofing" certain areas. A work in progress! My shoulder keeps getting tweaked, right knee is up and down, but I feel like I'm onto a good thing with my routines.

I have a feeling alot of my (and maybe alot of other people's) injuries, aches etc are more due to imbalanced training, so I'm making a move to try and correct and prioritise much neglected areas!

Definitely is a case of listening to our bodies huh.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Very helpful answers. I probably don't class as older being 34, but I tell ya, I certainly cannot train like I did 10 years ago, let alone 5!

I certainly don't recover like I used to... and really have to consciously have active and passive rest days. A massive focus the last couple of years has been mobility, relaxed movement and "bulletproofing" certain areas. A work in progress! My shoulder keeps getting tweaked, right knee is up and down, but I feel like I'm onto a good thing with my routines.

I have a feeling alot of my (and maybe alot of other people's) injuries, aches etc are more due to imbalanced training, so I'm making a move to try and correct and prioritise much neglected areas!

Definitely is a case of listening to our bodies huh.

I have boots AND jackets older than you ya young whipper snapper......Heck I have a flashlight older than you too..... now you kids GIT OFFA MY LAWN!!!!!!
And I do that better because I also shake my cane at you as I yell

giphy.gif

Dang kids today NO respect fer their elders

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started training

- Taiji since I was 7 (it's so funny that some people still label me as anti-Taiji person).
- Bagua Quan (not Bagua palm) and hand striking staff since I was 11,
- long fist since I was 14.

I will be 74 next week. I am lucky that I don't have any knee, hip, or back issue. May be because my early Taiji training experience, I know how to protect my joints. I still run 3 miles 3 times weekly. I try to replace my running by walking with punches. But my deep desire still want me to run. I enjoy the feeling that the fresh air going through my lung.

I also work on the weight, heavy bag, train equipment 3 times weekly M, W, F. On the bag training, I will kick 200 times and punch 300 times for each training.

I have created 40 3 punches drills (such as right hook, left uppercut, right overhand, ...) that I drill each combo 20 times. That's 2,400 punches for each training. I also like to drill my entering strategies and finish strategies over and over.

I like to train in fast speed. I don't like to train in slow speed (even if Taiji is my 1st MA system). Fast speed training make me to feel young, health, strong. Slow speed training make me to feel old, sick, weak (may be this is why I'm labeled as anti-Taiji).

Since I have nothing else to do, I try to work out at least 2-3 hours daily. Sometime I start my workout from 2 pm until dark.
And you wonder why you can't gain weight?!! You better drink more protein shake. For your workout, I don't know whether 100g of protein a day is enough. Talk to some more knowledgeable people than me. My gut say you need more, but I don't want to say it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The change in ability has ebbed and flowed over the years. At my peak, training was 5-6 days/week, 4-5 hours/day with actual weight and fight trainers. That was on top of full-time jobs and the farm. I had prior injuries to my neck that healed and gave me little trouble back then.
After my major competitive run, I slowed down, still training daily (school owner) but in hindsight, probably dropped too much of the routine too fast. But life was busy.
I settled into a normal routine of about 2-3 hours of training/day 6 days/week. This would include stretching, kicks, 1 on 1 drilling, and light sparring. I still competed at local and regional tournaments for several years but my intensity had definitely waned.
I am 58 now. In my late 30's I was hit head-on by a dump truck. Everything changed and most things physically stopped. We were able to keep the business side of things going but as far as my physical engagement with the schools and working out it all stopped. I had about a 10-year process of rehab to relearn how to walk and talk, 30+ surgeries, and then the signs of MS started to show up about 5 years after that. blah, blah, blah.
Rehab has never really stopped so you can imagine much of the exercise I have been doing all along, include\ing weight training. I credit our farming lifestyle for much of my recovery and ability to live a decently normal life.
I slowly got back into class about 5 years ago (have been in the office/background much longer), but feel 'working out' is a bit of a misnomer. As far as ability I will always be a shadow of my former but defensively I can still hold my own. Like Tony Dismukes, I still have fun banging with our top competitors and can still frustrate them because they have a hard time scoring on me. But I seldom score on them so, yeah.
This year I have had my left knee and left hip replaced, and the right knee is on the way. The MS definitely gets in the way of mobility but the new joints are doing great and I am actually looking forward to surgery for a change.
Now a days I still do rehab exercises every day, lift light weights 3 days/week, show up for class 2-3 times/week and we still farm, which is an 8 day/week job plus our other businesses. Life is pretty good all things considered.

To be clear, my injuries are NOT related to my martial arts very much at all. Sure, I had bumps, bruises, and even breaks (2 fingers, 3 ribs) along the way but I do not want to give the impression to anyone that this is normal for martial arts training. I love reading so many of the other posts that are proof positive that training extends longevity. Thanks for sharing.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To be clear, my injuries are NOT related to my martial arts very much at all. Sure, I had bumps, bruises, and even breaks (2 fingers, 3 ribs) along the way but I do not want to give the impression to anyone that this is normal for martial arts training. I love reading so many of the other posts that are proof positive that training extends longevity. Thanks for sharing.
Broke my ankle twice training in martial arts, however I didn't know I broke twice, until I broke it the second time and they asked me how I broke it the first time.

But there is one joint/arthritis issue the doc thinks is directly related to martial arts. One hip has an abnormal bone growth on the neck of the ball joint. He think that is from high kicks. The reset is just old age.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Broke my ankle twice training in martial arts, however I didn't know I broke twice, until I broke it the second time and they asked me how I broke it the first time.

But there is one joint/arthritis issue the doc thinks is directly related to martial arts. One hip has an abnormal bone growth on the neck of the ball joint. He think that is from high kicks. The reset is just old age.
This reminded me I broke a quarter sized piece of bone off my right ankle on a board break for my 3rd Dan test (running, jump spinning kick blindfolded). Long story short, I missed the boards just enough to glance off the side and landed with all my weight on the top of my right foot. I got up and did the break on my second try but shortly after I sat down my ankle was huge.
Hurt like a bxxxh when the adrenaline wore off. After the swelling went down the doc removed the bone fragment.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First time I broke it my insurance would not let me go to the ER without my MD's permission and he would not give it. He made me an appointment for 6 weeks later. So I put on a compression sock, an ankle brace and I was in security and had a pair of paratrooper boots that zip up, so I laced it tight and zipped it on. ^ weeks later it was fine. The second time I broke it I was supposed to meet my them wife, and my mother and father at a japanese restaurant. My wife made me go to the ER, I had different insurance and a different doctor by then. I then noticed I had a softball growing out of my ankle and when the MD asked me how I broke it the first time...I responded with.. I broke it before!!!!! he said yes. Then I remembered when it likely happened. first time kicking a kick pad and I caught it wrong, the second time was doing a Shaolin Staff form and the staff caught my foot in the air and I came down on my ankle. But then, I spend the rest of the class, holding a kick pad for others, while jumping backwards on one leg....today....about 30 years later......I would probably leave in an ambulance.... spent time on crutches and in a blow up cast.... ironically I am still using the same exact crutches....

UTShooter

White Belt
Reaction score
Past 50 now. I still train a couple of times a week at a friends dojo. Just light sparring, nothing too aggressive. Maybe once or twice a week I will do forms and shadow box as well. All of this is more to stay limber and keep my timing up. The rest of the time I am into just hitting the gym two or three times a week, getting in a run, or practicing my gun-do at the range. I have been very fortunate.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first sifu was fond of saying "you don't want to be old when you're old". Since the number one killer of old people is retirement, I think it's more important to keep moving as you get older. Circulation is important for maintaining health. And not all battles happen at practice. Want some staff training? Rake leaves. Want a little strength training? Carry water. Anything but sit, except when you need some yin time.

I find that making my bed first thing in the morning makes me feel younger. The first task of the day on the road to discipline. Then comes the hard Qigong, followed by the softening Lien Gong.

Later in the day, I use Tai Chi flow to gracefully shop for groceries and avoid hitting all the really, really old people, because hopefully I will be them some day, using Tai Chi flow to gracefully avoid younger people not watching where they're going.

One thing is for sure, I'll be cheerful the whole time. Everyone loves a cheerful old man.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since the number one killer of old people is retirement,
My retirement is different (since November 1, 2003).

Before my retirement, sometime I had to work from Friday morning 8 am until Sunday morning 10 am on my computer (more than 48 hours without sleeping).

After my retirement, I can train MA as long as I want to, I can then watch the blue sky and white cloud for the rest of the day.

To watch the blue sky and white cloud can also be a full time job.

Latest Discussions