old MA mag article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the canonical Wong Fei Hung lineage, the shadowless kick (from the rabid dog street legend) is like you said, but it's also not just a kick, it's a smash between fist and foot.

I forgot to point out that this image should be viewed right to left, the Crescent Moon Hand and Foot is the setup to the kick (and it's taught straight like you said, like a shovel kick, in the Tiger Crane Paired Fist but very important to consider: pretty much any type of front kick works just as well. Drill 8-12 different front types, push heel, instep, whatever, and there's no reason you can't substitute them. The actual important part is left arm, raised in the right image as the feint that smashes down on the head, while the right leg kicks.

View attachment 28042

Any time. Here's another "fancy" kick setup by southern standards, pretty common right leg side kick from Crane/Dragon/Unicorn stepping transition (depending on who you ask). Again, just one image but there are a few ways I can remember to pull this off, including a teep, a heel push, and even leaping kick and flying knee version.

View attachment 28043

It's unfortunate that so many choose to pick up Wing Chun, but stop there. If I had stopped at Hung Ga Kuen, I would never have picked up the Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist, which is probably one of the most useful techniques I've ever come across. Yet another technique image from the southern Tiger Crane that doesn't come close to describing all the different Crane technique ways the index finger can be used to dig into the opponent. If you have a little brother you you want to torture, this is all the technique you need. Also in Wing Chun somewhere, as well as Japanese art where it's called ippon ken, the "One Fist"

View attachment 28044
That makes alot of sense. When it comes to the fist and foot I'm assuming you mean something similar to the picture hiding dragon leaping tiger? If so I've seen/ know alot of forms with moves similar "kick/punch" at the same time before landing into a horse stance.

Ah I see that makes alot more sense now!I think that's the hard part of learning some stuff from pictures is the in-between can be hard to figure out. I'm guessing the invisible kick/shovel kick is probably what the wing chun lists as the first kick "lifting" for a low front kick? Yeah I agree so many people do round and side kicks but I hardly see many do front kicks. Oh okay yeah I see what you mean with the arm being a feint. Makes sense with what you said about the crane using them prior to fainting then.

That's cool! I've seen that stance before with similar names I've seen it also called scorpion and scissor stance. That would be pretty cool! It's definitely aore unique stance.

Oh yeah I definitely agree. I always thought Wing Chun was alot smaller of a system than it really is. I'm enjoying finding more and more on it. I've been training in it for so long yet in still learning new stuff haha. That's definitely a very great technique! I've used and been hit with it before and it's a great way to hurt someone haha. Haha thanks ill have to try that out! I've seen alot of grabbing and gouging in the monkey system also which makes sense.

You said you had a list of 12 kicks that also contained the 8 wing chun ones?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
You said you had a list of 12 kicks that also contained the 8 wing chun ones?
I do, but my notes are chicken scratch. I'm trying to figure out how to import them into Microsoft Word right now.

Transcribing all these texts isn't easy! I have to deal with a lot of riff raff, daily.

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I do, but my notes are chicken scratch. I'm trying to figure out how to import them into Microsoft Word right now.

Transcribing all these texts isn't easy! I have to deal with a lot of riff raff, daily.
Ah I see. Honestly alot of my notes are the same so I understand haha. Now I just rely on using my phone so I can just search key terms. Haha yeah I can see why it's alot of work. If your ever able to get them and don't mind posting them that would be great. I know this list was connected to Augustine Fong but I've watched a few of his videos and I didn't see anything directly talking about it.

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dod hear they are apparently in the Ip man Wooden Dummy but I don't know if they're the same 8 kicks in this list

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dod hear they are apparently in the Ip man Wooden Dummy but I don't know if they're the same 8 kicks in this list
I'm going through my drill lists now, assembling the "Gerk Squad". I have a list of 18 basic drills, 18 advanced drills, and about 300 terms in hanzi and English to work through, but I'm sure I can come up with at least 12 kicks. I did once have a specific list of just kicking drills, and I cannot find it. :(

Here's the thing about the Wooden Dummy though: it doesn't kick back. In my opinion the best way to really learn all these kicks is on a heavy bag. I don't own a Wooden Dummy, but I do own a faithful bag, and boy he's seen 10,000 kicks.

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm going through my drill lists now, assembling the "Gerk Squad". I have a list of 18 basic drills, 18 advanced drills, and about 300 terms in hanzi and English to work through, but I'm sure I can come up with at least 12 kicks. I did once have a specific list of just kicking drills, and I cannot find it. :(

Here's the thing about the Wooden Dummy though: it doesn't kick back. In my opinion the best way to really learn all these kicks is on a heavy bag. I don't own a Wooden Dummy, but I do own a faithful bag, and boy he's seen 10,000 kicks.
Awesome I appreciate it! That sounds super amazing honestly. Come to think of it I do remember being taught at one point a Wing Chun kicking form years ago. It was called dyan tek or lighting kick I believe I'd have to find the book that referenced it. That would be great if you can! Awh man that sucks hopefully you'll find it one day I can definitely relate to having lost stuff like this it sucks cause the real gold is usually impossible to find again. Yeah your right I do like the Dummy alot and I was told it over time Conditions your hands and arms. I have a heavy bag myself and I use it alot. Yeah I agree especially if you want to go for power training a heavy bag is the better option. Haha yeah thats definitely the right way to use it!

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Awesome I appreciate it! That sounds super amazing honestly. Come to think of it I do remember being taught at one point a Wing Chun kicking form years ago. It was called dyan tek or lighting kick I believe I'd have to find the book that referenced it. That would be great if you can! Awh man that sucks hopefully you'll find it one day I can definitely relate to having lost stuff like this it sucks cause the real gold is usually impossible to find again. Yeah your right I do like the Dummy alot and I was told it over time Conditions your hands and arms. I have a heavy bag myself and I use it alot. Yeah I agree especially if you want to go for power training a heavy bag is the better option. Haha yeah thats definitely the right way to use it!
I've been reading over the principles because that's truly the second half of the kicks and from my understanding I would say
1) Lifting- would probably be like the invisible kick concept

2) nailing - I saw a kick where theology the leg almost fully extended and then kick at the intended target so the leg goes in a slightly Downward but forward motion. So I'm not to sure what general concept could be taken from that

3)Sweeping is this also self explanatory just sweeping motions used for take downs like in the beginning of bil jee? I'm not sure how you can apply it to all of the 8 kicks

4. Scooping

5. Stomping strictly Downward motions?

6. Circling

7. Snapping

8. Skipping self explanatory basically taking a small skip before the kick to close the distance

I could make assumptions about the rest but that isn't always the way to go haha

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I bought a magazine that had the 8 kicks. The article is the same that was linked but these are all of the pictures. Im still not sure where else this can be found (Inside Kung Fu December 1991) it doesn't seem to have everything but I think this helps alot

Attachments

• 20220223_112302.jpg
    20220223_112302.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
  • 20220223_112321.jpg
    20220223_112321.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • 20220223_112340.jpg
    20220223_112340.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
  • 20220223_112349.jpg
    20220223_112349.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
  • 20220223_113154.jpg
    20220223_113154.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I bought a magazine that had the 8 kicks. The article is the same that was linked but these are all of the pictures. Im still not sure where else this can be found (Inside Kung Fu December 1991) it doesn't seem to have everything but I think this helps alot

Wow! Can't believe you found it. I've been looking for it for years.

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow! Can't believe you found it. I've been looking for it for years.
Yeah i guess I got lucky. I noticed the bottom of the picture said inside kung fu and just happened to find a copy of it. Hopefully this helps whoever else is looking for it. I'm not sure if there's anything more on it but now we atleast have pictures of all of the kicks. I've figured out some of the leg blocks so that should help also

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
And there it is, a Wing Chun kick above the waist, on the dummy. And the ankle breaking kick. Neat!

The similarity between the Tan Tui sets and these photos isn't coincidental. I've always suspected Tan Tui is one of those sets that isn't often taught in Wing Chun schools, but really should be, because so many of the southern non-Wing Chun schools do it. Especially given the 24-12-8 thing. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah i guess I got lucky. I noticed the bottom of the picture said inside kung fu and just happened to find a copy of it. Hopefully this helps whoever else is looking for it. I'm not sure if there's anything more on it but now we atleast have pictures of all of the kicks. I've figured out some of the leg blocks so that should help also
Thank you for posting it.

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And there it is, a Wing Chun kick above the waist, on the dummy. And the ankle breaking kick. Neat!

The similarity between the Tan Tui sets and these photos isn't coincidental. I've always suspected Tan Tui is one of those sets that isn't often taught in Wing Chun schools, but really should be, because so many of the southern non-Wing Chun schools do it. But that's just my opinion.
Yeah I see what your saying. I guess it shows just how much there still is to learn. I never would have expected such a high kick but I really enjoy it. It makes sense there's similarities I could see it not being taught alot I mean I hadn't even heard of a Wing Chun kicking form till a few years ago. It's good more and more of this information is coming out so we can all benefit from it

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I see what your saying. I guess it shows just how much there still is to learn. I never would have expected such a high kick but I really enjoy it. It makes sense there's similarities I could see it not being taught alot I mean I hadn't even heard of a Wing Chun kicking form till a few years ago. It's good more and more of this information is coming out so we can all benefit from it
This is the way. Wing Chun isn't constrained to 3 forms. See? And yet the arguments I have had with Wing Chun students over this simple thing they seem to miss. It's basically Bruce Lee's same critique, why limit yourself?

What I meant by the "24-12-8 thing", I should clarify.

Confucianism eroded by the confluence of Taoism and Buddhism (the Shaolin Trifecta), is how these arts are drawn out on paper, film. Old northern sets have 24, 12 kicks, newer southern sets have 12, 8. There's only one kick though, the one that hits all by itself. That's the idea, anyway.

My kicks are probably my worst assets, but I can still kick above my head, which is something. Time to stretch...

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah I totally agree! I think alot of it comes from misinformation. I always knew 3 empty hand forms and 3 other sword, staff, and dummy form. oh wow thats really interesting. I do find the wing chun kicks interesting because atleast for this it's 8 kicks but in reality there's way more because of the principles. It is unfortunate over time all of this has been lost or just forgotten. I see what your saying between hands and legs my hands are better but I can still kick pretty well. I've been doing tons of research for kicks. I even got the bagua 72 kicks book. Have you heard of that?

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've never heard of it.
Can you snap a pic of the cover and post it here please? Thx!
Yeah definitely! You can find some of it online but the whole book I wasn't able to so I just bought it. It's in Chinese but has some pictures so I could just use my phone to translate it. The second picture is of the first two kicks there definitely alot different than what I expected but pretty cool either way!

Attachments

• 20220223_145013.jpg
    20220223_145013.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220223_145034.jpg
    20220223_145034.jpg
    881.2 KB · Views: 61

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
They follow the principle "a step is a kick and a kick is a step" so there kicks are apparently all hidden withing their walking so to speak and such. It makes sense so you really need to be trained properly to get this stuff. I've had some training in bagua and I can see why it's done this way it makes it so the kicks go well with walking so you have a constant forward pressure

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah definitely! You can find some of it online but the whole book I wasn't able to so I just bought it. It's in Chinese but has some pictures so I could just use my phone to translate it. The second picture is of the first two kicks there definitely alot different than what I expected but pretty cool either way!

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions