Just went to a great seminar....

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately our school had to postpone our usual fall seminar with our chief in instructor. :( ...Then I got word through a senior student that another WC organization in our area was bringing their Chinese Sifu in to give a seminar, including a full weekend session open to the public. My student rather shyly asked permission to attend. My response was "Heck yeah, lets both go!"

Anyway, if not as "brothers", we were graciously received as kung-fu cousins. To my total surprise, their Grandmaster even insisted that I be addressed as sifu and sit with him and the other sifus at dinner and during photo ops. During training we all covered a lot of material, did chi sau with a lot of different people at all levels, and had a blast. I even met a couple of guys who had once been members of my own lineage --way back in the late 80s-90s, including an old "kung-fu nephew" an older gentleman who now runs his own school. That was especially cool since during breaks we could go aside and meaningfully discuss subtle and not-so-subtle differences in the two WC systems.

So when it was all done, my student and I came away with a lot of great information, drills, and a new list of friends and contacts. And although I am very happy with the association I currently belong to, I would certainly support and recommend future seminars with this group and their head sifu. More importantly, I'm hoping to get our two groups together in the future. Next on my list, getting off my duff and reaching out to Joy's group. Or convincing my own instructor to offer a short "open" seminar to other WC folks in the area next time we bring him into town. Doing WC in relative isolation is not helping any of us! ;)

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Unfortunately our school had to postpone our usual fall seminar with our chief in instructor. :( ...Then I got word through a senior student that another WC organization in our area was bringing their Chinese Sifu in to give a seminar, including a full weekend session open to the public. My student rather shyly asked permission to attend. My response was "Heck yeah, lets both go!"

Anyway, if not as "brothers", we were graciously received as kung-fu cousins. To my total surprise, their Grandmaster even insisted that I be addressed as sifu and sit with him and the other sifus at dinner and during photo ops. During training we all covered a lot of material, did chi sau with a lot of different people at all levels, and had a blast. I even met a couple of guys who had once been members of my own lineage --way back in the late 80s-90s, including an old "kung-fu nephew" an older gentleman who now runs his own school. That was especially cool since during breaks we could go aside and meaningfully discuss subtle and not-so-subtle differences in the two WC systems.

So when it was all done, my student and I came away with a lot of great information, drills, and a new list of friends and contacts. And although I am very happy with the association I currently belong to, I would certainly support and recommend future seminars with this group and their head sifu. More importantly, I'm hoping to get our two groups together in the future. Next on my list, getting off my duff and reaching out to Joy's group. Or convincing my own instructor to offer a short "open" seminar to other WC folks in the area next time we bring him into town. Doing WC in relative isolation is not helping any of us! ;)
Soooooo......who was it? [emoji2]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are right. Isolation is never good. The sad thing is, some people do it on purpose because let's say they are the only wing chun school in town, and someone new comes along...the Sifu of school #1 might not be willing to do chi sao with Sifu #2 because if #2 is better than #1, they might start to lose students. Sad when the focus changes from teaching the art to earning the money.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are right. Isolation is never good. The sad thing is, some people do it on purpose because let's say they are the only wing chun school in town, and someone new comes along...the Sifu of school #1 might not be willing to do chi sao with Sifu #2 because if #2 is better than #1, they might start to lose students. Sad when the focus changes from teaching the art to earning the money.
Yes but in a way you can understand it especially if its a full time instructor who uses teaching to pay his bills

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
Right On!!
To me, it speaks volumes of the confidence that a master has in his skills and knowledge when he opens his seminar doors people of all backgrounds and encourages his students to roll with those from other lineages.
Good on this mystery master and on you, Steve, for heading over with your student!

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes but in a way you can understand it especially if its a full time instructor who uses teaching to pay his bills
A valid point, but also an indication of how the commercialization of WC can be responsible for it becoming insular and, possibly, lead to a diminishing skill base.

I'm going to float an idea: Maybe the best sifu's have a full time job and just teach WC as a passion rather than to put food on the table.

Generalizing, for sure, but there might just be something to it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's just awesome, that's the way the Arts always should be.
Glad you got to sit at the proper table, too. What you've earned and deserve.

Martial Arts, such a grand thing.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
My response was "Heck yeah, lets both go!"

So when it was all done, my student and I came away with a lot of great information, drills, and a new list of friends and contacts. And although I am very happy with the association I currently belong to, I would certainly support and recommend future seminars with this group and their head sifu. More importantly, I'm hoping to get our two groups together in the future. Next on my list, getting off my duff and reaching out to Joy's group. Or convincing my own instructor to offer a short "open" seminar to other WC folks in the area next time we bring him into town. Doing WC in relative isolation is not helping any of us!
Awesome!!
Would love to meet and exchange some training time with anyone here.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Steve-you are most welcome to meet with my group. A Thursday or a Monday is usually a good time no fees etc. But usually in November I invite my sifu for one evening-there is an honorarium for that one. Because of hellish obligations I have not yet got together for that one.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I may have a Phoenix work trip soon...will do my best to scout out local WC/VT/WT places whole there if work schedule allows.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
A valid point, but also an indication of how the commercialization of WC can be responsible for it becoming insular and, possibly, lead to a diminishing skill base.

I'm going to float an idea: Maybe the best sifu's have a full time job and just teach WC as a passion rather than to put food on the table.

Generalizing, for sure, but there might just be something to it.

Well, my post was based on something that actually happened...and yes, the Sifu who would not Chi Sao with another DOES rely on it as his main source of income.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Steve-you are most welcome to meet with my group. A Thursday or a Monday is usually a good time no fees etc. But usually in November I invite my sifu for one evening-there is an honorarium for that one. Because of hellish obligations I have not yet got together for that one.

Joy, I changed phones and lost some contacts ...including your phone number! I could get it from Jeff Webb, but it would be easier if you could email it or PM it to me. My email and phone are listed in the contact section of my webpage --click on the first line on my signature below.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sam Kwok. But that's not why I posted this thread. Kwok does some things well, other things I might not agree with... but the point was about getting together in a positive, productive way with others in the WC/VT community. :)
-----------------------------------------
-I figured it was Kwok

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Joy, I changed phones and lost some contacts ...including your phone number! I could get it from Jeff Webb, but it would be easier if you could email it or PM it to me. My email and phone are listed in the contact section of my webpage --click on the first line on my signature below.
-------------------------------------------------------Steve- I tried to email you via your listed site in your signature. But the screen says "mail client not properly installed".
Apparently the same for me..But as a direct email rather than clicking on you address- <[email protected]> should work.
I am not always home but I do check voice mail. Why not try to use the above email addie. I teach MWTh at 6 pm. Tuesdays at 5 pm and Saturdays at 9 am.
Usually M Th and Saturdays are the best days to drop by- if you let me know.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------------Steve- I tried to email you via your listed site in your signature. But the screen says "mail client not properly installed".
Apparently the same for me..But as a direct email rather than clicking on you address- <[email protected]> should work.
I am not always home but I do check voice mail. Why not try to use the above email addie. I teach MWTh at 6 pm. Tuesdays at 5 pm and Saturdays at 9 am.
Usually M Th and Saturdays are the best days to drop by- if you let me know.
Good info. Thx. I just found out the hotel info and it's a hotel in Tempe! :)

Latest Discussions