FMAT: old mags

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
old mags
By maliksi77 - 02-07-2009 02:02 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Just thought I would share this with my fellow enthusiasts...

I have a fair-sized collection of old martial arts magazines dating back from the 1960’s to the present. It’s fascinating to see how the Filipino martial arts were depicted back in days past. Here is a sampler of some of the articles I recently became reacquainted with when I cleaned out my storage space.

A Dying Art: Sikaran – Art of Philippines Foot Fighting, by Emanuel Querubin (Black Belt magazine, April 1966). This groundbreaking article describes for a worldwide readership, perhaps for the first time, the native Filipino kicking art. It mentions three early haris, or kings, of the art. The piece outlines Sikaran’s history, techniques and training methods, as well as its competitive rules. The pictorial features experts in the art and notes then-Captain Meliton Geronimo as a pioneer responsible for its propagation.

The Mask of Silat: The Bloody Sport of the Philippines, by Antonio V. Mendoza (Black Belt magazine, July 1968). Apparently the result of a trip to Mindanao by the reporter and a brave crew, this article gives information on the bladed art as practiced by indigenous people of the southernmost provinces. It mentions the ferocity of the Moros in waging bloody campaigns against Spanish and American invaders. The article also describes basic cutting and parrying maneuvers with the kris, kampilan and the barong.

Rhythm, Weapons and Death Matches: The Filipino Art of Kali, by George Klouvatos (Fighting Arts magazine, November 1976). This is an early article on the art of Grandmaster Floro Villabrille, as handed down to Grandmaster Ben Largusa. It gives an account on FMA history and recounts the development of GM Largusa. The piece describes the aspects of numerado, sikaran, literada, fraile, cabisedario and others. The extensive pictorial illustrates armed and unarmed techniques featuring GM Largusa, Tony Lamadora and Greg Lontayao, among others.

The New Crime Fighter: Arnis de Mano, by Alan Vasquez (Official Karate, April 1977). This issue features Tuhon Leo Gaje in a dynamic cover shot. The article gives a good description of the Pekiti-Tirsia system as learned and handed down by Tuhon Gaje. It mentions his involvement in training law enforcement personnel. The excellent photo set shows the abecedario attacks, cuatro cantos defense, the dakup and punyo system and other techniques.

Yaw Yan, The Philippine Dance of Death, by Glenn Kearney (Official Karate, November 1982). Possibly for the first time anywhere outside the P.I., this article provides a close look at the full-contact art developed by Grandmaster Napoleon Fernandez. Yaw Yan’s effectiveness has been proven in the full-contact, muay thai and, most recently, MMA rings. The article outlines technical aspects such as the art’s footwork, stance, hand techniques, and its devastating arsenal of kicks. It also describes the physical conditioning of a Yaw Yan fighter. Photos show hooking kicks applied, and a candid shot of GM Nap Fernandez.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I have a fairly large collection of old MA mags too and it's interesting to look back and see how the arts and the perception of certain arts has evolved and changed over time.

Latest Discussions