Old, fat, out of shape guys needs advice.

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hehe, What a first post title.

Little background. I took Ta-Kwon-Do about 20 years ago for a few years. So I not a total novice.
(fast forward thru time).

My Daughter wanted to start taking karate. Being she is big into competitive soccer, I know she has dedication for what she sets her mind to, and signed her up. Her only demand.. That her fat lazy 40 year old dad sign up also to get into shape.

Anyway, I have started, and believe it or not most of the punches and kicks came back like second nature. (the movements anyway).

But I am having a few problems getting back into this life style and am looking for a little advice.

1)After lessons, My muscles aren't sore. But it is like the ligiments in my lower body are. Even with a lot of stretching (I am as limber as a steel bar now). Mainly a lot of discomfort behind my knees and the outside of my hips. Does anyone have any suggestions or things I could try to improve that?

2) My left leg has become useless. Any one have any suggestions on improving techniques for a leg that is so far behind the other one?

I know that as out of shape as I have let myself become it will be a long, hard uphill battle to get back in shape. And I am awear that like most things, Practice over time will certainly help out in both issues.

Just wondering if anyone has came accross any training tips, or exercises that I can use to improve those areas while working on the normal practices.

Thanks for you time!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off welcome to the site, now on to your question I'm with you after a few years of health problem I with you fat and out of shape. The thing that keeps me going is consistants always doing the same routine until it becomes easy and then moving on to something els the body needs to be reorganized since the lay off. Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started MA at 50yrs old and I had problems with ligament and muscle strain early on. I've read that yur muscles and tendons lose some of there elasticity as you age so that would be something to watch out for. In my case, I think I stretched too much before exercising. Now, I only do light stretches when my muscles are cold and reserve my serious stretching for after I've warmed up. I also don't go all-out until my muscles have warmed up. I'm having less issue with my hamstring since I've started this regimen and no issues with my ligaments and other muscles. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not.

edit - I never experienced muscle or ligament strains when I was younger.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You've gotten some great advice....Stock up on Tigers Balm (Red) for muscle aches and Woodlock Oil for the joints..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I started MA at 50yrs old and I had problems with ligament and muscle strain early on. I've read that yur muscles and tendons lose some of there elasticity as you age so that would be something to watch out for. In my case, I think I stretched too much before exercising. Now, I only do light stretches when my muscles are cold and reserve my serious stretching for after I've warmed up. I also don't go all-out until my muscles have warmed up. I'm having less issue with my hamstring since I've started this regimen and no issues with my ligaments and other muscles. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not.

edit - I never experienced muscle or ligament strains when I was younger.

Yup...always...ALWAYS warm up before stretching and try never to over stretch

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
try to copy everyone in the class and especially your daughter. by closely observing them you might learn more about the arts and yourself. i mean, the way that is stretched. which exercies. and especially i think lots of stretching is in order. - tell me about it, i practically have to kick myself in the *** to get moving nowadays.

j

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
try to copy everyone in the class and especially your daughter. by closely observing them you might learn more about the arts and yourself. i mean, the way that is stretched. which exercies. and especially i think lots of stretching is in order. - tell me about it, i practically have to kick myself in the *** to get moving nowadays.

j

I'm still kicking myself LOL
icon10.gif

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The older you get the more warm time is needed.

Try this: Jumping jacks...start with a low number and EVERYDAY...increase the amount, idea is to work up to over 100 +.

Jumbing rope is good and also...just walking up to 30 minutes everyday...

Two more excercise that will get you BIG IMPROVEMENTS? Push-ups and leg squats...both of these need to be started at low numbers and daily or weekly increase the amount everytime...till you can do 100 or more (perfer 10,000?) ,,,just kidding? UM?

Keep your excercise at home simple , (the above requires NO equitment) just the will to do it everyday!

I too am in the mid fifties and still trying to keep up with the younger ones!

The other choices are just EXCUSES! ..not to do anything...

(We have a choice to keep our bodies heathly and strong...maybe a chance to live longer....or do nothing, and die a shorter life?)

Aloha , ( just till 147 years?) or when social securty expires? ....UM?

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was in the same "boat" as you when II started back. Everything does comback quickly. I can't really add much to what has been said other than loosen up your joints by rolling them around first before warming up and then once again at the end of a work out after stretching. I start with my knuckles and wrist and end with my ankles and toes.

Also, at first I was out to prove myself against guys who where 20-25 years my younger. This was real hit (literaly) to my motivation, now I accept that I wont be able to keep up with the youngs guys and girls and work at my own pace.

Good luck and welcome to MT.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To repeat what many others have said - stretch. Also, go through whatever you're doing in class on your non-class days; this will help increase your endurance, flexibility, and coordination - you don't have to go full-out, and probably shouldn't, at least to start, but it will help on the class days if you've done the same thing on non-class days.

Remember, people who wait to start a martial art until they're in shape, don't start! So you're already ahead of most people. Now, go thank your daughter for pushing you into this! :highfive:

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very good advice so far. I would only add that you seek out a good chiropractor. I've got mine trained in so well he immediately checks out areas that are specific to martial artists. Wrists, elbows, fingers, knees, hips, ankles. We tend to put a lot of strain on these areas and a good chiro can be a godsend for the martial artist over 40. I also have an acupuncturist that I see every once in a while.

Best Wishes,

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My collegues have said it well. Stretch, rest, Tiger Balm or some such thing. Enjoy! Welcome to MT & back into MA!

OP
L

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice.
I guess I am still finding it hard to believe how far I have let myself go.

And I know that I push myself to hard. Comes from being in sports and the military I think. (If your not puking or passing out, your not trying hard enough).

Got to get it through my head that I am not a young buck anymore. (being about 30 pounds over weight isn't helping either, but I am working on that)

So stretch, limber up, stretch some more, and when I am tired of that... stretch again. :)

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Excellent advice by all.

Good for you starting up again. Your daughter will always remember and appreciate the time you train together when she gets older.

:cheers:

-Marc-

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Rewards will come...when looking back to when you first decided to start again......and you do your excercises and work-outs...train as hard as you can.....

two months from now..you will see and feel the difference....in six month...a bigger gain....a year from now...looking back....REWARDING!

It will always be the looking back...in time...YOU WILL SEE THE GAINS or losses if you did nothing?

Old, fat,& out of shape......You will still be "OLD" , not as fat, IN BETTER SHAPE!

Eating the right foods will give you more improvements....oysters?

Aloha

OP
L

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Rewards will come...when looking back to when you first decided to start again......and you do your excercises and work-outs...train as hard as you can.....

two months from now..you will see and feel the difference....in six month...a bigger gain....a year from now...looking back....REWARDING!

It will always be the looking back...in time...YOU WILL SEE THE GAINS or losses if you did nothing?

Old, fat,& out of shape......You will still be "OLD" , not as fat, IN BETTER SHAPE!

Eating the right foods will give you more improvements....oysters?

Aloha

Yep,
I know it will be a long road to getting back in shape. As with most older men (at least in my case). I was really active and played a ton of sports growing up (until my mid 20's).

Sadly Those eating habits tend to stick with you. SO when I moved and have now worked a desk job for 20 years. Well.. you know whats happened.

I really got slapped in the face when I went to the doctor and realized just how fat I had gotten. I guess since it comes on gradual. a few pounds a year you just don't seem to notice. But When I saw that number (65 pounds over weight). I was in total shock.

I have already changed my diet, Eating nothing but whole grains, nothing processed, and lean meats for protein.

Dropped about 30 pounds already, but still have about 30 to go. I am a stocky guy, so there is no way I will reach "ideal weight". You find ofr heights and ages. But If I can drop at least 20 more I would be really happy.

My two biggest obsticals now are working to limber up my legs after 20 years of sitting on my butt. And Cardio for the same reason.

Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Mr Lorak....loss 30lbs , excellant job! It is funny when you hear the younger guys talk about how there bodies feel old and hurting....

When they get to our age "fifties and up" ....then they will really know what "OLD" is.....and it is a daily thing for us too!

True if we excercise everyday at this age? ...it really helps!

Enjoy the "NEW YOU" ....Aloha (the sunsets never ever grow old )

Latest Discussions