OJ gets 15+

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
A guy who goes into a room with a small posse carrying a gun to get his suits back is a threat to public safety.

Also, this sports memorabilia racket is a little disgusting. I was reading about this when the robbery story broke. Simpson's memorability went back up in value in the years after he was found not-guilty of murder, and then subsequently attempted to market a book and a television special on the subject. It's not just jerseys and football shoes. People are spending money to collect his clothes and personal items.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A guy who goes into a room with a small posse carrying a gun to get his suits back is a threat to public safety.

Also, this sports memorabilia racket is a little disgusting. I was reading about this when the robbery story broke. Simpson's memorability went back up in value in the years after he was found not-guilty of murder, and then subsequently attempted to market a book and a television special on the subject. It's not just jerseys and football shoes. People are spending money to collect his clothes and personal items.
Yeah that is an oddity of the human race... to have this need to have a piece of whatever/whomever at whatever it costs.. sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars... Betcha if they ever found and verified beyond a shadow of a doubt Jack the Ripper's shirt button with a drop of one of his victim's blood on it, it'd go for a cool million PLUS! :rolleyes: (stupid!)

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
OJ, while certainly guilty of these crimes was really, IMHO, convicted less because of the evidence and more because everyone knows he got away with killing Nicole and Ron Brown.

I don't think so...... it seems these idiots left all sorts of extensive evidence behind, including recordings. If I recall correctly, some guys turned state's evidence. There was no way to put the cops on trial this time.

Poor OJ, seems he forgot how to commit a felony properly...... and now that he's in jail, what will happen to his fabled investigation into who really killed his wife?

What a great moment for Fred Goldman, though. Victims' families could learn a lot from him.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a kid I admired pro athletes like Julius Irving, Bob Grese, Mean Joe Green, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Hank Aaron, Fran Tarkenton, and yea even unto OJ himself ... but now... these new guys... getting into dog fighting, shooting themselves, raping women, and on and on... gone are the heroes.
I never did admire athletes...they seem like (what is the plural of dufus?) dufi or dufuses. Sadly, the older I get the fewer heros I have...they all turn out to be "just people."

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never did admire athletes...they seem like (what is the plural of dufus?) dufi or dufuses. Sadly, the older I get the fewer heros I have...they all turn out to be "just people."
Yah true... same here... but as KIDS... lots of them DO admire the pros... or at least they did when I was a kid some 35-40 sumpthin years ago... kids still admire them... why else are sports trading cards still popular? But as you do get older you get more wiser and come to the realization that these are just guys... WELL PAID guys but no more a guy than you.

"There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh."
--from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan
Same deal with childhood heroes. :idunno:

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score

There's nothing wrong with admiring a specific athlete for his or her unique contributions to their sport or the world. I think the problem is starting with the assumption that a professional athlete is automatically going to behave as a role model for youngsters.

Same goes for entertainers.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with admiring a specific athlete for his or her unique contributions to their sport or the world. I think the problem is starting with the assumption that a professional athlete is automatically going to behave as a role model for youngsters.

Same goes for entertainers.

quite right, they have no obligation to act as role models, although some of them do their best to live up to that, Wayne Gretzky is one example, Muhammad Ali ,...

Most though are like the spectacularly shallow Beckham.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so...... it seems these idiots left all sorts of extensive evidence behind, including recordings. If I recall correctly, some guys turned state's evidence. There was no way to put the cops on trial this time.

Poor OJ, seems he forgot how to commit a felony properly...... and now that he's in jail, what will happen to his fabled investigation into who really killed his wife?

What a great moment for Fred Goldman, though. Victims' families could learn a lot from him.
Y'know, I see maybe 3 or 4 things happening over the next few months:
1. OJ loses it in jail, and either openly confesses (double jeopardy protects him), or just plain goes nuts...
2. OJ pisses someone off -- and gets taken out of the picture. (Let's ignore the related possiblity of someone being paid off to do it...) Let's be honest; he's not going to play nice with the prison gangs -- and I can see Aryan Brotherhood among others making him a special project, just on principles.
3. A confession "magically" comes out from someone in the same prison that OJ's at... with damn good odds that a very careful forensic financial analysis will sow a sudden increase in in the fortunes of someone tied to that person...
4. A cell mate or someone else in the prison comes forward with OJ's confession from talking in his sleep or something...

Maybe I'm just cynical...

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Y'know, I see maybe 3 or 4 things happening over the next few months:
1. OJ loses it in jail, and either openly confesses (double jeopardy protects him), or just plain goes nuts...
2. OJ pisses someone off -- and gets taken out of the picture. (Let's ignore the related possiblity of someone being paid off to do it...) Let's be honest; he's not going to play nice with the prison gangs -- and I can see Aryan Brotherhood among others making him a special project, just on principles.
3. A confession "magically" comes out from someone in the same prison that OJ's at... with damn good odds that a very careful forensic financial analysis will sow a sudden increase in in the fortunes of someone tied to that person...
4. A cell mate or someone else in the prison comes forward with OJ's confession from talking in his sleep or something...

Maybe I'm just cynical...

We'll see what happens on appeal. OJ is his own worst enemy -- I read somewhere yesterday that he had rejected a plea bargain, and that his counter offer included some sort of apology from the state. When he heard the sentence, he looked visibly miffed and resentful. His murder charge was a career case for his lawyers; this ain't.

I'm sure he'll be kept safe in prison. Who knows? Maybe Barbara Walters will interview him in a couple of years.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see what happens on appeal. OJ is his own worst enemy -- I read somewhere yesterday that he had rejected a plea bargain, and that his counter offer included some sort of apology from the state. When he heard the sentence, he looked visibly miffed and resentful. His murder charge was a career case for his lawyers; this ain't.

I'm sure he'll be kept safe in prison. Who knows? Maybe Barbara Walters will interview him in a couple of years.

I thought that too, he looked as if he was thinking, how could they do this to HIM!
The best thing that could happen is if he's forgotten about, for people like him that is death really. Alone and forgotten that would be a small measure of justice.

Latest Discussions