Reaction score

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How to bring air travel in the US to a grinding, multi-billion dollar halts.

Suicide bomber at the check in line at 3-4 of the major airports on the day before Thanksgiving or Christmas.

There is absolutely nothing currently in place at any US airport that will stop it.

Bruce Schneier's explained numerous ways that the TSA is a joke.
December 4, 2013
Evading Airport Security

The news is reporting about Evan Booth, who builds weaponry out of items you can buy after airport security. It's clever stuff.
It's not new, though. People have been explaining how to evade airport security for years.
Back in 2006, I -- and others -- explained how to print your own boarding pass and evade the photo-ID check, a trick that still seems to work. In 2008, I demonstrated carrying two large bottles of liquid through airport security. Here's a paper about stabbing people with stuff you can take through airport security. And here's a German video of someone building a bomb out of components he snuck through a full-body scanner. There's lots more if you start poking around the Internet.
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/12/evading_airport.html

But here's more on Security Theater, TSA Style.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, here's a boarding pass that will get you past the TSA pass checker.
http://boingboing.net/filesroot/Picture 6-5.jpg

You'll need to change the name to one you have an photo ID for. If you need a fake drivers license, those are pretty easy to get. Illegals in So-Cal get them on the street for $50. All the TSA Robot does is match the names, and the photo to your face. It would be much more secure if the TSA could do what the guy at the local sports stadium can do, which is -scan- your ticket to ensure it's valid. But hey, lets spend billions of dollars on crappy cancer causing naked scanners to make a lobbyist rich but not spend a dime on actual proven tech that works.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing to stop a suicide bomber in an airport period Bob. At some point there will be a line to enter which will bunch people up making a target. Man the Airport with Swat officers or Navy seals they can't stop it.
Despite well-publicized airport security measures, U.S. travelers attempted to bring more than 1,500 guns on board planes in 2012 — resulting in the most annual confiscations on record, according to a Transportation Security Administration report.

The year’s final tally, made on Dec. 28 and released last week, put the total number of confiscated firearms for the year at 1,527, although the TSA still hasn’t released official figures on its blog for the final few days of 2012. It’s still a significant increase over 2011, when more than 1,300 guns were seized by the agency.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. 1,500 guns found in a year. That's a lot of guns.

Wait. The TSA has a proven 70% failure rate. (According to the governments own published numbers)

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7848683
Experts say every year since the September 11 attacks, federal agencies have conducted random, covert tests of airport security. A person briefed on the latest tests tells ABC News the failure rate approaches 70 percent at some major airports. Two weeks ago, TSA's new director said every test gun, bomb part or knife got past screeners at some airports.

So, that would suggest that they missed what? 5,000+ guns?

But how many people could be flying each year?

525,000,000+

hmmm.

So if 5000/525000000 is reason to let pedophiles rub n tug little Jimmy's Johnson, does that mean that 2 school shootings justifies mandating 250,000,000 firearms be fitted with trigger locks?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny trivia fact.

If you have a US Passport card, it's not considered valid ID to fly.

The US Passport card, which contains an RFID chip, which has my photo on it, which I had to provide my NYS drivers license and original birth certificate.
This US Passport card, that the US Government states "Laser engraving and state-of-the-art security features minimize the possibility of counterfeiting and forgery. The card is issued with a protective sleeve that prevents the card from being read when not in use. We have taken every care to ensure that the passport card is as secure as current technology permits."

is NOT considered acceptable proof of ID at the airport.

But my NYS drivers licence, which like almost every states, is easily counterfeited, is.

While a Real Cop can run my licence and check me out, the TSA screener is less qualified than a bar door checker, and matches names and faces only.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow. 1,500 guns found in a year. That's a lot of guns.

Wait. The TSA has a proven 70% failure rate. (According to the governments own published numbers)

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7848683

So, that would suggest that they missed what? 5,000+ guns?

But how many people could be flying each year?

525,000,000+

hmmm.

So if 5000/525000000 is reason to let pedophiles rub n tug little Jimmy's Johnson, does that mean that 2 school shootings justifies mandating 250,000,000 firearms be fitted with trigger locks?

That's a BS figure. Where is the real data? It's easy to say oh its approaching 70% with no test data to back it up. What's even funnier you blast them for missing 70% then in same post want them to be smart enough to do the lookem in the eye test to see who to search.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, here the TSA's own Bagdad Bob explains the 70% rate, claiming it was "outdated".
http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/12/70-detection-failure-rate-being.html
But doesn't ever give a current failure rate.

However,
There's definitely some confusion here. The ABC News report Gulliver linked to last month didn't rely on 2004, 2005, or 2006 numbers—it referenced "a person briefed" on "the latest tests" who said they have a failure rate of 70%. And earlier in December, TSA administrator John Pistole told the press that some airports let every test gun, knife, and bomb part through.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2011/01/tsa_threat_detection

When pushed for the data, the TSA's official Mouth of Sauron, "Bob" says it's classified.

But I think the head of the TSA saying some airports are as secure as a wet paper bag counts.

I did find this list of their screw ups from March 2013
http://tsascandals.wordpress.com/2013/03/30/tsa-security-failures-negligence/

Then there's this, from The Department of Homeland Security's inspector general:
TSA's program, Screening of Passengers by Observation Techniques (SPOT), which now has 2,800 workers, began in 2007 and has so far cost $878 million. The program's goal is to spot potential terrorists through behavioral clues, but it has been criticized for possible racial profiling.
The Department of Homeland Security's inspector general said in a 41-page report released Wednesday that the TSA doesn't effectively assess the program or have a comprehensive training program.

"As a result, TSA cannot ensure that passengers at United States airports are screened objectively, show that the program is cost-effective or reasonably justify the program's expansion," according to the report from Anne Richards, assistant inspector general for audits.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2013/06/05/tsa-behavior-screening/2392255/

What's even funnier you blast them for missing 70% then in same post want them to be smart enough to do the lookem in the eye test to see who to search.
What I'd really like is for every last one of them to get canned and do jobs they are qualified to do.
Sweep floors, dig ditches, pick up trash. I wouldn't trust them with anything challenging. You know, like working fast food.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I'd really like is for every last one of them to get canned and do jobs they are qualified to do.
Sweep floors, dig ditches, pick up trash. I wouldn't trust them with anything challenging. You know, like working fast food.
Lol yeah OK they all rate to work fast food. Or maybe photography I bet that's not hard cameras pretty much do it for them now anyway.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lol yeah OK they all rate to work fast food. Or maybe photography I bet that's not hard cameras pretty much do it for them now anyway.

No, I said that fast food would be too hard for them. Now photography, yup. Any fool can do that. Put camera on P mode (you know, for perfeshunal) point at the boobies, and now here's the hard part, push the button. So many people forget that last part and just look at the boobies. LOL

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I said that fast food would be too hard for them. Now photography, yup. Any fool can do that. Put camera on P mode (you know, for perfeshunal) point at the boobies, and now here's the hard part, push the button. So many people forget that last part and just look at the boobies. LOL

Huh sorry I stopped reading a boobies