NY Gov Paterson considering signing bill to lift licensing on MA instructors

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wasn't aware they were required to have a license now.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was going to start a thread on this amazing event, based on a Monday article in the Albany Times Union.... but then I thought better of it.

There is no licensing requirement in New York... but an unelected apparatchik in the State Education Department thought there should be. So this creature began sending letters to Yoga instructors - ordering them to cease training teachers and warning of potential $50,000 fines!

Of course, this (ir)rationale could have been applied to Tai Chi, karate, music, painting.....

Senator Eric Schneiderman aptly said of the scheme," It was a solution looking for a problem."

Now, this being the Peoples Republic of New York, one would have expected that a huge regulatory apparatus, overstaffed with political appointees, would have been erected to license, register, regulate, tax, inspect and in all other ways harass dangerous Yoga, Tai Chi, karate and other teachers..... all for the children, of course.

But a funny thing was about to happen....

The state legislature passed a measure exempting all these teachers from state licensing..... this wouldn't be news in many other states.... but here???

That is until Bill Mattocks, assisted by Bob, had to let the cat out of the bag and put up this thread.

NOW what's gonna happen? They will blink, shake their heads, wonder at what they were about to do - - - and step away from it. Guys. next time, wait until the law is actually signed!!!! We coulda been free....

The only good news is that maybe I can become the first Secretary of Regulating and Ruining Yoga ( a/k/a SORRY).... I got some calls to make...bye...

Latest Discussions