Now salt is good for you...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/07/11/cdc-oops-salt-is-not-actually-dangerous-and-cutting-it-may-be-harmful/

Lucan told The Post the city’s salt war is “misguided” – and potentially dangerous.

“We can’t just swallow this as fact – there’s actually debate about this.
“My concern is that they’re focusing on a single ingredient that the food industry is going to have to replace with something – and what they *replace it with might be more damaging,” he added.
Higher sodium intake has been shown in some studies to increase blood pressure, which is a major risk factor for heart attacks and strokes.
But that’s only part of the story, Lucan said.

“There is a relationship between sodium and blood pressure, but it’s not consistent. And even when it’s present, it isn’t clinically very substantial,” he said.
For some high-risk heart patients, some studies show, a low-salt diet “actually leads to worse cardiovascular disease and early death,” Lucan said.
Lowering salt, Lucan notes in his article, “may also decrease insulin sensitivity, alter lipids, and stimulate a variety of neurohormonal pathways detrimental to the cardiovascular system.”

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me in the least if this turns out to have a solid grounding. The food science 'pressure group block' has shot itself in the foot so many times that people have finally had enough. You can only be 'ordered about' and browbeaten so often by a information source that consistently proves itself unreliable before you stop listening to it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The body needs some salt. But the health issue isn't the salt intake, IMO. That's a by product of eating too much processed food, either pre-packaged at the grocery store or in restaurants. If people ate better food, the salt would take care of itself.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For most people (emphasis, most) if they drink a bit more water, and eat a little more potassium rich foods (like an extra glass of OJ, or a banana), their salt intake wouldn't be a big deal.
I cook pasta in salted water, I brine pork and chicken, I marinate, and August to September I burn through a couple shakers worth of salt.
I also drink a lot of OJ, gallons of tea, drink keffir, eat yogurt and enjoy smoothies with banana in them.

Most people don't have balance between sodium and potassium. There in is the issue. Read up on the idea of balancing your ratio.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/11/potassium-salt-diet-dangers_n_895124.html
Google it too. I got the idea from watching Good Eats with Alton Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
While it's not my specialty, I believe they are finding that salt tolerance varies and while most people manage to dispose of excess Sodiium (NaCl table salt) some do not and are more prone to things like hypertension. I am less convinced the average individual has much problem with it. This does not include individuals who have developed problems, particularly renal and cardiac who then have a greater problem with salt metabolism.
As always, moderation, not guilt.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that it can tend to be down to the individual, for example, both my mother and ex have very low blood pressure and they both add salt to absolutely everything before they have even tasted the food. Supposedly salt can raise your blood pressure quite significantly so I have always wondered how low their blood pressure would be if they didn't add the additional salt. Plus, could it be that both their bodies are insisting on making them add the salt as it is something they both need to keep their blood pressure a bit closer to where it should be?

All this could be nonsense, but it has always fascinated me.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My point exactly. Unless your doctor says to watch the salt, enjoy. But be reasonable.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
One other thing to consider is that citizens don't sponsor studies such as those compared. Neither do universities; they conduct them. Doing studies brings money and prestige to universities. If Morton manufacturers ask for a study to determine if salt has detrimental effects, a university that wants more grants for studies from manufacturers will know how to provide an answer that still gives them some respectability. Same with coffee. There have been a lot of studies lately about how coffee is good for just about everything. Must be better than ginseng. I wonder how that happens? :rolleyes:

Not to say that all studies are flawed, but you need to keep perspective, and know who supported any given study.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's also the spin of the media. Arnisador (who is a college professor in real life) posted an amusing comic that pokes fun at how study results change as they go from laboratory conclusion to mainstream dissemination -- essentially going from "Study finds A may correlate with C" to "Study proves A always causes C and if it doesn't, you will die!" or something like that.

Now as far as coffee vs. ginseng is concerned....a Muay Thai buddy of mine posterized my Facebook status from the other day ;)

View attachment $1002765_10151569093781225_699203306_n.jpg

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's also the spin of the media. Arnisador (who is a college professor in real life) posted an amusing comic that pokes fun at how study results change as they go from laboratory conclusion to mainstream dissemination -- essentially going from "Study finds A may correlate with C" to "Study proves A always causes C and if it doesn't, you will die!" or something like that.

Now as far as coffee vs. ginseng is concerned....a Muay Thai buddy of mine posterized my Facebook status from the other day ;)

View attachment 18174

Pretty much how I feel. However, my cardiologist told me some years ago that I had to give up coffee. Since I like Vietnamese coffee as much as I do, I told him I could give up drinking as much as I used to, but I would have one cup per day to start my morning. Best I could do considering the options he gave me.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One other thing to consider is that citizens don't sponsor studies such as those compared. Neither do universities; they conduct them. Doing studies brings money and prestige to universities. If Morton manufacturers ask for a study to determine if salt has detrimental effects, a university that wants more grants for studies from manufacturers will know how to provide an answer that still gives them some respectability. Same with coffee. There have been a lot of studies lately about how coffee is good for just about everything. Must be better than ginseng. I wonder how that happens? :rolleyes:

Not to say that all studies are flawed, but you need to keep perspective, and know who supported any given study.
I'd trust a Starbuck Study. If Dr. Fogers says coffee is good, you cant take it to the bank. In fact, they give you more at the bank! It's complimentary! :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd trust a Starbuck Study. If Dr. Fogers says coffee is good, you cant take it to the bank. In fact, they give you more at the bank! It's complimentary! :)

Was that all sarcasm? Starbucks primarily sells coffee. They are not likely to attack their bread and butter product.

Latest Discussions