GM CEO, your overlords at work

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, having the government taking a hands on approach to business is the best thing in the world. Here is an article that proves it...

http://biggovernment.com/smotley/2011/08/04/bailed-out-gm-ceo-akerson-the-taxpayers-worst-nightmare/

f
rom the article:

Behold General Motors (GM) CEO Dan Akerson – a man who obviously doesn’t adhere to this philosophy.
As we said back in March, Akerson is a foundational part of the Washington, D.C.-Wall Street crony capitalism nexus.
Akerson is not – and never has been – a car guy. He himself said so. What is he? He is a DC-connected, Wall Street hedge fund big coin guy.
Akerson’s immediately preceding gig was Managing Director and head of Global Buyout for the incredibly inside-the-Beltway-connected Carlyle Group.
This hip-joined relationship with the federal Leviathan means Akerson’s a cardboard cutout for the real CEO of Government Motors – U.S. Treasury Secretary (and yet another fellow DC-Wall Streeter) Tim Geithner.
And from all we have since seen, Akerson is one giant toe on the Huge Government, Obama Administration line.
We have for the last several weeks witnessed the federal government engage in a debt ceiling debate. The warped focus throughout has been “How will this affect Wall Street?”
Almost never has it been “How will this affect taxpayers?”
In the end, We the People are being force fed a deal that pleases Wall Street – and leaves the taxpayers on the hook for another $10 trillion.
Government Motors – under Akerson – is similarly situated. The absolute last thing about which they seem to care is We the People. We stand to lose between $11 and $13 billion on our generous – conscripted – GM bailout.
And we get the distinct impression that Akerson couldn’t care less.
”We are in the midst of transforming an iconic American company so 20 and 30 years from now (taxpayers) will look at this company and they’ll say, ‘Absolutely it was the right thing to do,’ ” Akerson said. ”And it shouldn’t be measured on did it sell for $43 or $53 (a share) or did they lose a couple billion dollars?”
Can’t you just feel the compassion for us Little Guys? How about now?
“You know what I’d rather have them do – this will make my Republican friends puke – …we ought to just slap a 50-cent or a dollar tax on a gallon of gas.”
Bask in the warmth.
Akerson in part wants this huge gas tax hike to herd us sheep into his expensive, unprofitable hybrid Chevy Volts – in which we have thus far shown very little interest.
Here’s some more of Akerson’s glow:
“I think you need to cut the hell out of the budget and you’ve got to increase taxes…on everybody.”
That’s all of us – the people who bailed out his failing company to allow him to now make such fabulous pronouncements.
In all of this does Akerson sound just like any other lackey for the Obama Administration. Which of course he is.
“I can’t go on (television). I’m toxic. I’m like a lightning rod. I couldn’t have an intelligent discussion without someone saying, ‘He’s a welfare guy from the bailout.’“

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, having the government taking a hands on approach to business is the best thing in the world. Here is an article that proves it...

It doesn't 'prove' anything except that some people can't read the articles it links to as sources...

GM CEO not 'a car guy'. And Alan Mulally (Ford CEO, and not a government bailout recipient) is? Please.

GM CEO an 'inside the beltway guy'. And Alan Mulally (former CEO of Boeing) isn't? Please.

Taxpayers stand to lose a potential 11 to 13 billion on the bailout - true.
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2011/06/how-much-did-the-auto-bailout-cost-taxpayers-.html

The Treasury Department announced Thursday that it sold its stake in Chrysler, which is owned by Italian automaker Fiat, resulting in a $1.3 billion loss.

“As Treasury exits its investment in Chrysler, it’s clear that President Obama’s decision to stand behind and restructure this company was the right one,” Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner said, citing the company’s rebound.

The government has yet to recoup roughly $27 billion from GM, although it holds 500 million shares in the company’s stock. The value of that stock when the government sells it will determine just how much taxpayers stand to lose.

At its current price, the stock is work roughly $15 billion, meaning a potential $12 billion loss. But don’t expect the price to jump anytime soon, experts say, despite the new profitability of the business.

It's actually the only part of the article that is not wrong, but it has little to do with the GM CEO; more an indictment of the auto industry bailout itself, which hardly happened on the current GM CEO's watch.

GM CEO wants a gas tax hike of 50 cents to a dollar per gallon. True, but completely taken out of context. Anyone who actually, you know, bothered to click on the link and read the article (oh, those critical reading skills again) would have seen this:

http://detnews.com/article/20110607/AUTO01/106070368/GM-s-Akerson-pushing-for-higher-gas-taxes

And while he is eager to say goodbye to the government as a part owner of GM, Akerson would like to see it step up to the challenge of setting a higher gas tax, as part of a comprehensive energy policy.

A government-imposed tax hike, Akerson believes, will prompt more people to buy small cars and do more good for the environment than forcing automakers to comply with higher gas-mileage standards.

"There ought to be a discussion on the cost versus the benefits," he said. "What we are going to do is tax production here, and that will cost us jobs."

For the years 2017-25, federal officials are considering 3 percent to 6 percent annual fuel efficiency increases, or 47 mpg to 62 mpg. That could boost the cost of vehicles by up to $3,500.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110607...on-pushing-for-higher-gas-taxes#ixzz1U4pvpVAb

In other words, given the choice between the government mandating higher fuel economy standards, which he believes would drive up the cost of cars and thus cost jobs since they'd sell fewer of them, and a gas tax hike, he'd rather see the gas tax hike. That's like asking someone if they'd rather be shot or hanged, and he says of the two, he'd prefer to be shot. Then we'll run off and publish a headline that says "He says he wants to be shot!" The author of the article is obviously hoping their readership are incapable of thinking.

Chevy Volt a big loser:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110801/BLOG40/110801051/GM-says-Chevy-Volt-virtually-sold-out-

General Motors will only report about 100 Chevrolet Volt sales when July’s U.S. auto sales come out Tuesday, but the extended-range electric car is “virtually sold out” of the outgoing 2011 model year, spokeswoman Michelle Bunker said today.

Of the 4,488 2011 Volts GM has built at Detroit-Hamtramck, about 100 remain unclaimed, she said. The rest are reserved for dealer demos of the Volt’s battery and backup generator or internal GM uses such as engineering tests or marketing.

Funny thing is - the conservative blogs are screaming that the Volt's sales are falling. Uh, yeah. 'Cause they sold them all. Wow. Simple math skills. Yep, cookies are not popular at my house (because I ate them all) so you can't find even one in the cookie jar. Same logic. Please.

On a personal note, I don't want a Chevy Volt, and I don't care if it sells big or not. But when they sell all they made, then the fact that sales 'drop' when they don't have any more to sell is not just wrong, but intentionally wrong.

This whole article is nothing but a hit piece.

And it's sad and desperate.

And tedious.

And banal.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This whole article is nothing but a hit piece.

And it's sad and desperate.

And tedious.

And banal

Yeah, you're right. Guess it got under my skin. I get tired of these endless, tedious, wastes of everyone's time whilst one person indulges his hate fetish. My bad.
:asian:

Q(and bolded and loudened and everything)FT-with extra emphatic emphasis....:lfao:....especially for "banal"....billibanal.I like the sound of that......:lfao:

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sidelines need educated.

Also important to note:

GM reported second quarter profits of $2.52bn compared with $1.3bn in the same quarter a year earlier, with revenues up 19% to $39.4bn. Who knows? If they manage to sustain a profit, maybe they'll start... putting Americans to work!

Indeed, I hope that's the case, and would therefore make the government investment worth it, as I posted here. I'm not a fan of the too-big-to-fail rationale, but can see it being sound where there's a plan involved and not just shoveling money down a dying giant's throat. But I do not know the success rate, currently, of GM-Chrysler.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I would classify them as good-but-not-stellar. GM was well poised to take advantage of the one-two-three beating that Toyota took over recalls, earthquake, and Fukushima power problems, but the fact that the American market is, in general, soft because the middle class is rapidly becoming poor hurts them quite a bit. So does the recent Cruze recall.

GM has now posted 15 months of profits, Ford 24. Chrysler is profitable for the first time since Togg and Ug discovered that fire burned. If they remain so, and they can, if they deliver product that is superior to the competition, then we might see some relief - GM and Ford aren't important companies so much for their own product, but for the sheer cascading effect that producing that effect has on the economy.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chrysler is pushing it's cars over here, are they any good? One of them is a funny looking car, only seen a couple. Quite like the sporty thing, hang on while I look up the names....

Sports car thingy is the Crossfire and the funny looking one is the PT Cruiser. Are these 'American' cars or are they made for the European market only?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw, I fancy that as an adjective, and not a n oun or/nickname, as in:That post was so billibanal :rolleyes:

Now that is the dog's bollocks!!! ( a term of great approval here)

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Chrysler is pushing it's cars over here, are they any good? One of them is a funny looking car, only seen a couple. Quite like the sporty thing, hang on while I look up the names....

Sports car thingy is the Crossfire and the funny looking one is the PT Cruiser. Are these 'American' cars or are they made for the European market only?

They're sold in the North American market. My fiancee had a Cruiser a few days while her Chevy was in the shop, and didn't hate it. I've never, personally, had a positive experience with a Chrysler product under any marque, but I'm biased. :ultracool

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They're sold in the North American market. My fiancee had a Cruiser a few days while her Chevy was in the shop, and didn't hate it. I've never, personally, had a positive experience with a Chrysler product under any marque, but I'm biased. :ultracool

I've had two 1969 Dodge Chargers. One with the 440, one with a 318. Loved them both. I learned to drive on a 1964 Plymouth Valiant station wagon with a slant-six and three-on-the-tree shifting at age 12 (hey, we lived in the cornfields of Illinois, nobody cared as long as you could see over the steering wheel). I like MOPAR.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You like 'em, you drive 'em. ... Still want to kneecap whoever designed the Grand Cherokee I had to drive home from college one term.

Latest Discussions