In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

- Colonel John McRae, died 1918

I am a history major and this day is one of my fave holidays.

Thank you for our freedom and everything you gave us, all veterans of war. :angel:

2qnpb1u.jpg

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On November 11, 1999 Terry Kelly was in a drug store in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. At 10:55 AM an announcement came over the stores PA asking customers who would still be on the premises at 11:00 AM to give two minutes of silence in respect to the veterans who have sacrificed so much for us.

Terry was impressed with the stores leadership role in adopting the Legions two minutes of silence initiative. He felt that the stores contribution of educating the public to the importance of remembering was commendable.

When eleven oclock arrived on that day, an announcement was again made asking for the two minutes of silence to commence. All customers, with the exception of a man who was accompanied by his young child, showed their respect.

Terrys anger towards the father for trying to engage the stores clerk in conversation and for setting a bad example for his child was channeled into a beautiful piece of work called, A Pittance of Time. Terry later recorded A Pittance of Time and included it on his full-length music CD, The Power of the Dream.

Thank You to the Royal Canadian Legion Todmorden Branch #10 and Woodbine Height Branch #2 for their participation in the Video.

Please visit www.terry-kelly.com

[yt]2kX_3y3u5Uo&NR=1[/yt]

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice Nov 11 Remembrance Day song 'Where have all the flowers gone?'

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't hate this until you've looked at it.
The end of blackadder is one of the most gripping scenes I've ever seen on television. It never fails to touch me.

[yt]dw0e8p0Tyo4[/yt]

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is another tear jerker. The lyrics are awesome.
It was inspired by the fact that christmas eve 1914, the Germans and allied soldiers celebrated christmas together in no man's land.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce
To this day I still think that the Christmas truce is the prime, kafka'esque, example of the absurdity of war.

[yt]McLtKxq3c6E[/yt]

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't hate this until you've looked at it.
The end of blackadder is one of the most gripping scenes I've ever seen on television. It never fails to touch me.

quote]

I remember that the first time it was on the television close to Remembrance Sunday, watched laughing as usual till the end, it was like a punch in the stomach, I wept. It was shocking, it still is.

Latest Discussions