Not really a beginner, but I guess this is still the right place to ask.

JRMFFL531

White Belt
Reaction score
"I can't just jump back in like I haven't spent decades behind a desk."
I don't think anyone is suggesting that this should be the case. What I'm seeing said repeatedly and it's a sentiment I agree with, just find a school you like and do "the thing" at the pace you can do it. Any good school should be able to adjust what they're doing to suit the needs for where you are at NOW... and readjust for where you at again later. We've had plenty of heavier students that had taken some time off and found their passion rekindled, like yourself, and found their way to the dojo. A year later they always look like completely different humans. Don't compare yourself to who you were... thats a losing argument for of us humans that age! lol. Work with who you are now and who you'd like to be later. Seriously you can do all that and it doesn't have to be a McDojo... just a school that cares for you and not some kind of inhumane meat grinder meant to remind you of who you aren't. Whichever route you take... I hope you find your path back!
Encouraging words. And very truthful.

mwebb

White Belt
Reaction score
I was originally trained by a 2 time national champion. I won a few smaller tournaments myself. But that was a long long time ago. But I've been watching Cobra Kai And Johhny inspired me to get my fat, middle-aged butt back into it. I used to be able to kick above my head, but now I can barely kick waist high without hurting myself. I also have nowhere near the stamina I used to.

So here's my question. If I get back into classes and try to get my second black belt in whatever, that's literally going to kill me at this point. Obviously I should start doing my stretches again, but what else can I do to try to get back into good enough shape for classes? I'm broke and can't afford both class and a gym, so it has to be stuff I can do at home. Can anyone recommend some exercises? Especially anything that helps endurance. I'm not going to go to some joke of a McDojo and I know I can't make it through class in my current condition.

Wish I could just 80's training montage this, but unfortunately I think I need actual advice at this point.
I would say to start slow with basic calisthenics...jumping Jack's, push-ups, crunches. Add your stretching after warming up a bit. Small steps done regularly will yield results.
Also, you should consider the fact that you're starting from scratch. Your previous experience may help you advance, but don't go into it thinking you're going to pick up where you left off. Any legitimate school will train you according to your current ability, and help you progress.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody notice the OP hasn’t been back since the day he joined? I wonder if he will read any of the excellent advice that has been offered. Perhaps he needs to show up again and demonstrate that he is still in the conversation.
I was wondering that. Last time he was even on the site was a few hours after his first post.

r.d.mcdaniel

White Belt
Reaction score
I last regularly practiced Karate when I was in my late 20's, I'm now 62 years old. I'm still in pretty good shape for an old guy, I lift weights, jog and stretch regularly. On my 60th birthday I did 22 pull ups without stopping. My weight is the same now as it was when I was in my 20's. I've never been "Bruce Lee" kind of limber, I could never even get close to doing the splits but I could easily kick a person my own height in the head with a roundhouse or side kick. These days I can't kick any higher than lower chest. I've worked on my stretching and kicked the bag trying to rebuild those muscles but it ain't happening.

OP
C

Cyberserker

White Belt
Reaction score
My point was more that you shouldn't delay going to train because you're out of shape, not that you shouldn't also get in shape outside. I still recommend you start training as soon as you can afford it, if that's your goal, but if you're looking to get into shape at home, there are a couple of things that I'd recommend.

1. Jump rope. Can be really good cardio, you can choose your own pace, and the number of reps, and compare those reps day by day easier than running. Also doesn't take a whole lot of space and you can do it in the comfort of your own backyard (or inside if you've got the ceiling for it, or park if you don't have a backyard).

2. For less endurance focus but general strength training, check out convict conditioning. There's a book with the exercises, I'm sure you could find a free pdf of it with very little digging, but as a moderator, I do not recommend that. It's useful for general strength training exercises, again has ways to measure your progress and body progression as you get stronger (also has options for those who are not in shape at all to start at stage 0), and gets most of the needed muscle groups.

3. Couch to 5k app. It's an app (available on android and iPhone) intended to get anyone from not exercising at all to be able to run a 5k within 9 weeks. Works for those that stick with it, barring medical issues they may have.

4. If you're a nerd like me, check out Workout Database. It provides workouts that would 'fit' specific superheroes. For instance, the blob is an x-men villain that is pretty fat but strong, like the original strongmen. His workout involves 4days per week of pretty much just strongman workouts: deadlifts, pushups, things like that, 2 rest days, and 1 "active" day doing a non-specific sporting activity, which is useful if you want to get strong, but not to just get in fighting-shape on its own. Meanwhile, the green arrow has a workout much more appropriate to martial arts, with calisthenics, endurance training, and muscle-building that gets all the main muscle groups. The only thing is that can be a tough workout for a beginner. They've also got diet options, but last I checked you've got to pay for that.

I've done a few of these because I get bored of workouts if they get too monotonous, and would recommend the captain America one if you've got the materials needed, and the echizen ryoma one if you don't. The echizen ryoma one is tennis based but does a pretty good job for other purposes as well.

5. If you've got a school or stadium you can go into free that has bleachers, running up and down stairs is an amazing way to build up cardio. If you don't, running up and down a hill (or doing things like a bear walk up the hill and sprinting down) is a good alternative. Then switch off between sprints and walking once you're done.

6. Lastly, look into HIIT. These are tougher workouts, involving a lot of intense aerobic activity followed by resting and repeating. These can be tough to stay motivated for, but are good at getting you in-shape while requiring less time during the day, and less days to improve your fitness level as well. Here's a link to a list of different-timed HIIT workouts I found, but unlike everything else on this list I have not tried this specific list so can't give you any recommendations.
I don't know how other classes go, but with master Phrumjontun class is going to continue with or without you because you're not the only student. I just really don't want to waste a bunch of money paying for a whole class and sitting out half of it. But you're the first one I've seen to give me the advice I actually asked for, so thanks a bunch. I'm looking up that app right now.

In regards to 5, back when I lived in Dallas you could pretty much do whatever you wanted on the college campus even if you weren't a student. I was bow hunting back then and I used to practice on the archery range all the time. I went jogging on the running track too. Nobody ever cared. I'm sure I can find some bleachers around here somewhere that nobody is going to mind me using. Thanks for the tip. <3 I'll definitely try that.

OP
C

Cyberserker

White Belt
Reaction score
I last regularly practiced Karate when I was in my late 20's, I'm now 62 years old. I'm still in pretty good shape for an old guy, I lift weights, jog and stretch regularly. On my 60th birthday I did 22 pull ups without stopping. My weight is the same now as it was when I was in my 20's. I've never been "Bruce Lee" kind of limber, I could never even get close to doing the splits but I could easily kick a person my own height in the head with a roundhouse or side kick. These days I can't kick any higher than lower chest. I've worked on my stretching and kicked the bag trying to rebuild those muscles but it ain't happening.
Well dude I'm 41 and I no longer exercise 10 hours a day. I'm a professional driver now and pretty much get paid to listen to audio books and music while sitting down. I'd bet money I can't do 10 pullups anymore, much less 22. In my 20's I was 185 lbs with a 6 pack, and I could do the splits between two chairs and actually go lower than my feet. Now I'm a 240lb fat guy with C-cups and if I kicked waist high I'd probably sprain something. So on the bright side you're doing better than a guy who's younger than you, if that makes you feel better. I didn't age well at all.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well dude I'm 41 and I no longer exercise 10 hours a day. I'm a professional driver now and pretty much get paid to listen to audio books and music while sitting down. I'd bet money I can't do 10 pullups anymore, much less 22. In my 20's I was 185 lbs with a 6 pack, and I could do the splits between two chairs and actually go lower than my feet. Now I'm a 240lb fat guy with C-cups and if I kicked waist high I'd probably sprain something. So on the bright side you're doing better than a guy who's younger than you, if that makes you feel better. I didn't age well at all.
To quote, "Age makes fools of us all."

In this case, it means that no one is getting any younger and it really doesn't matter if you feel like you haven't aged well. Just go join the class and get better.

Do it. You'll thank me later.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was originally trained by a 2 time national champion. I won a few smaller tournaments myself. But that was a long long time ago. But I've been watching Cobra Kai And Johhny inspired me to get my fat, middle-aged butt back into it. I used to be able to kick above my head, but now I can barely kick waist high without hurting myself. I also have nowhere near the stamina I used to.

So here's my question. If I get back into classes and try to get my second black belt in whatever, that's literally going to kill me at this point. Obviously I should start doing my stretches again, but what else can I do to try to get back into good enough shape for classes? I'm broke and can't afford both class and a gym, so it has to be stuff I can do at home. Can anyone recommend some exercises? Especially anything that helps endurance. I'm not going to go to some joke of a McDojo and I know I can't make it through class in my current condition.

Wish I could just 80's training montage this, but unfortunately I think I need actual advice at this point.
It honestly depends on your size. If you are past the range of obesity, any type of movement from walking to heavy exercise will help massively, and joining weight-loss programs or the gym at that stage would simply be a waste of money. I believe there was a woman out there who lost over a hundred pounds simply hopping on and off a platform at her gym (as well as her diet). When it comes to losing weight, we tend to overestimate just how much exercise actually helps - weight is managed in the kitchen, not the gym.

Furthermore, if you are at an older age and on the heavier side, I would recommend against exercise such as jogging and jumping to avoid putting stress on your joints. I heavily recommend swimming as it is lighter on the joints and burns around x1.5 as many calories as jogging does.

I have read some of Pavel Tsatsouline's books and incorporated many of his methods into my training routine. For your cardio, aside from swimming since you can't do that at home, kettlebell swings are a great exercise. His Simple and Sinister program would be perfect for you in my opinion, as it can be done in a short amount of time (30 minutes in the worst cases) and you can buy relatively heavy and adjustable kettlebells for a good price. The program will help to increase your cardio, but also your compound strength. It also helps you to focus on the types of breathing you come across in different martial arts. The program is as follows:

5 Sets of 10 Kettlebell Swings
5 Sets of 2 Turkish Get Ups (1 on each side)
I recommend you read his Simple and Sinister book as it goes much further into depth of the technique for these exercises as well as your goals for progression. You can also get some adjustable kettlebells for a cheap price too. Just fill up the bag to whichever weight you need. I hope this helps!

Kosho Shuri Kenpo

White Belt
Reaction score

Ok to begin with do 10 front leg raises each foot then 10 side raises each foot then 10 rear leg raises each foot without

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Walk, swim, ride your bicycle, stretch, go up and down stairs. Do workout videos on YouTube or TV. Watch “Dancing With Myself” on TV and dance along (It’s fun)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tore my calf muscle doing too much with a jump rope but then again, then again my jump rope is 2.7 pounds.
Back when I was 20 years younger and in much better shape, I repeatedly got badly strained calf muscles from jumping rope. I wasn’t even doing it to excess. I just had very tight calves.

Latest Discussions