Starting a MA non-profit corporation

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's been in back of my mind for years. After attending a leadership conference across the state, I'm reved up on the idea again. I have decided to put in my state application for a non-profit corporation. I'm part of a boy's mentorship program that holds regular camps throughout the year. In the annual business meeting they expressed the desire to continue, and to increase shooting sports at camp. Problem is, they seem to have a hard time securing qualified instructors and certified range officers as well as firearms and archery equipment. So I am going to start a non profit with some friends (all traditional martial artists).
We are going to focus on shooting sports and self defense. We will get training and certifications in range safety as well as instructors certification in firearms and archery. We hope to raise eventually enough funds to purchase 10- match grade 22 rifles, 10- match grade 22 pistols, 5- 20 gauge shotguns and an assortment of target equipment. We currently have access to the archery equipment
This isn't a fundraising pitch, I'm just wondering if anyone has done something like this. Really just looking for advice.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i am not sure i can help but for a few years i was president of a martial art not for profit organization. i didnt set it up, it existed before i joined but i was voted in as president. there are some good books out there for running a non profit business. i think one of the nice perks is that students tuition was tax deductable. dealing with property of the corporation if it fails can be a bit of a hassle. but it i liked it and would think about setting up my own at some point if the situation was right.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Check out Friends Of The NRA they provide funding and grants for shooting sports and firearm education.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Check out Friends Of The NRA they provide funding and grants for shooting sports and firearm education.
I met a man two years ago who started a similar program. He advised me to look into Friends Of The NRA. They will be one of many groups I inquire of, and likely one of the most beneficial. I really am exited to try and get this going! It's been a long time since I was this exited about somthing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer, and am passing along what I've picked up as a business consultant and the brief time I served on a non-profit board.

Setting up a non-profit will require some work, but is not impossible. One thing to note is that a non-profit corporation requires a board. The board has ultimate control over the course of the non-profit, so be sure you select people you trust to run it well (I'd assume you'll also be on the board). Make sure you talk with a lawyer about the specific requirements for maintaining non-profit status, as violating them can cause you to owe back taxes.

All that said, it's certainly not an insurmountable obstacle. I've met a couple of MA instructors whose programs ran under a 501(c)(3) corporation, and seemed to be thriving in that model.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer, and am passing along what I've picked up as a business consultant and the brief time I served on a non-profit board.

Setting up a non-profit will require some work, but is not impossible. One thing to note is that a non-profit corporation requires a board. The board has ultimate control over the course of the non-profit, so be sure you select people you trust to run it well (I'd assume you'll also be on the board). Make sure you talk with a lawyer about the specific requirements for maintaining non-profit status, as violating them can cause you to owe back taxes.

All that said, it's certainly not an insurmountable obstacle. I've met a couple of MA instructors whose programs ran under a 501(c)(3) corporation, and seemed to be thriving in that model.
I know a guy who ended up being voted off his own board, in a non profit he started.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who ended up being voted off his own board, in a non profit he started.
The board I was on, I would have done that (for mismanagement) had she not managed to illegally replace the board. It wasn’t worth the legal battle to fix.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you could put it in the by-laws that all founding members will maintain voting privileges for life.
I’ve never seen that. It might violate the requirements for 501(c)(3) status. Or it might not. Definitely a question for a lawyer.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ve never seen that. It might violate the requirements for 501(c)(3) status. Or it might not. Definitely a question for a lawyer.

I’m thinking as long as you elect the board members you might could still give voting privileges to the founders

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’m thinking as long as you elect the board members you might could still give voting privileges to the founders
I was in a local blackbelt club (by legal default, an unincorporated non profit) where all past presidents maintained voting privileges.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
But by not incorporating wouldn't that open him up to more personal liability?
It does, I'm not sure to what degree but I know there is a difference. As far as state recognition as a non profit, after briefly reading through state laws, I'm not sure if I can be unincorporated.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Beyond the scout camp type activities, I would really like to bring high quality defensive firearms training and self defense/ defensive awareness training into the picture. I'm going to construct a more clear enough draft of this endeavor then pitch it to two other individuals who I would like to include as incorporators / initial board members.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Throwing some names out there:
MFTC
Marksmanship and Firearm Training Corporation

MMFT
Mentoring Marksmanship and Firearms Training

MMDS
Mentoring Marksmanship and Defensive Skills
Something like that.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Throwing some names out there:
MFTC
Marksmanship and Firearm Training Corporation

MMFT
Mentoring Marksmanship and Firearms Training

MMDS
Mentoring Marksmanship and Defensive Skills
Something like that.

Honestly....Don’t like any of them. Need something easy for people to remember and is simpler.

Maybe something like:

The Precision Group

Last edited: