Should Firearm Training be a regular component of all Martial Arts Training?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay after looking at a few threads about tools, etc. I have a question to everyone. Do you think firearm training should be a core component of any martial tradition based upon the times that we currently live in? I look forward to hearing everyones responses whether you agree or disagree.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay after looking at a few threads about tools, etc. I have a question to everyone. Do you think firearm training should be a core component of any martial tradition based upon the times that we currently live in? I look forward to hearing everyones responses whether you agree or disagree.

You know, that is a good question. I am not sure it needs to be a core component, but certainly it should be covered a little bit. In principle a gun is much like a punch, tsuki, or a stab. It moves in a linear fashion, and is like having a super fast and long punch. Anything along that line gets it.

However, the unique qualities of the gun makes it fast to bring on point, very maneuverable, and has a super long reach. For this reason training with it is important. However, to me the principles involved in avoiding the gun is not all that different than avoiding a knife stab or a katana tsuki.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my teachers is an ex-Marine and Corrections officer, and also had some security experience. We train gun disarms as well as basic firearm safety.

If it were any other school, I would check on the qualifications of the teacher to be teaching gun techniques.

So yea, I think if that's what you want to train techniques for, go for it, but get under somebody with real experience.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, because most schools have adults typically working out in the same class as middle-school-age children.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If you are serious about teaching self-defense in the modern world and aren't studying for cultural, spiritual growth, etc. Then yes, I think firearms should be covered. Most instructors aren't qualfied, thats fine, then farm out the requirement to a firearms instructor that you trust. Require completion of Basic Pistol 101 for that brown belt, Defensive Pistol 2 for black etc.

The gun is the single biggest equalizer in human history, 5 years of unarmed training is not going to make my 63 year old, 4'10" (and shrinking) mom the equal of your average pissed off 20 year old male. On the other hand shes been using firearms since she was 26, and I'd rather her meet something that goes bump in the night with her Mossberg. Humans own the world because we make the best tools, ignoring those tools is foolish.

Lamont

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No, because most schools have adults typically working out in the same class as middle-school-age children.

I don't see that as a reason to not teach something. If they need to break it out ionto another class, the do that. But to do away with it because you teach kids is not a good idea.

On a side note, most schools in the US that each kids under 14 aren't teaching martial traditions anyways.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes...I have seen instructors teach defensive techniques that will seriously hurt the defender....From simple things such as: once the pistol has been disarmed and the MA is now in control of the weapon....Has both hands grabbing the AUTOMATIC with the thumbs wrapped around both each side of the grip....Now...what is wrong with that?????
The next one I remember was his technical to lean against this same automatic...because if the slide is depressed it can't fire..........
This was a very qualified MA but not to keen on his knowledge of firearms.....

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't see that as a reason to not teach something. If they need to break it out ionto another class, the do that. But to do away with it because you teach kids is not a good idea.

On a side note, most schools in the US that each kids under 14 aren't teaching martial traditions anyways.
Great point!!!!!!!!!

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes... As with all things there is a time and place for everything. It is a requirement for all my black belts to complete a firearms safety course and show proof via certificate of some sort. I will only wave it if they are military for obvious reasons. Fortunately we have prior military, active military, a couple spec ops guys and active LEO's in our schools already (lots of good resources).

I agree that this subject must be taught by professionals with real experience. If there is not someone in your school to teach it, then bring someone in for that subject area from time to time or have a field trip to the local shooting range.

I believe it is important for all ages - if nothing less than to teach firearm safety and awareness.

Good topic...:ultracool

I also share Emergency First Aid skills (basic stuff to GSW's, etc.)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No -- I don't think firearms should be an automatic component of any martial tradition's training. But that doesn't mean they don't belong, either. It all depends on what and why you're training.

Some very basic firearms safety (Treat all firearms as loaded; what to do if you find/come across one, especially for kids, fore example) is a good idea, but again, isn't a necessary part of the program.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian in a perfect world yes but in the society we live in today, I believe it is upo to the instructor to make sure the are teaching the right type of people before training them. Also one must be well aware of all the laws that govern a firearm before starting any training with them.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess if a martial arts dojo is going to teach gun and knife defense someone should know what to do with that weapon once it is laying on the ground. It would not be good if the only one that did know how to use it was the person that you took it away from.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're training for general self-defense, and of course for military or LEO, then yes.

If you're training for exercise/hobby/cultural/etc. reasons, then not necessarily.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes and no. All in all it depends on three things.
1, What are you training for? Most sport schools (notice I said sport, not sport karate, think about the wording) don't need to worry about it. It's not something they will encounter in a sparring match. If you're training for physical/spiritual health, or overall self perfection, again no. You don't need a gun to perfect yourslef. If for self defense, it depends on the next points.
2, How do you mean? If you mean employing one (like the military) it depends. If you mean the militarys martial traditions, then yah. If for the civilain, maybe not actually using one. Defedning against one is anouther matter, and I cover that in point three.
3, Were do you live? In my area, guns are used somewhat rarely, in New York we got a whole 'nother kettle of fish. I'd be more concered about baseball bats and knives. If I live in New York, yah of course I'm more likely to need to know how to defend against it. Will I train it even if I don't need it based on my area? Of course, you never know what you might encounter.

Answer your question?

Latest Discussions