No Shows -Kids and Instructors

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

There must be some compensation (somehow) for those you are asking to help you.

To often, this is a sore point for many martial artists. They get used so much in working for others while the head man makes a profit. (not to imply that you're abusing your students)

:D

Assistant Instructor status and patches are given generally at Green belt.. with the spelled out knowledge that 150 hours of teaching is required per belt level. It's not a requisite for the student to attain rank.. that's their choice. If they choose not to assist in teaching then they forfeit. The Teaching is done when Seig or I are present. We don't put demands on the students to take over what we do. We are always there for questions etc during kids class and right out there on the floor if need be. The whole idea of lower belts teaching the beginners is to help them ( the assistants) to ingrain the tecs, forms etc. into themselves as well as teaching others.

If we had a school full of Blackbelts and demanded they teach then that's a whole different story. We are not doing that. We are only following our school criteria :)

Tess

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Kirk

I feel for her, because she had to face reality, and sometimes
that hurts. That's all I mean by it.

If my instructor asked me how many I knew "cold", he would've
had to expand on that. I think our definitions of it are different.

Also, just out of curiosity when you talked to all of your students,
was it a one on one deal, or in front of the class? I've never been
comfortable tooting my own horn in front of people.
I did that on a case by case basis. Some were very one on one and some were in front of their peers. It depended on the personality involved.

Latest Discussions