Nia Abdullah VS. Dianna Lopez

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hands down sparring is just a response to the particular rules of Olympic TKD sparring. So is the way that both competitors were sparring. It's just a game, not a fight. The competitor that understands the rules the best and develops their skills within that paradigm is the one that is going to be the most successful.

With that being said, yes it was a boring match, but there was a major mental game going on between the two fighters. Lots of working for position and trying to out fake the other fighter. Anyway, I don't think you can totally dismiss these two...

I wouldn't dismiss them of course but I like my fighting more gutsy, more in yer face lol! it's a bit dainty for me :)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the WTF-rules competition I've seen at tournaments, people almost never have their hands up. Quick movements, in and out; lots of faking and feinting; lots of evasion and counterkicking. But almost never a guard. As UpN says, it's just what happens when you set up the point-scoring a certain way.

And what's interesting is that I've seen some karate competition that looked very similar, in just that way.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By 2012, you will see TKD out and Karate in.

No that will not happen, what you will see in the next couple of years is bringing the hands back into play and allowing hand shots to the head. This is what is needed to keep it going.

On to Tez question this is a game they are playing and most players are counter fighters which means you keep your hands down and than re-act to there movements.

I am not abig fan of keeping there hands down at anytime.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the WTF-rules competition I've seen at tournaments, people almost never have their hands up. Quick movements, in and out; lots of faking and feinting; lots of evasion and counterkicking. But almost never a guard. As UpN says, it's just what happens when you set up the point-scoring a certain way.

And what's interesting is that I've seen some karate competition that looked very similar, in just that way.

I guess my way of teaching is different than other Olympic style of fighting we drill our students to keep there gaurds up and to attack, this always throw there opponet into I do not know type of mode. I guess that is why we win alot.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess my way of teaching is different than other Olympic style of fighting we drill our students to keep there gaurds up and to attack, this always throw there opponet into I do not know type of mode. I guess that is why we win alot.

Makes sense to me, Terry. Head shots with the hand and so on also do—anything that reintroduces some relation to an actual fight, for heaven's sake! But we seem to be approaching a watershed, a real parting of the ways... I dunno, maybe the Abdullah/Lopez debâcle will help push things to some kind of resolution along those lines.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Makes sense to me, Terry. Head shots with the hand and so on also do—anything that reintroduces some relation to an actual fight, for heaven's sake! But we seem to be approaching a watershed, a real parting of the ways... I dunno, maybe the Abdullah/Lopez debâcle will help push things to some kind of resolution along those lines.

I think USAT has alot of question to answer to there membership and the IOC at this point. I hope this will further make people relize that we should be bringing real TKD back to the Olympics and not a game like this.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think USAT has alot of question to answer to there membership and the IOC at this point. I hope this will further make people relize that we should be bringing real TKD back to the Olympics and not a game like this.

If that happens, no one will be happier than me (well, OK, maybe a few people will be, but I'll still be very happy! :)) But it will involve a radical about-face on the American org's part (and, ultimately, the Korean central command of the WTF). A lot of people have a lot at stake on promoting the status quo, no matter how negative the spinoff effects.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If that happens, no one will be happier than me (well, OK, maybe a few people will be, but I'll still be very happy! :)) But it will involve a radical about-face on the American org's part (and, ultimately, the Korean central command of the WTF). A lot of people have a lot at stake on promoting the status quo, no matter how negative the spinoff effects.

Without it being an Olympic event they will loose alot more change must be grasp and welcome to preserve the outcome. I know I will be behind the movement as well, either by supporting or starting the movement with some other people. It is time that a change is made one way or the other.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Without it being an Olympic event they will loose alot more change must be grasp and welcome to preserve the outcome. I know I will be behind the movement as well, either by supporting or starting the movement with some other people. It is time that a change is made one way or the other.

Yes. We—many of us—are waiting, trying to be patient, for this to happen. Please, let it be soon...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes. We—many of us—are waiting, trying to be patient, for this to happen. Please, let it be soon...

I agree, I have ben on the band wagon for a couple of years. I keep hearing the rumble but no results have been made.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here are the other 2 fights from this past weekend that determined the 2008 US Olympic TKD Team:

(Mark Lopez v Chris Martinez)

And by far the best fight of the 3
(Charlotte Craig v Anees Hassain)

Last edited by a moderator:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since when do the competitors start calling points...

trojanhorse

White Belt
Reaction score
I have reviewed the video. I am sadden by what I see... First and foremost the Lopezs are outstanding athletes and individuals. I have seen them practice,compete, and teach; they are truely amazing world class champions. I don't know much about Nia(good stuff), thanks to the media.
The video (can't be used as evidence USArules) clearly show the judges were not going to award body points to Nia. Head kicks are discresionary, this is not AAU, making contact to the head is not a point. Diana tacticly fell down to avoid the full impact of the head kick(s), should of had multiple point deductions, though. If we disregard the entire 3 rounds, then Diana won SD with a RRH. Even Diana's point is questionable though, the other two judge's vision would have been obstructed, they could have only scored because of subjective influence. I doubt you can get all 4 judges to conspire, but the computer scoring records would shed some light on who was more motivated to help the cause.
This is my first blog, sorry for the long runons, but I was finally motivated to speak by the realization that Nia and Chris's commitment of 4 years, and be violated by the sport they dedicate their lives to. For the integrity of the USA and TKD, there needs to be a change(safeguard) to the subjective scoring and influence of us humans(greedy)!
I realized Jean the US coach was human when he claimed on camera, that " he is the US coach first and brother second" saddly this is called conflict of interest

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have reviewed the video. I am sadden by what I see... First and foremost the Lopezs are outstanding athletes and individuals. I have seen them practice,compete, and teach; they are truely amazing world class champions. I don't know much about Nia(good stuff), thanks to the media.
The video (can't be used as evidence USArules) clearly show the judges were not going to award body points to Nia. Head kicks are discresionary, this is not AAU, making contact to the head is not a point. Diana tacticly fell down to avoid the full impact of the head kick(s), should of had multiple point deductions, though. If we disregard the entire 3 rounds, then Diana won SD with a RRH. Even Diana's point is questionable though, the other two judge's vision would have been obstructed, they could have only scored because of subjective influence. I doubt you can get all 4 judges to conspire, but the computer scoring records would shed some light on who was more motivated to help the cause.
This is my first blog, sorry for the long runons, but I was finally motivated to speak by the realization that Nia and Chris's commitment of 4 years, and be violated by the sport they dedicate their lives to. For the integrity of the USA and TKD, there needs to be a change(safeguard) to the subjective scoring and influence of us humans(greedy)!
I realized Jean the US coach was human when he claimed on camera, that " he is the US coach first and brother second" saddly this is called conflict of interest

First off welcome and now on to some points of interest here, the last head shot in round three knock Diana to the side and was full contract with that being said Nia won the match 2-0. If the refereee's would gave penalty points for falling and avoiding the fight Nia wins 3-0. Anyway you cut it Nia dominated the match and was clearly the aggressor thoughout the match. Dianna last kick was to the upper arm and should have never been.

I love the Lopez and they are great athletes no question about it, Nia is a great athlete as well, she is the defending Silver medalist from 2004 and should be given some type of respect from that alone. I cannot say what was going though the corner refs. minds but I will say they was not watching the same match. I agree changes need to be made so things like this does not happen.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see from the video but what is the configuration for judges and refs?
In karate we had four judges one each corner of the mat and two referees.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't see from the video but what is the configuration for judges and refs?
In karate we had four judges one each corner of the mat and two referees.

We have four corner judges scoring the match and one center ref.

trojanhorse

White Belt
Reaction score
I have just reviewed Chris and Mark's match. It was a good match. I know Chris personally, he is the toughest competitor around, mentally and physically. The judging appeared fair, there might have been different judges for this match. Chris has been training and living for this moment for at least eight years and to suggest they threw the fight, g- agreement, is not a rational thought. Thanks for the welcome,terryl965

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello trojanhorse I can see your are from Houston, where do you train. I know alot of people down there and instructors.

Chris had a great match and so did Charlotte, like I said I do not believe Dianna did anything wrong, but the scoring was skeptical at best. Who knows maybe we know each other?

Latest Discussions