Nia Abdullah VS. Dianna Lopez

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before everybody goes off this is the actual fight, I know hands down and stuff but the tragity is simple Nia beat Dianna and yet the official at USAT gave it to her for the publicity of all three brothers and sister making the Olympic games.

Watch for yourself you wii see Nia hit Dianna in the head on three seperate occasion and never got a point for it and finally lost 0-1 in overtime.

Nia vs. Diana:

Last edited by a moderator:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I don't care who gets on the Olympic team. But that was robbery! Nia had 3 head shots & more than a few legit trunk kicks to score. To be fair, Diana had a few body shots that should have scored too. It was still Nia's fight:although quite a boring fight. IMO

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And then people wonder why so many of us regard the Olympic manifestation of TKD, whether in Korea or in the US, as as corrupt and rigged as Olympic figure skating... :rolleyes:

Every time something like this happens, it just give those hostile to the dilution of TKD into a martial sport/spectacle another weapon to use against the credibility of the WTF and its branch plants.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And then people wonder why so many of us regard the Olympic manifestation of TKD, whether in Korea or in the US, as as corrupt and rigged as Olympic figure skating... :rolleyes:

Every time something like this happens, it just give those hostile to the dilution of TKD into a martial sport/spectacle another weapon to use against the credibility of the WTF and its branch plants.

I know folks may say it's too fine a distinction, but it's one of the reasons I say I'm affiliated with the Kukkiwon: rather than the WTF.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know folks may say it's too fine a distinction, but it's one of the reasons I say I'm affiliated with the Kukkiwon: rather than the WTF.

No, it's definitely an important and real distinction. I have the strong suspicion that the KKW's technical agenda is closely tied to Olympic sport considerations, and that their treatment of hyungs in particular is guided with at least on eye on the 'martial spectacle' aspect... but they are definitely quite different orgs and the KKW is definitely at one arm's length remove from the incredibly dishonest vote-trading/vote-buying/full-scale bribery and shakedown artistry of Olympic affiliated sport.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree the fight was boring as hell and Nia had her beat, I too really do not care except from the standpoint of fair play which once again has proven the field of play is not fair. Nia is the past silver medalist but yet she gets treated as if she is a bum, roght now I feel sorry for the sport and for fair play.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
wow, that is one of the poorest examples of judging I have ever seen.
WOW!
Like Master Stoker said, I just feel bad for Nia.
very sad...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard from someone who was there & watched the fight. She had the same thoughts. She also said, Chris Martinez handed the win to Mark Lopez. Neither his coach, nor Jean were in their fighter's corner. A "gentlemen's agreement" it seems.

Some might say the story of all 4 Lopez's representing the US is good for sport. I can't see how when it blows their integrity.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard from someone who was there & watched the fight. She had the same thoughts. She also said, Chris Martinez handed the win to Mark Lopez. Neither his coach, nor Jean were in their fighter's corner. A "gentlemen's agreement" it seems.

Some might say the story of all 4 Lopez's representing the US is good for sport. I can't see how when it blows their integrity.

Chtis just let Mark win plain and simple, this young man gave up a chance of a lifetime for his buddy and coach. I guess I do not understand! One of my friends was there and said the crowd was booing and sayinf and yelling cheets and cheaters. All I can say is this has set us back fifty years,

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chtis just let Mark win plain and simple, this young man gave up a chance of a lifetime for his buddy and coach. I guess I do not understand! One of my friends was there and said the crowd was booing and sayinf and yelling cheets and cheaters. All I can say is this has set us back fifty years,

At this rate, Olympic TKD is going to catch up with pro wrestling by the next Olympics!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just for the record I have heard though the grapevine that Nia is going to file to see if she can get the decission over turned. Do not know id it is true or not.

This was the worst yet by USAT and the injustice will carry a cloud over the sport for years to come.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just for the record I have heard though the grapevine that Nia is going to fill to see if she can get the decission over turned. Do not know id it is true or not.

This was the worst yet by USAT and the injustice will carry a cloud over the sport for years to come.

Best of luck to her... those guys are completely, utterly without any shame at all, it seems.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does anyone on the Olympic team have a chance to medal? If not, maybe they just need something to promote the sport?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone on the Olympic team have a chance to medal? If not, maybe they just need something to promote the sport?

Steven the elder has won gold the last two Olympics and alot of people are saying he is getting a bit low. Nia won Silver and was probaly are best chance, USAT wanted all the sibling together for promotional reasons here in the US, the last time there was three familt members in the same Olympic was around 1908 I believe. We may not even come home with any this year, at anyrate what ever appens and you goes they are our Olympic athletes and need to be treated like one. I tis not Dianna fault what the refs. did or did not call during the match.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really mean this respectfully so please don't take this the wrong way but to me that's not fighting or even sparring. it's bouncing up and down then something then bouncing up and down! I've seen plenty of TKD people sparring and it's much as I have done in karate, kicks and punches etc, full contact, with KOs. I know they are very skilful but it looks like a game they are playing not martial arts.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really mean this respectfully so please don't take this the wrong way but to me that's not fighting or even sparring. it's bouncing up and down then something then bouncing up and down! I've seen plenty of TKD people sparring and it's much as I have done in karate, kicks and punches etc, full contact, with KOs. I know they are very skilful but it looks like a game they are playing not martial arts.

This was a really weak match (I won't call it a fight). Olympic style is often more exciting that that!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a really weak match (I won't call it a fight). Olympic style is often more exciting that that!

What's with the arms down by the side though? No guard? surely it should be continuous?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The hands down sparring is just a response to the particular rules of Olympic TKD sparring. So is the way that both competitors were sparring. It's just a game, not a fight. The competitor that understands the rules the best and develops their skills within that paradigm is the one that is going to be the most successful.

With that being said, yes it was a boring match, but there was a major mental game going on between the two fighters. Lots of working for position and trying to out fake the other fighter. Anyway, I don't think you can totally dismiss these two...

Latest Discussions