• Going Out

• Staying Home

• Not doing Anthing

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So is anybody going out this year or having an in house party or like me not doing a dammed thing..

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I won't be doing anything as my wife works that night. At least she had Christmass Eve off.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't generally do anything for New Year's Eve - stay home with the dog, maybe buy something better than usual for dinner (mmm.... Chinese take out... or maybe steak... hmm.... gonna have to think about that one) - but I don't really enjoy being out in noisy drunken crowds or waiting forever to get a seat so I can wait forever to get my food.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've DJ'd New Years Eve parties in the past..A few were great , the rest sucked especially once the alcohol kicks in on some of the lightweights..

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a long standing tradition with two other couples, we get together each year for a quiet evening with people we enjoy being with. We take turns hosting and have been doing it for the last 20+ years.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Partying styles seem to have changed a lot in the last couple of decades, and not just because we're all getting older... I really think the whole glow of the idea `New Year's Eve' party has dimmed quite a bit, partly because of much tougher law enforcement targeting impaired driving, partly because out own attitudes towards that sort of thing have changed in the direction of less tolerance, but mostly because a lot of people, young as well as old, seem to view the future with a good deal more apprehension than we used to.

When I was a university student, it seemed a foregone conclusion that we—all the world—were making steady progress and that the New Year, and all new years, should be greeted enthusiastically as the place in time where the next stage of that progress would be realized. I don't think most of us feel that way now, certainly not to anything like the same degree. I think New Year's is a much more reflective and low key time for that reason...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well being married with three kids staying home, but the added value is we leave New Yeras day for Colorado so staying home is a great thing this year.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is anybody going out this year or having an in house party or like me not doing a dammed thing..
No special plans... I think the wife intends to sacrifice a bottle of champagne.

Regarding changes in practices...

I know we're not seeing the drunks and fights and such that we once did. There are still parties, and I'm sure some of the bars get rowdy... but in the town where I work, we haven't seen New Year's Eve as being a really major issue for years. I think sanctions about DUI have led to more sanity over the years. And, more and more of us have to work the next day.

(I remember the first year that the department store I worked in for several years was open on New Year's Day. I'd been to a party, and literally left the party, and slept in the parking lot of the store, since I had to open it up. We didn't expect anyone there... and looked in hungover disbelief at the crowd waiting to get in...)

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have 2 daughters who were born in September. I am never ever doing nothing on New Year's Eve ever again.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I selected 'Going Out' because we were invited to a party. I'm not sure we are going yet, but it would be nice to get out and party a little.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I voted "Not doing anything." We generally stay home and watch the celebration at Toronto City Hall on TV. I think I lost interest in the Holiday as a result of tending bar on New Year's Eve for a few years. It's a rather loud holiday for my liking.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For the last several years, we've stayed home on New Years Eve, but we host a "fuzzy slippers/silly movie" party on New Year's Day. The idea is to ring in the new year in comfy clothes, laughing with freinds...it's great! Sometimes we only have 1 or 2 folks show...sometimes we have a crowd...either way, we have a great time and laugh in the first day of the new year.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the last several years, we've stayed home on New Years Eve, but we host a "fuzzy slippers/silly movie" party on New Year's Day. The idea is to ring in the new year in comfy clothes, laughing with freinds...it's great! Sometimes we only have 1 or 2 folks show...sometimes we have a crowd...either way, we have a great time and laugh in the first day of the new year.

That sounds like fun.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's hysterical...and we get to see some horribly funny flicks...some horrible...some funny..and some...both...in a "rocky horror" kinda way

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I lost interest in the Holiday as a result of tending bar on New Year's Eve for a few years. It's a rather loud holiday for my liking.

I hear ya Gordon..I was a bouncer for years and always dreaded having to work New Years Eve..