New To Tracys Kenpo

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Its been about four months since I started taking Kenpo in Mt Vernon Ohio and I must say I love it. My wife and I have been trianing in TKD for many years but we wanted to try somthing alittle different to get a more well rounded view of MA. If TKD is water Kenpo is Fire in my opinion. We both love training in Kenpo. I was curious if many others on here "cross trained" with Kenpo? I know there is TWIN FIST that trains in both.

p.s. so far the tech. I like the most are Crash Of The Eagle and Crossing Talon

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my opinion, Crash of the Eagle is one of the most useful techs in the system. The stepping can be adjusted while utilizing the same clearing movement with the elbow and follow-ups, to defend against many attacks from many directions. This does not need to be limited to the rear attack to the neck.

You can step to the side to defend against a grab from the side, or step back to defend against an attack from the front. The clearing move can be effective whether the intented attack is a grab, push, or punch.

The basic movements in this tech are extremely useful and versatile.

OP
DBZ

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Agreed, thats why i like it, congrats on shodan by the way

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
p.s. so far the tech. I like the most are Crash Of The Eagle and Crossing Talon

I am a big fan of Crossing Talon. By the time you finish with the purple belt curriculum, you will have learned a number of variations of that technique, and it will continue to pop up throughout.

Glad you're enjoying it!

OP
DBZ

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My instuctor teaches from an older arrangement of the tech. He said it is the 2nd set, He learned them in this order in the early 80s so he said he is going to teach them in that order aswell. Do you teach the tech in the current order or an older arrangement?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My instuctor teaches from an older arrangement of the tech. He said it is the 2nd set, He learned them in this order in the early 80s so he said he is going to teach them in that order aswell. Do you teach the tech in the current order or an older arrangement?

I teach the current curriculum in the current order. But it has been this way since I began.

Who is your teacher?

OP
DBZ

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bob Zoldak Godan, He teachs out of Mt vernon Ohio. I like his class very much.

kenpojitsu13

White Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on coming to the Tracy's system. I have cross-trained in Tracy's Kenpo and Brazilian Ju-jitsu. The two systems compliment each other very well and cover each aspect and range that you will come across in a self-defense situation. I have trained with Mark Miller out of Parma Hts. ohio and achieved the rank of shodan. He is a phenomenal instructor and mentor. Keep up with the training!!!!

PatMunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of Tracy's Kenpo .... I've heard good things about your instructor, Bob Zoldak. I know you will enjoy your training there. You are just getting started, give it a year and you'll have lots more to be excited about.

Crossing Talon is one of the best techniques that can be used anywhere you get control of the outside center line of the opponent.

Enjoy ...

Latest Discussions