New to this world

Constantin

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello
I'm 21 years old and Im from Moldova but now moved to Dublin(Ireland)
I never was in a gym and never realy did workout and such and I usually was spending my free time on computer but I was OK
But now here in Dublin with a lot of unhealthy food I'm getting fat xd I got + 7kg in 5 month and have now 72kg and I'm 170 cm tall.
I'm not fat but I see that my stomach is growing and I wanna go to gym but I feels way to boring so I started to look at all martial arts but can't decide what to practice...
Saw krav maga good for self defence and some nice training to get fit but seems to aggressive witch I don't rly like
Though about Muay Thai but also kind of brutal
Maybe jujitsu but I don't know....
And I don't think I want to be on the ground much because in real life it's concrete everywhere so I can get hurt
In fact I want something like how to dodge block throw maybe how to land some good punches or kicks
But I always appreciated skill more than brute force and that's what I'm looking for
But I have no idea what to chose....aaa help me please with some suggestions

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It kind of all takes skill.

Wrestling is a very versatile skill that lets you stay on your feet.

And our skilled wrestles throw the bigger rugby alpha males around like rag dolls.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello
I never was in a gym and never realy did workout and such and I usually was spending my free time on computer but I was OK
But now here in Dublin with a lot of unhealthy food I'm getting fat xd I got + 7kg in 5 month and have now 72kg and I'm 170 cm tall.
I'm not fat but I see that my stomach is growing and I wanna go to gym but I feels way to boring so I started to look at all martial arts but can't decide what to practice...
Saw krav maga good for self defence and some nice training to get fit but seems to aggressive witch I don't rly like
And I don't think I want to be on the ground much because in real life it's concrete everywhere so I can get hurt
In fact I want something like how to dodge block throw maybe how to land some good punches or kicks
But I always appreciated skill more than brute force and that's what I'm looking for

Welcome to MT. Look around your area and see what's available.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like Karate would fit what you are looking for

And welcome to the board

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, ah Dublin, it would take a saint not to put weight on there lol. It's a lovely place, with so much good food and Guinness!
I know an extremely good place to train there, probably one of the best in the world. Muay Thai and other styles may look brutal but no one throws you into it, you start as a beginner working your way through techniques etc.
Anyway give these guys a try, I can vouch for them, they are friendly, very knowledgeable and once you get going you won't regret it!
Getting Started

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, bro. :)

Just go train in anything, the workout will help you with your weight. And it's really fun.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well all martial arts teach fighting so it's going to be agreesive and if you want to punch and kick jiu jitsu woukdnt do that for you

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello
So let's see if I have this. You want
  1. A good workout
  2. Not too "brutal" feeling
  3. Requires skill and subtlety

I'm going to recommend Brazilian JuJitsu and/or Judo (with a focus on newaza / ground grappling).

Trust me it's a great workout, it gives you options of controlled restraining, and most people are surprised at the subtlety required in what they assumed was "just wrastling."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
If by "aggressive" you mean they use a lot of strikes that will cause a lot of pain, go with a throwing/grappling art.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Welcome to MT

I could tell you what I think, but since I have no idea what schools are near you and I really do not know you it wouldn't mean much. Look at schools in your area, give a few a try and see which one you like and go for it.

Also though they may look aggressive, there is sometimes a lot more there that is unknown until you get into them

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I recommend going and trying a few things. If you don't like it, discontinue. If you do, congratulations! now keep training in it. :D

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
nothing wrong with junk food. thats why you exercise. anyway,

hello!

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Try lots of arts and see what you like. Typically wrestlers and judoka are tough customers. Well, except me. ;)

Since you're in Ireland, why not try celtic wrestling? I don't know if you can find Irish Collar and Elbow anymore, but it would be super cool.

Barring that, judo, boxing, wrestling, bjj... it's all good if you enjoy it.

Latest Discussions