New to posting

fmusto

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been a member since the summer but have not posted. The time has come to start to ask questions and answer them as opposed to just reading everyones informative comments. I am a green belt in American Kenpo, testing on March 31st for my Third degree brown. As difficukt as it is it is well worth the amount of hours I am putting in. I have great instructors who are dedictated and care about each students progress. I am havinbg some difficulty remembering all the techniques involved in Kenpo and the Kata even though I know them pretty well. There seems to be something that is missing in my brain that remebers everything when I am in front of others. I look forward to posting and continue to read your insights.
Frank

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk!

Don't worry too much; American Kenpo has a lot of techniques to remember. :)

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad you came out of lurker mode! Have fun posting! :)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
fmusto said:
I have been a member since the summer but have not posted. The time has come to start to ask questions and answer them as opposed to just reading everyones informative comments. I am a green belt in American Kenpo, testing on March 31st for my Third degree brown. As difficukt as it is it is well worth the amount of hours I am putting in. I have great instructors who are dedictated and care about each students progress. I am havinbg some difficulty remembering all the techniques involved in Kenpo and the Kata even though I know them pretty well. There seems to be something that is missing in my brain that remebers everything when I am in front of others. I look forward to posting and continue to read your insights.
Frank

Welcome, Frank! :wavey: Yep, American Kenpo has A LOT of information! I will be testing for my next brown belt this month too. It is indeed a challenge to remember all of these moves in the forms and the techniques, especially when someone (like my instructor) is watching closely. I have found a way for me to remember is to try to think of an image associated with the name, and every time I practice the technique, I think of the name and the image. Practice, practice, repetition! At least, my memory lapses have decreased. I hope I do well with my upcoming belt test too.

With Kicking Set 5, for example, I will take the initials of those kicks (F for front, R for roundhouse kick, S for side, and B for back kick), create words with them, and make a silly sentence using those words in their proper order (for kicking sets 1, 2, 3, and 4). These sentences helps me to remember when I need to do the kicking sets.

Good luck!

- Ceicei

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm also new to posting and I really enjoy reading the posting from all the other members. Good luck with the brown belt test. Remember to breath you will do great.

kenpotroop

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Frank! Enjoy your stay!

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A warm welcome to our new members

Testing is always hard on the mind. I think thats why we test it keeps the mind active and the body has to respond by instinct almost. I'm sure you will do well so keep us informed

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on coming out of lurkdom! lol Happy Posting! :asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Howdy, Frank and welcome! Enjoy your stay here at MartialTalk, we hope you find it as enjoyable as the rest of us do. :asian:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Frank! Glad to (finally) have you with us! :)

OP
F

fmusto

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Good luck to you as well. I will send a note how the test went.
Frank

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
welcome!
I have found that teaching is a great way to help remember everything. Have you tried assistant instructing?