New Sword

The blade’s shape style is known as ā€˜hira zukuri’ or flat. This is the usual form for tantō and some wakizashi. You can see the grain on the blade and it is different to SōhÅā€™s.
20260421_104046.webp
 
Last edited:
The tsuka is wrapped with ray skin and you can see the large ā€˜emperor node’ (oyatsubu) and gradually dimidhing one’s. They are highly prized with only one per ray.
20260421_103727.webp
 
The habaki that wedges the tantō in the scabbard, is copper with a thick gold foil overlaid.
20260421_104046.webp
 
Last edited:
My friend, from who I bought the two swords (even a dagger is genetically known as a ā€˜sword’ in Japan) took both swords along to a ā€˜shinsa’ (inspection/examination/review). Surprisingly, the experts were particularly enamored by the tantō. They suggested it’s subdued elegance and perfect steel we’re very special. It is lovely and feels substantial and well balanced in the hand. The ray king gives it a lot of grip; it’s like rough sandpaper!
 
Yes.

I used to vacuum seal my swords but was advised against it since damp pockets of any remaining air can cause corrosion. So circulating air is better. In Japan they store them in paulownia boxes which are porous. I use a sealed gun case and silica gel packets- the opposite of what long term storage requires.

They are always oiled to prevent oxygen getting to the steel. Surpringly, Japsnese sword steel doesn’t corrode easily. They really have to be abused to to that. So a smear of mineral oil once every few week after wiping the old stuff off and it’s fine.

I wish I could continuously pipe dry aron into the case…
I use a plug in ā€œ golden rodā€ in my gun safes to continually keep warm dry air circulating. Obviously, my guns are oiled and lubed ready for use. I am meticulous about cleaning and maintenance. I use them often and regularly admonish my wife for steaming up the bath and then leaving the room open. I live in a very cool humid area so maintaining metal requires some extra diligence.
 
My friend, from who I bought the two swords (even a dagger is genetically known as a ā€˜sword’ in Japan) took both swords along to a ā€˜shinsa’ (inspection/examination/review). Surprisingly, the experts were particularly enamored by the tantō. They suggested it’s subdued elegance and perfect steel we’re very special. It is lovely and feels substantial and well balanced in the hand. The ray king gives it a lot of grip; it’s like rough sandpaper!
I bought green rayskin wallet and it has a large emperor node running down the middle. I love how they file down the points to make the leather grippy but not too rough.
 
I use a plug in ā€œ golden rodā€ in my gun safes to continually keep warm dry air circulating.
I’ve never heard of that.
Obviously, my guns are oiled and lubed ready for use.
I do add a squirt of gun oil to my sword oil cloth as it contains a ā€˜powerful rust inhibitor’. Every little helps!
I am meticulous about cleaning and maintenance.
A man after my own heart šŸ‘šŸ½
I use them often and regularly admonish my wife for steaming up the bath and then leaving the room open.
<Gasp>
I live in a very cool humid area so maintaining metal requires some extra diligence.
One can never be too diligent when it comes to caring for steel. I love steel. It’s the most amazing alloy in the world.
 
I’ve never heard of that.

I do add a squirt of gun oil to my sword oil cloth as it contains a ā€˜powerful rust inhibitor’. Every little helps!

A man after my own heart šŸ‘šŸ½

<Gasp>

One can never be too diligent when it comes to caring for steel. I love steel. It’s the most amazing alloy in the world.
Ah! ā€œThe riddle of steelā€
 
I’ve never heard of that.

I do add a squirt of gun oil to my sword oil cloth as it contains a ā€˜powerful rust inhibitor’. Every little helps!

A man after my own heart šŸ‘šŸ½

<Gasp>

One can never be too diligent when it comes to caring for steel. I love steel. It’s the most amazing alloy in the world.
ā€œNot man, not woman, not beast, but, steel you can trustā€. ā€œSteel is strong, but flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?ā€
 
My friend, from who I bought the two swords (even a dagger is genetically known as a ā€˜sword’ in Japan) took both swords along to a ā€˜shinsa’ (inspection/examination/review). Surprisingly, the experts were particularly enamored by the tantō. They suggested it’s subdued elegance and perfect steel we’re very special. It is lovely and feels substantial and well balanced in the hand. The ray king gives it a lot of grip; it’s like rough sandpaper!
Nihonto - 刀 - knife
 
Back
Top