New Sword

The point (kissaki) is elegantly long but not quite a very long ā€˜Okissaki’. However, performing the advanced ā€˜okuiai’ kata, with its snappy fast noto, will be dicey! I couldn’t capture the hamon of the kissaki (boshi or hat), but its beauty need not be questioned. It is hakikake/kaen in form.

20260420_120420.webp
 
It is frighteningly sharp and thus cleaning and oiling was performed with great care. I think I mentioned it was forged by Sadayoshi Enomoto (1908-2000) who, had he accepted the role of head of the ā€˜Nihon Bijutsu Token Hozon ā€˜ or the ā€˜Society for the Preservation of Japanese Art Swords’, would’ve been designated as a living national treasure (ā€˜Ningen Kokuho’), but he turned it down. I am privileged to be it’s new custodian.

Next, I’ll post images of it’s sister kowakizashi or small short sword.
 
Here’s the sugata or overall shape of the blade. Can you see the maximum curvature (sori) is slightly more to the handle (tsuka) end. This is know as ā€˜koshi sori’ and is characteristic of blades made in the Kamakura era (1185-1333) /Nanbokuchō (1336-1392). It allows for a higher end (monouchi) velocity when cutting.

View attachment 34071
I am so fascinated by this!
 
Uninformed katana fans tend to focus on the tempered border of the sword (hamon or in the US hah-moh). However, the true aficionado pays closer attention on the grain (jihada) within the folded steel. This blade has a truly incredible ā€˜mokume’ or swirling wood/tree knot grain. I have never seen a blade where this is as pronounced as in this blade. It is stunning!

View attachment 34072View attachment 34073
Astonishingly beautiful!
 
I’m so pleased you like it. Everybody else is more interested in rolling around on the ground with other men šŸ¤ØšŸ˜‰
 
I’m so pleased you like it. Everybody else is more interested in rolling around on the ground with other men šŸ¤ØšŸ˜‰
Like it? I’m enthralled! How does it feel in the hand? I’m not a blade expert but I am an enthusiast and also very much and elitist pig when it comes to hardware or anything martial. I characterized a knife I own as ā€œaliveā€ due to the way it feels in my hand as opposed to others.
 
It is frighteningly sharp and thus cleaning and oiling was performed with great care. I think I mentioned it was forged by Sadayoshi Enomoto (1908-2000) who, had he accepted the role of head of the ā€˜Nihon Bijutsu Token Hozon ā€˜ or the ā€˜Society for the Preservation of Japanese Art Swords’, would’ve been designated as a living national treasure (ā€˜Ningen Kokuho’), but he turned it down. I am privileged to be it’s new custodian.

Next, I’ll post images of it’s sister kowakizashi or small short sword.
Heavenly Heaving Frosty Boobies has a sister?! Hot damn! This is my day! Dare I ask her name?
 
Here’s the sugata or overall shape of the blade. Can you see the maximum curvature (sori) is slightly more to the handle (tsuka) end. This is know as ā€˜koshi sori’ and is characteristic of blades made in the Kamakura era (1185-1333) /Nanbokuchō (1336-1392). It allows for a higher end (monouchi) velocity when cutting.

View attachment 34071
So they take the sword apart and store the blade in this wood furniture? You say to let air circulate? Is there a worry about rust? How does one prevent that when storing like this? So many questions I have about this.
 
How does this start? There was a kendo school near you and you saw a flyer in the laundromat?
In the UK, you had to search things out. I was practising Karate, getting bored of the poor teaching and politics and I went to a martial arts demonstration at Broughten Leisure centre in Manchester. There were two Kendoka giving a demo and was attracted by its dynamism and the teachers were absolutely lovely! I joined the dojo and every third week we the class was Iaido. I hated it! As a young man, it seemed boring. I wanted the clashing of bamboo swords, body-checking and bellowing at the top of my lungs. But we practised Iai to get the feel of using more realistic swords and everything that goes with it.

University came along and there was a hiatus of about 10+ years. One day at work, I went for a pee and somebody was wearing a tracksuit top with ā€˜Sheffield Iaido’ on the back. I let him finish and zip up before questioning him about the whereabouts of the Iaido dojo etc and the rest is history.
 
Like it? I’m enthralled! How does it feel in the hand? I’m not a blade expert but I am an enthusiast and also very much and elitist pig when it comes to hardware or anything martial. I characterized a knife I own as ā€œaliveā€ due to the way it feels in my hand as opposed to others.
It’s beautifully balanced and feels really solid; no rattling of the various fixtures. That balance makes it feel deceptively light, but this is something I’ve found with my other well-made swords. It’s very long too and that’s going to take some getting used to. The main vibe it gives is of beauty; it’s very pretty in proportion and jihada.
 
So they take the sword apart and store the blade in this wood furniture?
Yes.
You say to let air circulate?
I used to vacuum seal my swords but was advised against it since damp pockets of any remaining air can cause corrosion. So circulating air is better. In Japan they store them in paulownia boxes which are porous. I use a sealed gun case and silica gel packets- the opposite of what long term storage requires.
Is there a worry about rust?
They are always oiled to prevent oxygen getting to the steel. Surpringly, Japsnese sword steel doesn’t corrode easily. They really have to be abused to to that. So a smear of mineral oil once every few week after wiping the old stuff off and it’s fine.
How does one prevent that when storing like this? So many questions I have about this.
I wish I could continuously pipe dry aron into the case…
 
Here’s the sugata or overall shape of the blade. Can you see the maximum curvature (sori) is slightly more to the handle (tsuka) end. This is know as ā€˜koshi sori’ and is characteristic of blades made in the Kamakura era (1185-1333) /Nanbokuchō (1336-1392). It allows for a higher end (monouchi) velocity when cutting.

View attachment 34071
Is that toiletries above the sword stuff, did you…… ā€œbring it with youā€ from the Hilton
 
Is that toiletries above the sword stuff, did you……
Facial tissues to wipe the blade of oil, specially smoothed uchiko powder (in the blue box) to soak up any oil left on the blade, a pillow to rest the blade upon and a small piece of cloth with a special thick mineral oil to reapply onto the blade. There’s a jeweler’s loupe on the right to look closely at the details of the blade.

In the UK, the trend seems to be clamping toiletries to the wall of the bathroom so they can’t be stolen. I blame foreign visitors šŸ˜‘šŸ˜‰ They’re cheap stuff anyway…I only use Acqua di Parma ā˜ŗļø
 
Facial tissues to wipe the blade of oil, specially smoothed uchiko powder (in the blue box) to soak up any oil left on the blade, a pillow to rest the blade upon and a small piece of cloth with a special thick mineral oil to reapply onto the blade. There’s a jeweler’s loupe on the right to look closely at the details of the blade.

In the UK, the trend seems to be clamping toiletries to the wall of the bathroom so they can’t be stolen. I blame foreign visitors šŸ˜‘šŸ˜‰ They’re cheap stuff anyway…I only use Acqua di Parma ā˜ŗļø
Isn’t Parma famous for it’s cheese and ham
 
This is the accompanying kowakizashi (short short sword). I personally would call it a tantō (dagger)
20260421_103147.webp

20260421_103359.webp
 
Back
Top